Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-02-2007, 03:44 PM

Default spotting scope advice

I was looking for advice on spotting scopes. I have been to the sporting goods stores and heard there stories, But I prefer to here the real truth from guys that have actually used them. I don't want to go cheap but I don't want to break the bank either. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-02-2007, 03:51 PM
sheephunter

Great lower priced scopes are the Nikon and Bushnell and Leupold. In the big bucks scopes, I think the Swarovski is the hands down winner. Depends how much you'll be using it...is weight and size a factor and of course how much dough you have to spend. Are the big dollar scopes a necessity? Nope. Are they worth the money? Yup.

I still get by with a Nikon but some days I do wish I had a Swarovski....especially on hot days. Due to the quality of the glass, the higher end scopes are definitely less affected by heat waves. Get a straight eye-piece model no matter what you decide though.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:54 PM

Thanks Sheephunter. I will probably use it only a few weeks every year. The ones I have seen that I like are around the $400.00 dollar range. I will be hunting mostly prairie type area in the south for deer and would like it as compact as possible. Any personal preference? Model?
Old 10-02-2007, 07:15 PM
Banned

I am on my third spotter and have used/tested many others, including the most recent Leicas, Zeiss and Swaros. I now use my Leupy 25x Compact with a Leupy comapct tripod, great little scope, crappy tripod. I have a London Drugs tripod to replace it with, for 1/3rd what *****sales charged me for the Leupy.

I also bought a Leica 62 Armoured plus a graphite tripod and special head, this cost HUGE bucks, but, these are the finest I have seen in 40+ years of using highend optics. I tried Zeiss and Swaro, Leica is the best.

Put your REAL $$$$$ into your bino, a Leica Ultravid is the best I have yet used and I am buying one to replace my Trinovid and Zeiss bino next year. A VERY good spotter is the little B&L 14-45x unit for those who cannot afford topend optics, these run about 4-5 hundred bux.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:48 PM
sheephunter

I've got both the Bushnell and the Nikon and both are great scopes but I'd give the nod to the Nikon. I find it a bit clearer and the focus more precise.

http://www.nikon.ca/en/Product.aspx?m=11886
Old 10-02-2007, 08:24 PM

Can only comment on what I have, but I am happy with it.

http://www.bushnell.com/general/spot...ection=Hunting

Bushnell (mine is actually Bausch & Lomb) Elite 15-45 x 60.

I spent my bigger chunk of coin on my binos - Leica Trinovid, wish I bought the Ultravids but I'm not complaining.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:24 PM
Banned

Default another vote

I've got the bausch and lomb 15-45X60 also and like it a lot, although I'm sure I'd like the swaro a lot more if I ever looked through one.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:33 PM

Thanks for the links and comments. It helped a lot.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:57 PM

Default Swarovski

I just upgraded this year from my B&L Elite 15-45 power. I was a good scope as long as I did not turn it all the way to 45 power. I have a Swarovski now and am very impressed to say the least.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:19 PM

Same here with my Bausch & Lomb. It is fine when the air is clear, the sun not too hot, Mars is aligned with Venus, and Hillary Clinton decides not to run for president...

It's a 15-45x60 scope, costing about $550 a few years ago, but I hardly use it beyond 30-power since the blurriness overpowers the increased zoom.

For optics.... spend as much as you can. Unfortunately you have to spend a lot of $$ to get into the Zeiss/Swarovski/Leica range... I'm still saving my pennies.

Frans
Old 10-04-2007, 07:47 AM
Banned

I'm sure glad i got the nikon that sheep hunter recommended. Love it more the more i use it. The focus works great, easy and smooth. So far all i've used it for is scouting muleys but what a difference that makes! Can't believe i went without a spotting scope for this long! If the hunting gods smile on me i'll get to try it out last part of oct for sheeps but we'll see. Good scope for the money...especially if you buy it out of the states through ebay etc. Got mine for about 384 all in...but the dollar is better now. Trev got his for low 300's...great bang for buck! I have no doubts i'll play with a real high end unit someday when funds can allow but no way i'll get rid of this unit, a man can't have enough good toys.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:14 AM

Default Nikon Fieldscope ED 50

Has anyone used this scope??
Just wondering if the ED is anything to get excited about. I see they offer it quite a bity cheaper than the Bushnell Elite with ED glass, Swarovski HD, or the Leica APO.
Thanks for any advice.