Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-31-2011, 09:12 AM

Default Need help on choosing a new rifle

Here is my situation:

My wife shoots LH and my son shoots RH. I would like to buy a rifle that they both can use. I have been looking at the T/C encore pro Hunter any pros cons or other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:27 AM

I've always wanted to add a Ruger No. 1 to my safe.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:55 AM

is it for plinking??hunting big game or deers or for varminting???
x2 on the ruger no 1
if you got a single shot it would be the safest for your boy to handle(not sure of his age).
for plinking and varmints get a mini 14.(a little dangerous if your family is new to guns)
Old 05-31-2011, 10:00 AM

The only con I see with the Encore is that it is an expensive rifle and the cost of spare barrels is almost as expensive as buying a new rifle.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:35 AM

Quote:
if you got a single shot it would be the safest for your boy to handle(not sure of his age).
for plinking and varmints get a mini 14.(a little dangerous if your family is new to guns)
Perhaps it's just me, but I don't like the idea of a left handed shooter, using a right handed semi auto, where the ejection port is opening towards his face.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:44 AM

Thanks for the input,

my wife and son (age:13) are not new to hunting or shooting. I'm not familiar with the Ruger No 1 be used RH or LH?
Old 05-31-2011, 10:51 AM

You could look at a lever action, something like a Browning blr 81.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:18 AM

If it has to be ambidextrous, you are restricted (?) to guns like the Ruger #1, Browning B78, Winchester 1885, Stevens Favorite, CPA 44-1/2, Sharps, Encore, Browning BPS shotgun, Baikal single shots, over/unders or double barrels, Merkels, H&H's, Westley-Richards,Jeffery's.
Unfortunately, with bolt actions and semiautos and other than a few pumps, you would have to buy a LH and a RH version, if they are avail in both.
Biggest restriction will be your pocketbook.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaker View Post
Thanks for the input,

my wife and son (age:13) are not new to hunting or shooting. I'm not familiar with the Ruger No 1 be used RH or LH?

The Ruger No. 1 is a nice looking single shot, so could be used left or right handed.

http://www.ruger.com/products/no1Med...er/models.html
Old 05-31-2011, 12:17 PM

Also check out the Remington 7600, a fine hunting arm that is fairly ambidextrous.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Perhaps it's just me, but I don't like the idea of a left handed shooter, using a right handed semi auto, where the ejection port is opening towards his face.
My son is a lefty, he shoots a Ruger 10/22 rh and no problem for him.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:50 PM

Quote:
My son is a lefty, he shoots a Ruger 10/22 rh and no problem for him.
My concern is for the safety of the shooter. With the ejection port in front of your face, if a case should rupture, or a primer be pushed out, the shooter would get a face full of debris.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:02 PM

Quote:
My concern is for the safety of the shooter. With the ejection port in front of your face, if a case should rupture, or a primer be pushed out, the shooter would get a face full of debris.
Yeah I'm not so sure that would be ideal either. It's not too far fetched to see a hot shell bouncing into their face. I've had a few go down my shirt on some unlucky occasions and it was... awakening.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:56 PM

Quote:
it does happen for sure..I am a lefty and there are some .22 shells that i will not shoot out of my semi because they seem to be "dirtier" than other and I get way more debris in my face.

not to minimize the danger, but I don't really worry about it too much with a .22. but i would hesitate to have a semiauto in a higher caliber in a right handed model.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:40 PM

The cost of buying a left and right handed gun is double so as an alternative the prohunter is a good choice. You can get a used prohunter for around 750. I have a TC encore with two barrels and they shoot really well with some low tech gunsmithing. I like the platform for the most part and when I go out it goes out.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:10 PM

There are some levers out there that are bottom eject that would fit the bill nicely. Browning and some of the Winchesters.

tm
Old 07-15-2011, 01:52 AM
Banned

Encores can be a bit finicky. I have one..its great but that took some additional investment. Also mine is strictly black powder now...the centerfire barrels are waaay over priced and every time I changed one...I needed to re-zero..

Have you thought of a Browning BLR. Very smooth...lever action....and detachable box magazine. I think they make a youth model as well...They are nice shooters and they are selling for about the same price they were 20 years ago...
Old 07-15-2011, 06:47 PM

Default need help on choosing a new rifle

i have a ruger no 1 in 220 swift and 45 70 they have moyers custom triggers and hicks accriser blocks on them, can be shot right or left handed falling block action ,i don/t think theres any action stronger, very nice rifles would i buy another one, yes i would ,steve
Old 07-15-2011, 07:19 PM

The older B78's with the English style stocks and zero cast are incredible ruifles, and you can change the direction that the cartridge ejects at by simply turning th e screw behind the hammer!
Only problem is finding one for less that a grand!!
The Rugers are GREAT guns, i may have owned over twenty of them since 1980!!
Cat
Old 07-15-2011, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
The older B78's with the English style stocks and zero cast are incredible ruifles, and you can change the direction that the cartridge ejects at by simply turning th e screw behind the hammer!
Only problem is finding one for less that a grand!!
The Rugers are GREAT guns, i may have owned over twenty of them since 1980!!
Cat
Hey Cat:
Hope everything goes well this weekend with the tile and the re-vamps of your space, I look forward to more shooting with you at your club in Ft Mac---probably a couple of weeks from now--still waiting for the licenses, but they will come!
Have a great weekend---enjoying doing the research for my future purchases. Also good to see on this forum about the Spruce Grove Club, and all the other great information I am getting

LB
Old 07-15-2011, 07:40 PM

Quote:
their generally ok i think now a days, i shoot left and have a mini,its fine, ruger put a deflection thingy in years ago. ar 15s have an external deflector
Old 07-15-2011, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaker View Post
Here is my situation:

My wife shoots LH and my son shoots RH. I would like to buy a rifle that they both can use. I have been looking at the T/C encore pro Hunter any pros cons or other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
get the right handed, once the fad passes your wife will probably not shoot it much, besides lefties (like me )have to get used to right handed bolts.

270 or 25-06 or 7-08 for a hunting calibre or 308 are the main ones id recomend for your family
Old 07-15-2011, 08:10 PM

Quote:
their generally ok i think now a days, i shoot left and have a mini,its fine, ruger put a deflection thingy in years ago. ar 15s have an external deflector
My concern isn't with where the empty casing are thrown, it's what would happen in the case of a ruptured case for one reason or another. In that situation, a left handed shooter's face has little protection from debris and hot gases.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:22 PM

[QUOTE=wolf308;1013124besides lefties (like me )have to get used to right handed bolts.
[/QUOTE]

Why?
Old 07-15-2011, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Why?
cause not all models are offered in left hand
Old 07-15-2011, 09:27 PM

Quote:
My concern isn't with where the empty casing are thrown, it's what would happen in the case of a ruptured case for one reason or another. In that situation, a left handed shooter's face has little protection from debris and hot gases.
oh ok copy that, after i got my mini 14 and some handloads i also bought some factory fmjs to check their accuracy vs my 1st handloads.

seen 2 split casings from the factory ammo, first time seeing split necks. ive been waiting for my 204 and 308 to split on my h-loasds,but still hasnt. anyhow their was no problem with those 2 ,but yeah i hear whta your saying.

wheres your sense of adventure? LOL.
Old 07-16-2011, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slone500 View Post
Hey Cat:
Hope everything goes well this weekend with the tile and the re-vamps of your space, I look forward to more shooting with you at your club in Ft Mac---probably a couple of weeks from now--still waiting for the licenses, but they will come!
Have a great weekend---enjoying doing the research for my future purchases. Also good to see on this forum about the Spruce Grove Club, and all the other great information I am getting

LB
Well, this forum sure is a decent place to get an idea of what goes on in Alberta as far as fire arms and such.
CGN is another good website, but the crew here( many belong to CGN as well)
seem to be a bit more of a family type of crowd and tighter knit.
As far as new rifles go, I have yours ready to rock and well try it out on Tuesday evening!
Should be an interesting time!

Cat
Old 07-17-2011, 12:30 AM

T/C Prohunters are not that expensive...

Phoenix has them on sale right now for $800 in a Camo Flex Tech stock set......

Then go ad a oversized hinge pin.. Replace the hammer and trigger springs all for probably $100 and your in business... Even without the upgrades your in business. lots of used barrels for cheap on CGN in the Part and Bits EE section..
Old 07-17-2011, 10:54 AM

My two children have the same dilema. My daughter is a lefty, and my son is a righty, albeit 3 years apart.

I settled on a NEF single shot for them. And now I'm considering the purchase of another now that they are both hunting.

The purchase price new for these rifles is <$400.00, all scoped up with decent optics your not going to be much over $600.00.

There are no absolutes
Old 07-19-2011, 09:20 PM

Don't want to be the barrer of bad news, but you may need two guns. buying one gun that two different people will share and shoot well is very difficult. What calibre can each handle? The distance the scope is mounted for each? The whey they each hold the gun? These can be all factors.

Borrowing a gun and changing for you use is one thing,but to have you son and wife use the same gun; well it is possible and can work, but is it practical.

I know the cost of buying rifles these days are outragous but I may look this way especially if they are shooting opposite positions.

If you must buy one ( which I totally understand, because money can be tight) the go for the single shot. it can easily be shot by right or left handed shooters. Next I would go for a bolt action. Again practice is needed by both shooters. I shoot left and my father shoots right, and with some practice I was able to shoot the right hand bolt action pretty well and could get 3 or 4 shots off within a few seconds.

if you have have a rifle that fits and that you love, you will shoot it well. If you do not love your rifle that you shoot, you will not shoot it as good as if you shoot one that is comfortable to you.

Just my two cents.

Cheers