Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 07-30-2010, 07:12 PM

Default Jim shockeys signature series yukon

Im fairly new to bow hunting, well completly green but very interested in getting started, i looked at lots of bows and kept coming back to the jim shockey signature series yukon, i like the look and the feel is very comfortable, i didnt buy it yet because the over the counter guy was trying to sell me a package deal then started ignoring me when i wasnt interested. He said this bow was not very forgiving, Does anyone on here shoot this bow or have any reviews on it and is it suitable for a newbie? Like i said it felt better than any of the other bows i looked at and it keeps calling my name lol i just dont want waste money on it any advice on this particular bow would be great thanks. Oh ps just got back from the charlottes halibut and snapper pics to follow soon .
Old 07-30-2010, 07:39 PM

don't have the shockey series but have the silverado, and love it! iwas shooting a new mamba 6.5 the other night and still like the feel of the alpine better. as far as forgiving how do you mean? at full draw their a dream to hold. only downfall i see with these bows is that they are a bit louder than some others. and they are plenty fast.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peakseeker View Post
don't have the shockey series but have the silverado, and love it! iwas shooting a new mamba 6.5 the other night and still like the feel of the alpine better. as far as forgiving how do you mean? at full draw their a dream to hold. only downfall i see with these bows is that they are a bit louder than some others. and they are plenty fast.
The guy at the counter was saying it wasnt very forgiving, Im not sure what he ment maybe for human error or vibration? i really like the feel of the bow myself. Im green for bowhunting so i was looking for imput but i think he was pushing to sell his commision bow lol. At full draw it seemed very balanced and easy to hold an from what i looked up online it seems very easy to maintain and adjust when needed in the field. Im unsure of vibration and accuracy as i have not shot it and they dont allow test shooting.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:09 PM
Banned

if they dont allow you to shoot it and are trying to push something on you.....go someplace else. you will want to shoot a few before making a decision and any decent archery shop will help you do that. noone can tell you what bow is best for you. take suggestions of things from all, but do decide for yourself. the bow thats right for you will be wrong for the next guy.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:33 PM

I dunno guys. I got a Shockey pack for Christmas and it is not something I'd recommend to, well, ANYONE. If a bow feels great in your hands, then I guess that's really the point of it, but I believe that he has 'sourced out' his name on a bunch of inferior products. Caveat Emptor
Old 07-30-2010, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeGuy View Post
I dunno guys. I got a Shockey pack for Christmas and it is not something I'd recommend to, well, ANYONE. If a bow feels great in your hands, then I guess that's really the point of it, but I believe that he has 'sourced out' his name on a bunch of inferior products. Caveat Emptor
x2

i shot the one at the brothers shop in lloyd and was not impressed at all with it, loud, vibrated, drew really hard.........just not my cup of tea
Old 08-13-2010, 06:57 PM

Default yukon series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trav View Post
x2

i shot the one at the brothers shop in lloyd and was not impressed at all with it, loud, vibrated, drew really hard.........just not my cup of tea
Well picked up the yukon, tried it first before i bought it and very happy, barely any vibration, the draw lenght was perfect for me and im now properly sighted in. Wrecked about 6 arrows due to a crappy target but bought a foam block for practice. Moved the poundage to 60lbs and pulled my shoulder lol definatly need alot more practice and strenghth but having a blast just target practicing. didnt think i would enjoy this so much but im glad i bought a bow finally. Now my guns are getting jealous lol. Not sure ill hunt with it this year but there is lots of brave moose in my area and ive been within 30yrds and they dont move so lots of practice to come and hopefully a moose in the freezer this season.
Old 08-13-2010, 07:43 PM

Have a look at the Mathews Z7 . What a great bow IMO
Old 08-13-2010, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop_Tine View Post
Have a look at the Mathews Z7 . What a great bow IMO
cant now lol bow $750 sight $80 Whisker bisket 50 Peep sight $3 cobra release $50 predator series 2 arrows $130 Bow case $60 broad heads $40 Field tips $5 . The look on the ol lady face when she found the reciept hidden in the truck Unforgetable. lol no more toys for me this year. Ps sending her in for a hair cut to get myself back in the good books.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savagencounter View Post
cant now lol bow $750 sight $80 Whisker bisket 50 Peep sight $3 cobra release $50 predator series 2 arrows $130 Bow case $60 broad heads $40 Field tips $5 . The look on the ol lady face when she found the reciept hidden in the truck Unforgetable. lol no more toys for me this year. Ps sending her in for a hair cut to get myself back in the good books.
lol to funny! i hope you enjoy your new outfitt. happy shootin'!
Old 10-11-2010, 09:03 PM

Default first bow kill BLACK BEAR

Went with my gut feeling nevermind what the over the counter guys at wholesale sports said and nailed my first bear with the shockey at 30 yrds right through the heart. droped 15yrds away stone cold. awsome feeling a little spooky following it in the brush when my rifle is at home but wicked feeling getting a bear with a bow. love this bow and the arrow went right through and got my arrow back. 100gr montec cuts like a laser. pics coming soon. Moose is going to be my next bow kill.
Old 10-13-2010, 12:34 AM

^^^ congrats on your first archery kill, and welcome to the darkside as some rifle guys would put it ..lol
Old 10-13-2010, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post
^^^ congrats on your first archery kill, and welcome to the darkside as some rifle guys would put it ..lol
And some traditional archers as well!!
Cat
Old 10-13-2010, 12:25 PM
Banned

I shot that bow, it seemed decent and WSS had it on sale but I decided I'd feel too silly walking around with a Jim Shockey bow. Sort of like if Tommy Hilfigure started making camo.
Old 10-13-2010, 12:41 PM

Congrats.....Lets see some pics