Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-23-2024, 10:08 AM

Default Wainwright Bull Moose

Get to go on the base this year to look for a Bull Moose. I drew the last season. Have hunted the base for deer, but still don't know it well. Looking forward to spending some time there.

I have seen a few maps from previous years showing where Moose have been taken. Looks like the most popular areas are B&C, on the west side of the base. I'm sure Moose can be found most anywhere on the base, with some areas being better than others, but thought someone might be willing to share a lesser known area to look into. It's not that I'm looking for a giant bull (although, who doesn't like to look for a big one!), but just an area to enjoy the country and have a chance to find a nice bull. Prefer to walk in and, if need be, will be prepared to pack one out (have packed Moose out before, so know what it takes). With a draw tag and limited time, hoping someone might be willing to offer some direction.
Old 07-23-2024, 12:03 PM

i have seen numerous small bulls in the annex... drive in 2-4 km then walk the open area to the small ravines south of you... i think there is big slough there, so other side of that... no one walks in there, but a least it is flat ground to pull a sled... i would need a map to show you exactly
Old 07-23-2024, 12:11 PM

I have drawn the antlered tag twice, I took a 54" bull the first year, while a friend killed a 50" bull, that was with him, and a new hunter killed a 38" or so bull the last time I drew, as my partner. I have seen moose in many locations on the base, but we killed our bulls in the north-west. Both hunts were over the first day, the first at noon, the second at 3pm.
Old 07-23-2024, 12:16 PM

Can the carcass be left behind on the base? for packing out I mean.
Old 07-23-2024, 12:19 PM

Trying to attach the map. Hope it works.

Stob - is J4 where you mean?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wainwright map.jpg (83.9 KB, 155 views)
Old 07-23-2024, 12:34 PM

Feel free to send me a PM if you don't want to have a spot on the open forum. 60 tag holders total (I think, 20 per season) so not many. If any other tag holders see the info - good luck to them and hope they have fun.
Old 07-23-2024, 12:54 PM

Hope you have more success than the majority of folks last year.
Old 07-23-2024, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Hope you have more success than the majority of folks last year.
Without looking up last years threads, can you recall the success rate guys had? Any reasons for a lack of success last year vs others?
Old 07-23-2024, 02:39 PM

We were there last year second rifle for deer. We seen a few moose, a pile of elk, and a few deer we managed 4 of our 6 deer tags choosing to pass on does. I think the previous winter took its lions share of game. Also last year it was first week of Dec and everything was brown and it was raining. We were at the base 2 years ago for muzzleloader moose and seen some giant bulls, nice mules and no joke 400 elk. Cut 3 herds my buddies wife got her cow elk. I will be there last rifle this year for cow moose. Send me your contact info and if we see some bulls I'll let you know.
Old 07-24-2024, 07:52 AM

Does anybody know when the sharptail hunt will be on the base this year?
Old 07-24-2024, 06:08 PM

I was on the base last year 2023 first rifle with deer tags. First day there were moose just about everywhere but we saw at least 8 different bulls on the flats around the river on the west side of the base. Saw moose just about everywhere we went for the 3 days but that area on the west end seemed particularly busy
Hope that helps.
Old 07-24-2024, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
Without looking up last years threads, can you recall the success rate guys had? Any reasons for a lack of success last year vs others?
Some numbers here: Link

Super dry, no snow, I knew the guys our group and another group of four, think it was day two we didn't even see an animal.
Old 07-24-2024, 08:27 PM

I am also interested to know if you are expected to take the whole carcass. It would be a lot of work if you walked in.
Old 07-24-2024, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Some numbers here: Link

Super dry, no snow, I knew the guys our group and another group of four, think it was day two we didn't even see an animal.
Thanks! I remember now how warm of a late Nov we had. Makes sense!
Old 07-25-2024, 03:17 PM

I know you can only have 1 non hunter on base but what about a non hunter and a youth partner license holder? Can you have both?
Old 07-25-2024, 04:05 PM

From what I understand when I have been partner and or hunter with a partner at the base it's only one per liscenced person. My Father wants his grand daughter to shoot his deer tags but he won't go without me so I am building priority so all 3 of us can go.
Old 07-25-2024, 04:06 PM

My cousin got a nice 50 incher along the battle river valley last year. It is always a good place to check out for moose. And the big pipeline on the map takes you into some moose country as well. The annex seems to hold moose too.

I have always hunted the last seasons for deer, had a bull draw in there over 10 yrs ago. If your in for the last season, the game will be a lot more skiddish. The moose still tend to stick around a bit longer than the deer when you spot them.

Good luck.
Old 07-25-2024, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda610 View Post
From what I understand when I have been partner and or hunter with a partner at the base it's only one per liscenced person. My Father wants his grand daughter to shoot his deer tags but he won't go without me so I am building priority so all 3 of us can go.
Got ya, I’d have a helper for sure but was trying to figure out if my new stepbrother could join us but I’m also not positive I like him enough yet to partner him on a youth tag haha.
Old 08-09-2024, 01:32 PM

For those who were that last year - how were Moose numbers?
Old 08-09-2024, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragor764 View Post
Can the carcass be left behind on the base? for packing out I mean.
anyone?
Old 08-09-2024, 03:43 PM

Packed out my moose gutless method. Had large leg bones still in, but I left lower legs and spine,ribs,neck bone in the bush. They just took a peek in the truck box for 2 seconds at the meat. Took the samples from the head and jaw and I was good to go.
Old 08-14-2024, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragor764 View Post
anyone?
We took a moose out of there a few years ago and nobody complained about the carcass being left. We took the quarters, head, neck/rib meat and left the rest.