Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-07-2010, 05:12 PM

Default Savage mark 2

Post pictures and add thoughts on your Savage mark 2's.
Old 03-07-2010, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Git r Done View Post
Post pictures and add thoughts on your Savage mark 2's.
Old 03-07-2010, 05:52 PM

What the hell?? If ya don't like it don;t look at it
Old 03-07-2010, 06:29 PM

Right up there with the lint in my pocket.
Old 03-07-2010, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
Right up there with the lint in my pocket.
The gun or the thread?
Old 03-07-2010, 07:46 PM

I'll play. My main gopher getter, mark II G, bedded, free floated, refinished, then beat to crap shooting gophers. Shoots blazer and federal 525 packs in 1/2" at 50yds, have 5 magazines for when the squeaks are comin in fast. Scope is Bushnell Trophy 3-9x40(would like to upgrade scope thinking a Bushnell 3200 Elite 2-7x32 AO).

Old 03-08-2010, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ormachek View Post
I'll play. My main gopher getter, mark II G, bedded, free floated, refinished, then beat to crap shooting gophers. Shoots blazer and federal 525 packs in 1/2" at 50yds, have 5 magazines for when the squeaks are comin in fast. Scope is Bushnell Trophy 3-9x40(would like to upgrade scope thinking a Bushnell 3200 Elite 2-7x32 AO).

Hi Ormachek,

How tight are your action screws? I have the same rifle. Its accurate but notconsistent 1/2" at 50yrds. Mine is also floated and bedded.

To the OP, I bought mine for $189 and think it is a great little rifle for the money. Only issue is that the feeding is terrible! I have tried different mags, same results. Some ammo with rounder bullets feeds fine but anything with a shoulder or truncated cone type bullet catches the edge of the chamber and takes chunks off the bullet or just jams. For my uses it a great, superb value, but it aint no CZ!
Old 03-08-2010, 08:33 AM

Did Savage take over Lakefield? I have a semi and it has the exact same stock. I even refinished the stock like yours, Ormachek. Having feeding trouble. The only ammo I can find that cycles well is CCI Velocitors, but they are not as accurate as Winchester or Federal.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:40 AM
sheephunter

There never was a Lakefield as such. The Savage importer in Canada is in Lakefield, Ontario and if I remember correctly, Savage just rebranded the Mark II for the Canadian maket as a Lakefield. Same tiger with different stripes.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:11 AM

Kayaker- couldn't tell you exactly how tight they are I just, ya know, tightened them. I didn't mention but it is also pillar bedded which might help too. I find most ammo feeds quite nicely in mine, the only ammo I've ever had any difficulty with feeding was remington yellow jackets, they tended to snag up every 20-30 rounds or so. My rifle also has a strong dislike for any winchester ammo I've run through it, I got a lot of duds and my group size virtually doubled.

I've had 2 issues with this gun. When I first got it it didn't like to eject any brass, all I did was pry the ejector up a bit with a screwdriver and that fixed that problem. The second issue is more recent and is my fault, I bent the clip(?) that holds the magazines in the gun(I was shooting it single shot and resting it on a post right where the clip goes in....don't do that.). It just makes it a little fidgety to get a mag in now, should be an easy fix, maybe I'll do that this afternoon.....
Old 03-08-2010, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
There never was a Lakefield as such. The Savage importer in Canada is in Lakefield, Ontario and if I remember correctly, Savage just rebranded the Mark II for the Canadian maket as a Lakefield. Same tiger with different stripes.
Strange. The Lakefield I had said 'made in Canada' on the barrel. I know they are very similar if not 100% the same. I have never had the two to compare.

WOODY
CSSA NFAMember
Old 03-08-2010, 10:49 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppaW View Post
Strange. The Lakefield I had said 'made in Canada' on the barrel. I know they are very similar if not 100% the same. I have never had the two to compare.
Hmm...you got me wondering and I found this info...

Lakefield were a Canadian manufacturer of small-bore rifles in .22 calibre. Unusually all Lakefield rifles were available in both left-handed and right-handed versions. In 1995 they were taken over by the American company Savage Arms Inc and became Savage Arms Canada Inc.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:05 AM

When I first got it it didn't like to eject any brass, all I did was pry the ejector up a bit with a screwdriver and that fixed that problem. .....[/QUOTE]

I just bought a new one in lefty 17HM2 no accutrigger for 199 dollars. Accurate right out of the box but mine didn't eject either, applied the same fix but took quite a bit of fiddling to get it just right. Also, factory mag didn't hold the catridges properly so had to adjust the magazione's lips.

Overall I am happy with the gun because it shoots well and I could fix the problems. If I were a non-technically inclined shooter I would be right POed to have to send it back to get the feed and eject problems fixed. Savages quality control on their centre fires has been excellent and have bought a few of these in the past year, but their QC on the rimfires is down right bad. If this was a guys first experience with Savage they wouldn't be in a hurry to buy another one.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:12 AM

Thanks Ormachek,

yes, those pillar may help. Mine does some great groups at times, but not consistently. Hey, for the price and intended use its totally fine though!

Interestingly mine likes most Winchester ammo, especially the Dynapoint GT, which outshoots more expensive Eley and Lapua ammo I have tried. It really likes CCI Standard velocity too, and Federal Gold Medal.

Those CCI Standards are great, they feed well, are very clean and very accurate. I used up 3 boxes of Rem Thunderbolts every few rounds one would be very difficult to chamber (I cleaned the chamber, no difference) which I put down to sloppy tolerances and over sized cases and they are dirty as sin!
Old 03-08-2010, 01:33 PM

Quote:

One of the better looking Savages I've seen.Nice little rifle
Old 03-08-2010, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post
One of the better looking Savages I've seen.Nice little rifle
That was a while back right after I refinished it.....it's not so nice looking now, it get's a lot of hard use.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:19 PM

Quote:
That was a while back right after I refinished it.....it's not so nice looking now, it get's a lot of hard use.
Well Gun's are Tools,and tools get dinged,scratched,scraped,wrecked,Etc:lol :.I know that I cringe everytime I scratch a Rifle of mine.Should have seen me last Fall in northern saskatchewan.Long story short,Running through bush trying to find an opening to get a shot at a Nice W\T buck I jumped and the bush got soo thick,I was useing my 300 weatherby Deluxe rifle as a bush plow.

Man when you see them antler's the last thing on your mind is your rifle.Until after the deer gets away and you examine the damage.
Old 03-08-2010, 04:50 PM

Default Mark 2 Origins

Mine is stamped "Lakefield Mossberg Made by Lakefield ELC Arms Ltd". No country of origin on it. I bought mine at CDN Tire about 30 years ago. Great tool. Still performs perfectly after all these years.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:43 PM

My savage is chambered in .22 lr, shoots cheap winchester super x ammo with decent accuracy. Does have problems ejecting empty brass or loaded shells. Has these ejecting problems with many of the different kinds of ammo I have tried [CCI Velocitors,stingers, Super x etc.]
Has a Harris bipod and Bushnell 3-9 rimfire scope.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Git r Done View Post
My savage is chambered in .22 lr, shoots cheap winchester super x ammo with decent accuracy. Does have problems ejecting empty brass or loaded shells. Has these ejecting problems with many of the different kinds of ammo I have tried [CCI Velocitors,stingers, Super x etc.]
Has a Harris bipod and Bushnell 3-9 rimfire scope.
Try oiling your chamber, seems to help my savage.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post
Your such a dick.lol