Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-15-2011, 10:09 PM

Thumbs down When does it end!!!!!

Went to go bear hunting tonight, Was excited when i got to my bait and seen 2 bears there, and my NEW bait was hit after 8 days. But very disappointed very quickly when i went to check the barrels and noticed both my cameras were stolen then looked over and seen my stand gone also. Just unbelievable. When does it end. A person spends so much time and money and effort doing all this and to have some low life bas****s come and steel all your stuff. What has this world come too any more. I Give up!!!
Old 05-15-2011, 10:15 PM

They should make cameras with a scent can inside so when I guy gets back to his truck all proud of his thieving, and goes to look inside and it sprays him and the surroundings.

That would be great!
Old 05-15-2011, 10:22 PM

the trail-cam manufacturers are going to need to come up with something better for anti-theft, seems everytime you turn around someone's losing a cam to low-life thieves. Guys are going to stop buying cameras if they can't keep them from being stolen...

I feel for ya
Old 05-15-2011, 10:22 PM

Not Fit to leave anything in the bush anymore!!! *****s!!!
Old 05-15-2011, 10:38 PM

Just wrong!
Why can't these b@${@&%$ ever get caught in the act.
One day one of these thieving idiots will end up in someones bait barrel.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 05-15-2011, 11:11 PM

I feel your pain man....join the club
Old 05-15-2011, 11:11 PM

Default man that sux!

I have no tolerance for thieves or stealing... try to salvage the hunt but dont give up on the bears you have...chain
Old 05-15-2011, 11:21 PM

it's too bad it would probably be very expensive but if a camera could upload the pictures it takes to the internet and save them there so that you can at least put a face to those sons of B#@$^'s. I hate hearing about people's misfortune, from camera's to hunting equipment to bait being stolen, it's probably another reason it can be hard to find someone willing to take guests hunting because you can't trust anyone. I hope you find one of those guys in the belly of the next bear you take down... camera in hand haha
Old 05-16-2011, 12:10 AM

Two camera system maybe, one in view, one not, but silently recording theifs. In my job I have talked to farmers who do this around their fuel tanks.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:23 AM
grind stone

Angry Not safe out There!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter123 View Post
Not Fit to leave anything in the bush anymore!!! *****s!!!
X2 it seems like a growing epidemic only to get worse I for one wouldn’t leave a thing out there doesn’t seen worth it as reports like this keep coming in stolen this and that whats next gas from your truck.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:39 AM
Banned

maybe check the ground around the area , bears have been known to attack cameras and rip them from the tree , could even have taken your stand unto the bush to .
Old 05-16-2011, 06:12 AM

One of our AO members up here had his stuff stolen as well .
I cannot for the life of me figure out the lack of morals of these thieves.....
Cat
Old 05-16-2011, 06:27 AM
Banned

Just not right ! Check the pawn shops in Red Deer and Wetaskiwin, Just maybe! Those kinds of trash don,t have a lot of brains. What area were you in?
Old 05-16-2011, 06:45 AM
Banned

Angry I have a theory!

I personally don't use a trail-cam, nor do I activilly hunt bears from stand. I had the opportunity to be invited on a hunt by a couple of fellow AO members, so I know the extense of the set-up, Trail cams, baiting, checking, constructing stands, signing, etc. So I totally understand and side with your frustration. And, I also understand that there are thieves and low lives that walk amongs so called outdoorsmen.

But, has anyone ever considered that PETA could be behind this rash of theft. A walk in the woods in bear country simply looking for the signs which you legally are compiled to put up marks an easy trail to your stand. I'm compeled to suggest that somehow, outdoorsmen should infliltrate the organization pretending to hate hunters. An undercover agent might be able to find out what they're up to and if they have an inclination to do such things. Take them apart from the inside-out so to speak. I'lll bet the if PETA was up to this, they would also instruct their minions to not trash the site, but to steal stuff and make it look as though another hunter was responsible, thus causing disruption amongs ourselves.

Maybe I've watched too many spy movies, but just a suggestion.

If the trail-cam manufacturers were to imbed anti-theft devices such as GPS tracking or a numerical lock which renders the cam inoperable, this would had prohibitive costs to the camera. Good idea, but can it be effective? would it stop such harassment, likely not.

Edit: Another thaught: Don't kid yourselves for a minute, just as much as Law Enforcment watches forums such as this one, so does PETA, I'm sure of it. This site sometimes reads like a map of activity and locations. Maybe you should keep your discussions to those activities and locations to a minimum. Sad? yes, but just take a look at the members that have been activated in say the last 3 years and have maybe 5 posts to their credit.

Last edited by gitrdun; 05-16-2011 at 06:56 AM.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:57 AM

A friend of mine had one of those deer scent things that you fill and hang from a tree limb right in front of his trail camera..and a guy and his kids walked right up to it and stole it!!! So with a crisp video of the theifs he figured out where they lived in the little town and went to retrive it and the guy tried to deny it....Until he saw himself on the trail camera!!!!

He also cought some guys hunting out of season in the feild that he was in as they came right up to the camera rifles in hand..early bow season!!!
Told the fish cops about it...and said there was nothing they could do
Old 05-16-2011, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
I personally don't use a trail-cam, nor do I activilly hunt bears from stand. I had the opportunity to be invited on a hunt by a couple of fellow AO members, so I know the extense of the set-up, Trail cams, baiting, checking, constructing stands, signing, etc. So I totally understand and side with your frustration. And, I also understand that there are thieves and low lives that walk amongs so called outdoorsmen.

But, has anyone ever considered that PETA could be behind this rash of theft. A walk in the woods in bear country simply looking for the signs which you legally are compiled to put up marks an easy trail to your stand. I'm compeled to suggest that somehow, outdoorsmen should infliltrate the organization pretending to hate hunters. An undercover agent might be able to find out what they're up to and if they have an inclination to do such things. Take them apart from the inside-out so to speak. I'lll bet the if PETA was up to this, they would also instruct their minions to not trash the site, but to steal stuff and make it look as though another hunter was responsible, thus causing disruption amongs ourselves.

Maybe I've watched too many spy movies, but just a suggestion.

If the trail-cam manufacturers were to imbed anti-theft devices such as GPS tracking or a numerical lock which renders the cam inoperable, this would had prohibitive costs to the camera. Good idea, but can it be effective? would it stop such harassment, likely not.

Edit: Another thaught: Don't kid yourselves for a minute, just as much as Law Enforcment watches forums such as this one, so does PETA, I'm sure of it. This site sometimes reads like a map of activity and locations. Maybe you should keep your discussions to those activities and locations to a minimum. Sad? yes, but just take a look at the members that have been activated in say the last 3 years and have maybe 5 posts to their credit.
Interesting theory! It's possible but I don't think that it would explain all of the thefts. I know how much work goes into baiting bears so I really feel sorry for someone when this happens. People have no right doing this.
I can imagine being happy heading out to hunt or refresh the bait and to arrive to that would really be a let down.
I'm really sorry to hear about this bud!
I hope some bad crap happens to the buggers that did this!!!
Old 05-16-2011, 07:38 AM

The new wave of trail cams that instantly upload the pictures to your email through cell towers may help this situation, that is if the thieves didn't already know they were there, should catch a few clowns though.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:08 AM

Uneducated losers that cant afford to buy thier own cameras!
Old 05-16-2011, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
But, has anyone ever considered that PETA could be behind this rash of theft. A walk in the woods in bear country simply looking for the signs which you legally are compiled to put up marks an easy trail to your stand.
Here's the latest on digital photograph technology. Geo-tagging! Computer software that can download the exact coordinates of where the photograph was taken.

Don't take photographs at your hunting sites! The unfriendlies can easily find that location through your photograph and you can imagine what happens next!
Old 05-16-2011, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimboy View Post
maybe check the ground around the area , bears have been known to attack cameras and rip them from the tree , could even have taken your stand unto the bush to .
No it wasn't the bears. I had to cut trees that had fallen. i only cut them wide enough for my quad to get down. When i was walking in last night i noticed the remainder of the BIG trees has been pulled to the side with a pick up truck. Also when they left they threw out a battery. Like chain says i will go back out today and reload, Try make the best of the rest of the season ,then take the bait down and relocate further in the bush in a different area. Someone else asked what area and it is n.w of rocky mountain house. The cameras are nice to put out to see the size of bears what time they are coming in ect but i wont put any more cameras out at a bait. Thats 3 cameras and 2 tree stands i have lost to thieves, Very frustrating but it will always be like that. It dam well shouldn't be but that's the way our society is. The bottom line is you can't leave anything of any value anywhere because you take the chance of losing it very quickly. Good luck to all the rest of bear season.
Old 05-16-2011, 02:28 PM

That's sad to hear my friend. Look on the bright side. Now you can be surprised when you see the size of the bears coming in to your bait.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:20 PM

Sorry to hear of these thefts. It makes me angry.... just leave other people's stuff alone!

Let me throw another alternative on how to not have expensive property stolen. Don't use it...

Build a 2x4 stand. No cameras, make a natural (logs/rocks/pit) container for the bait... not much to lose if you do it this way.

Some will say this is not as effective as using cameras and barrels.... too bad. It's hunting.

Technology is taking the "hunt" out of hunting. The suggestion for wireless updates on game camers is an important example to consider.

I'm looking forward to the feedback on this....Black bear baiting and general hunting regulations always change. We can proactively direct these changes in a positive fashion , or wait until there is a problem and experience more prohibitions. Think about it....
Old 05-16-2011, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
Sorry to hear of these thefts. It makes me angry.... just leave other people's stuff alone!

Let me throw another alternative on how to not have expensive property stolen. Don't use it...

Build a 2x4 stand. No cameras, make a natural (logs/rocks/pit) container for the bait... not much to lose if you do it this way.

Some will say this is not as effective as using cameras and barrels.... too bad. It's hunting.

Technology is taking the "hunt" out of hunting. The suggestion for wireless updates on game camers is an important example to consider.

I'm looking forward to the feedback on this....Black bear baiting and general hunting regulations always change. We can proactively direct these changes in a positive fashion , or wait until there is a problem and experience more prohibitions. Think about it....
These are actually not bad, and very no nonsense recommendations, and the way many did it before the advent of cameras, trail timers, etc.

In fact , as far as technology goes, i was told by a new archer when baiting first was allowed, that i was stupid to use the "old and obsolete methods" of spotting and stalking bears, because i would never get a good one.
he was not aware that I had already killed quite a few that way with muzzle loader and bow as well as rifle hunting.
needless to say i proceeded to let him know what I though of his newfound expertise!
Cat
Old 05-16-2011, 03:29 PM

GPS transponders. Drives the cost up but your equipment is tracable. follow them right to thier door and politley ask to have your items returned.
Old 05-16-2011, 04:11 PM

Bit Runner

Sorry too hear about the loss of your property...glad to hear that you are still going to get out and do some hunting. Sometimes rising above what ever obstacles are placed in front of you will bring you the best rewards and the sweetest successes. Here's hoping you shoot a great big blackie.........Good luck and look forward to seeing the pics of your success.......Marco
Old 05-17-2011, 06:49 AM

I hope you find them,and dish out a lickin.That happened to me last year,right off my hay field,talk about feeling violated.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:46 AM

yea thats dum, stupid idi**s these days cant trust anything being left out in the bush or in your yard or your car these days, just hope hunters are not steeling peoples stuff, it would be sad if you cant even trust another hunter. hope you get your stuff back man
Old 05-17-2011, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by best guide shawn homeniuk View Post
yea thats dum, stupid idi**s these days cant trust anything being left out in the bush or in your yard or your car these days, just hope hunters are not steeling peoples stuff, it would be sad if you cant even trust another hunter. hope you get your stuff back man
haha.... cause other people would need trail camera's and tree stands. but it is seriously disappointing to see the community heading that way. it seems to be getting worse every year. Its too bad that karma is not a reliable source of revenge.....
Old 05-17-2011, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bit Runner. View Post
.... wide enough for my quad to get down.
Your quad tracks are basically a shopping aisle, and they lead straight to your stuff. The only place I would use a quad to access a site would be if I had to take my quad there on a boat to access the trail. Otherwise, any loser out for a ride will just follow your tracks, and then - jackpot!

WB makes a good point.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:45 PM

Default I hate theives!

Maybe I will go out and purchase a new tree stand the best money can buy (bait) If you catch my drift.