Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-08-2022, 06:13 AM

Default New truck for me, uugh, and yayyy??

So I had a 2019 1500 Ram sport, new body style and a 2 inch lift of Fox shocks. I’m out of warranty but no big deal, it needs shocks and I’ll do the brakes. I never liked the Fox stuff so I order me up an Icon suspension kit, and new brakes and rotors, cross drilled and fancy( reputable with 18 month warraity). Any whoo, 4500 bucks worth of stuff. It shows up, I’ll install on the weekend.
Opening day for me was last wed in that stupid blizzard. I’m hunting in Drum, I leave to come home, get on Hiway 9 and my transfer case blows up, sends me into a ditch. No damage. Dig my way out with my ice scraper, then 3 hours back to calgary in two wheel drive. In 35 years of driving, that was as bad is it got. This truck was not made for 2wd on ice. Even with good tires.
So bring to dealer, transfer case, drive shaft (front) and no eta on parts. We had been debating trading the truck in but decided to keep it, fix any issues and keep on driving. Well the truck made the decision for us.
The dealer gave me a good price for my truck and I walked out with a new Rebel with the Eco diesel. I…… love it. We only need it for pulling our boat and a daily. Its quiet and good on fuel. I kept my tires and rims as well as the box cover. Price was ok ($6000 more than the hemi) and I’m super happy. Time will tell with the little diesel, but so far, its rock solid.
Anyone need new suspension for their Ram, I gotta deal for you.
Tullfan.
Old 11-08-2022, 06:50 AM

Transfer case gone on a 2019 with only 100,000 or so KM?

Are Rams really that terrible for reliability? Suddenly glad I’ve stayed a Toyota loyalist…
Old 11-08-2022, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehrgeiz View Post
Transfer case gone on a 2019 with only 100,000 or so KM?

Are Rams really that terrible for reliability? Suddenly glad I’ve stayed a Toyota loyalist…
Brakes too…hmmmm…I have a 2011 still on the originals, think the OP may have a heavy foot.

But also yes, rams went to crap after Fiat demanded cost cutting measure in 2012/13.
Old 11-08-2022, 11:12 AM

I’m not sure why people continue to buy dodge products. I’ve owned two and they were absolute crap.
My old 2011 Duramax has never had a thing done to it other than the windshield washer tank was replaced on warranty.
Old 11-08-2022, 11:23 AM

Anytime you start to add mods to a vehicle (lift kit, oversize wheels and tires etc) you are putting additional stress on parts that the weren't designed for. Just asking for a surprise breakdown when you least expect it.
Just my opinion.
Old 11-08-2022, 01:36 PM

Good to hear no issues after hitting the ditch.. scary stuff. Enjoy the new truck
Old 11-08-2022, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
I’m not sure why people continue to buy dodge products. I’ve owned two and they were absolute crap.
They are generally cheaper and available.

Lacombe Ford: zero new trucks on the lot. Used trucks, 4, none under $60k.

Weidner Motors (Lacombe GM Dealer): 11 new trucks on the lot, two under $60k but one is a Colorado.

Gary Moe Chrysler (Lacombe Dodge Dealer): 82 new trucks on the lot, 11 new ones available for under $60k.
Old 11-08-2022, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
They are generally cheaper and available.

Lacombe Ford: zero new trucks on the lot. Used trucks, 4, none under $60k.

Weidner Motors (Lacombe GM Dealer): 11 new trucks on the lot, two under $60k but one is a Colorado.

Gary Moe Chrysler (Lacombe Dodge Dealer): 82 new trucks on the lot, 11 new ones available for under $60k.
When I shopped for a new 1/2 ton last year, I compared Ford,GM, and Dodge. The new Tundra was pushed out again, so I never compared Toyota. There were more dodges on the lot, but if equipped with the same options, Dodge was the most expensive. And the Dodge Hemi was the worst gas engine as far as power and fuel economy. And if I was shopping today, I would still choose Toyota or Ford , as they both have the better gas driveline options.
Old 11-08-2022, 02:39 PM

Dodge = junk and available. It’s like the Hornady of trucks!

Lol
Old 11-08-2022, 03:41 PM

Is this the 3 Litre Eco Diesel that you bought? There are alot of complaints about that engine, just saying.

As for your Transfer Case, odds are your front drive shaft seized up and snapped and destroyed the input shaft bearing in the process.

For the life of me, why is it that the front drive shaft U joints are not greaseable for ALL U joints? Also, why is the slide shaft not greaseable? I have been dealing with this problem for 30 years on my trucks. Failures are ugly.

The U joints and slide shaft fail, and you are done in the worst of ways.

If you go to Pat's Driveline they will sell you a front drive shaft with greaseable shaft and U joints. Then you only have to use some grease to give peace of mind.

But yes the Dealers want to move their product at Dodge. Just wish they had a better reputation with the Eco Diesel.

Drewski
Old 11-08-2022, 03:47 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Default New truck for me, uugh, and yayyy??

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Heavyhitr View Post
Dodge = junk and available. It’s like the Hornady of trucks!

Lol

Leave Hornady out of this and Honda ridge lines too!

GMC seems to be on par for a good truck, just saying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-08-2022, 07:50 PM

Default Ram

I was a chev guy my whole life.

In 2009 I bought a dodge 1500 crew 4x4 with a hemi. No issues and drove it until 2014. Bought a used ecoboost (FORD!!!!) that already had one turbo replaced. I replaced a turbo 2 months later and 6 months later another turbo was going.

2016 Bought an ecodiesel ram crew outdoorsman 4x4. Its had one issue. Has 120000 km on it.

I do my own oil changes. Just replaced rear diff oil for the first time. Replaced the fuel filter at 100k.

Best thing about this truck is the amount of takeoff tires on kijiji. lol.

I bought winters on rims for $450.00. Did a wheel alignment at 90k.

Truck brakes are in great shape.

The best the truck has ever done is 7.1 liters per hundred doing 120km/hr from Calgary to Red Deer with a tailwind. I usually get around 8.4 liters per hundred on the highway. With a 21 foot trailer with 3 fold down beds and 5 people we averaged 16.8 liters per hundred going from red deer-kelowna-vancouver-whistler- revelstoke and back.

Amazing how many people need to **** on a truck brand. Its a damn piece of metal. lol

I bought ram in 2009 because it was 20k less than a chev. I stole my ecodiesel at the end of 2016. Ive saved a ****load of money and it has cost me next to nothing.

I love my buddies new Chev but there is no reason for me to change or spend more.

Last edited by Camdelle; 11-08-2022 at 08:11 PM.
Old 11-08-2022, 07:57 PM
Banned

So you bought another dodge after the previous one was a next to new pos?
Old 11-08-2022, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
So you bought another dodge after the previous one was a next to new pos?
My 09 dodge was awesome. Next was a 2013 used ecoboost. THAT IS A FORD! That went through 3 turbos in under 3 years.

2016 Ram no real issues with over 120k on it.
Old 11-08-2022, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
My old 2011 Duramax has never had a thing done to it other than the windshield washer tank was replaced on warranty.
Been driving dodges for 25 years. Put them thru hell and back in the oilpatch. Aside from ball joints every 150K or so under a cummins...no problems out of the ordinary. Weird huh?
Last good truck chev made was in '86 ('87 was alright aside from the attempt at fuel injectors in the carb). Wouldn't own one unless it was super cheap. They don't stand up to hard miles.
Wouldn't own a ford newer than '79, went downhill hard from there
Old 11-08-2022, 09:40 PM

So yes, I bought another one. Lol. I like the truck and Zero issues in 108300 km’s. They figure the front shaft was spinning when the t case malfunctioned. Or a mixed signal from the servo. Any way catastrophic. No biggie. As far as the shocks, Chrysler has a deal with fox and use them as oem on their lifts with factory warranty. They’re not that great but I knew and was ready for an up grade. But needed to be out of warranty. So thats why the shocks were on the list. The brakes, not worn out but starting to pulse. Perfectly fine, but annoying, and just starting, so 138000 not bad.I was just going to replace them and expect the same range from the new ones.
And lastly, yes the 3litre eco. I too read about the problems but I spoke to a mechanic friend (chrysler) and customer of ours. A straight shooter and I trust him. Said this last gen was sorted, again we’ll see. I had rad problems, turbo problems and axle problems in my 15 F350. Cam phasers in the F150, Hemi tick in the Rams, lol. You can’t please everyone. They all got problems, same as bikes, quads, and boats.
Glutton for punishment, maybe. But I like the truck, the interior, the way it drives and rides. I could have gotten the GMC, or the Raptor, or the 911 Porsche. my wife has a Tacoma so I’d still have a truck, lol. I just like the Ram. If I get 3 years out of this one, great, if it becomes a problem I’ll flog it and get another. I know it’s not an investment, the heart wants what it wants.
I’m sorry to disappoint the die hards but again, time will tell. And the only one that needs to be happy is this guy. Lol, he’s happy…. For now. Thanks again
Tullfan
Old 11-08-2022, 10:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camdelle View Post
My 09 dodge was awesome. Next was a 2013 used ecoboost. THAT IS A FORD! That went through 3 turbos in under 3 years.

2016 Ram no real issues with over 120k on it.
All those turbos probably cost less than the transfer case on your 2019

I’m waiting on a rear bed for one of my drw Cummins
$9k
Month wait
Flawed design so it can happen again
My favourite

I’ve found that a Cummins is good, if you stud them, delete them, don’t run any kind of hp tune, and drive them like an old lady
Might get 150k out of one before you need a new head
Old 11-09-2022, 05:59 AM

Getting 120 - 150,000kms or maybe 3 years out of a truck is considered good?
Old 11-09-2022, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Leave Hornady out of this and Honda ridge lines too!

GMC seems to be on par for a good truck, just saying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lay the hell off the Honda Ridgelines

They are for real men only!
Old 11-09-2022, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post

Lay the hell off the Honda Ridgelines

They are for real men only!
If you don't really need a truck, a Ridgeline just may be the answer, at least a better answer than a Subaru car.lol
Old 11-09-2022, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbound View Post
Maybe you missed it, he bought a Dodge.
Old 11-09-2022, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Maybe you missed it, he bought a Dodge.
Fair point.
Old 11-09-2022, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
If you don't really need a truck, a Ridgeline just may be the answer, at least a better answer than a Subaru car.lol
I drive a 3500 Duramax. Bud has a Honda Ridgeline. His first one went forever with Zero problems. He basically mile'd it out and got a new to him 2020. We were WT hunting in some snow covered hills and side hills...ugly stuff, the Duramax would have never went where we went in that Ridgeline [without chains]. And it has lots of room. Sure changed my opinion on those trucks, they get around great in tough going.
Ohh , the Dodge thing...? Never again for me...never.
Old 11-09-2022, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbound View Post
Most people don’t even keep them that long. That’s why manufacturers can turn out junk.
Old 11-09-2022, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackleyman View Post
I drive a 3500 Duramax. Bud has a Honda Ridgeline. His first one went forever with Zero problems. He basically mile'd it out and got a new to him 2020. We were WT hunting in some snow covered hills and side hills...ugly stuff, the Duramax would have never went where we went in that Ridgeline [without chains]. And it has lots of room. Sure changed my opinion on those trucks, they get around great in tough going.
Ohh , the Dodge thing...? Never again for me...never.
If you purchased a 1 ton diesel, you obviously need a truck, try towing and hauling the things that you do with the Duramax with the Ridgeline, and see how that works out. I have had all wheel drive vehicles, and they did well until the snow got deep, or until I needed to get through rutted roads, then the lack of ground clearance became an issue. And if I am going to tow even smaller loads regularly, I prefer a truck, bigger , heavier vehicles with more power, larger brakes and heavier duty drivelines, are better suited to towing.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 11-09-2022 at 09:56 AM.
Old 11-09-2022, 11:20 AM

I'm very aware of the above. That day he was the wheel man and i the gunner. The light little truck scooted around pretty good.