Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-06-2022, 09:02 AM

Default 1990 Yamaha Big Bear

I hope its ok for to post this here to get a broader reach of the members. I picked up a 1990 Yamaha Big Bear to fix up for my grandson and the carb is corroded beyond repair, so I need to find one. The engine is a 350cc if I remember correctly. I'm not on Facebook so that limits my search capabilities.

If anyone has any leads, suggestions, contacts or a carb, please let me know.

Thanks,
Old 10-06-2022, 09:09 AM

Try Ebay as they will have something for a good price.
Old 10-06-2022, 09:16 AM

If you (or someone you know) has Amazon, there's options there as well. For instance: https://a.co/d/0LLBcsF
Old 10-06-2022, 09:29 AM

Thanks gents, I knew members here would broaden my horizon, I never even thought of Amazon. I checked Ebay but some won't ship to Canada.
Old 10-06-2022, 07:59 PM

Try https://fortnine.ca. I have ordered tires and cv axles and steering ball joints on 3 seperate occasions and there prices are good. No issues with any shipping or wrong parts. Good experience. All in Canada. They have a warehouse in Calgary as well.
Old 10-06-2022, 08:46 PM

Might try the Sled Parlor, west of Carstairs. Parts for those old machines can be hard to come by.

https://www.sledparlor.com/

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 10-06-2022, 10:48 PM

I bought a carb off eBay for $70 and installed it in under an hour, works awesome 2005 Kodiak 450… I hate supporting the “knock off” OEM but I can justify paying $500+ at a dealer.

Carburetor w/Fuel Filter for... https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B08MWCY29L?...p_mob_ap_share

LC
Old 10-07-2022, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mb-MBR View Post
I checked Ebay but some won't ship to Canada.
Most sellers will, you just have to ask.

I tell them it's just one extra form at the shipping office and a small fee which I will obviously pay and they're good to go. 9 out of 10 times they say no problem.

I find FleaBay to have more stuff but that's just me.

Good luck with your search.
Old 10-07-2022, 07:45 PM

Corroded how exactly? Strip it and soak in carb cleaner, order a gasket kit, and carry on
Old 10-07-2022, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewalt18 View Post
Corroded how exactly? Strip it and soak in carb cleaner, order a gasket kit, and carry on

For the price of that Amazon one, hardly worthwhile. Local dealer rebuilt the one in my 92, got so frustrated with it, he sold me a replacement one from Yamaha at cost. Replaced the starter recently with one from Amazon as well, better than the original.

Grizz

Old 10-19-2022, 06:41 AM

Default "update"

Update on my Big Bear, I sourced a carb for the bike and the backfiring has continued, I knew it wasn't due to the carb so I need one anyway.

Turns out my trigger coils are shot on the stator. It's gotten to the point that there is no turning back on this thing, it is going to run for me....LOL.

Thanks for all of the responses.
Old 10-19-2022, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Update on my Big Bear, I sourced a carb for the bike and the backfiring has continued, I knew it wasn't due to the carb so I need one anyway.

Turns out my trigger coils are shot on the stator. It's gotten to the point that there is no turning back on this thing, it is going to run for me....LOL.

Thanks for all of the responses.
I got the Clymer manual for mine, covers virtually every nut and bolt.

Grizz

Old 10-21-2022, 06:23 PM

Default Update on my update

Well after chasing issue after issue, the conclusion is I most likely need a stator or the very least trigger coils. I don't think I can buy those or Amazon, so if anyone has any leads please share. The machine is a 1989 Big Bear with a 350cc engine.
Old 10-21-2022, 06:40 PM

Royal distributing shows one for a 1990 Yamaha big bear 350. $87

https://www.royaldistributing.com/ma...g_bear_350_4x4

Amazon.ca shows one for $90

https://www.amazon.ca/Motorcycle-War...69793413&psc=1

Last edited by jungleboy; 10-21-2022 at 06:45 PM.
Old 10-22-2022, 07:34 AM

Contact me. Might have what you need. I’m in Spruce Grove
Old 10-22-2022, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Well after chasing issue after issue, the conclusion is I most likely need a stator or the very least trigger coils. I don't think I can buy those or Amazon, so if anyone has any leads please share. The machine is a 1989 Big Bear with a 350cc engine.
Rmstator will have what you need.
Old 10-22-2022, 08:39 AM

I bought an RMStator for my Yamaha Grizzly 660. I also replaced the Rectifier at the same time.

The voltage output is right where it should be, and the Stator is apparently higher output in some way shape or form. RMStator has a very good product!

Backfire is a timing issue though, but you want to see 14.4 volts on the DC setting of a multimeter when the machine is running and the battery is disconnected.

Drewski
Old 10-22-2022, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
I bought an RMStator for my Yamaha Grizzly 660. I also replaced the Rectifier at the same time.

The voltage output is right where it should be, and the Stator is apparently higher output in some way shape or form. RMStator has a very good product!

Backfire is a timing issue though, but you want to see 14.4 volts on the DC setting of a multimeter when the machine is running and the battery is disconnected.

Drewski
Yeah that's what I thought as well but the timing and chain are good. As I said went to the stator and checked the ohms on the trigger coils and they're all over the place.
Old 11-13-2022, 07:08 AM

Default **Final Update**

Well, I ended ordering a stator from Ramstator, put the thing on and nothing, was actually worse. Checked the trigger coils on the new stator and they were fine and checked main coil and it was out of whack.

I was wondering about returns; I know electrical stuff is usually not allowed any returns. Next move was I was going to make a good stator out of the two I had. When comparing the two, I noticed the wiring on the coil of the new stator was different then original........so decided to switch the wiring, checked the ohms and it read normal.

After the rewire, put it in and it runs like a top. Now the question is how long. All my research indicates this was a major flaw for the early years and Yamaha changed the system after two years....

Thanks for the recomendations.....
Old 11-13-2022, 07:40 AM

Default 1994 Kodiak

Had the key In the crank shear off on mine 2003. Stator was cooked then. Had it all fixed up and never looked back.

Quad gets used 100km a year now around the Acerage now.

DNLY non ethanol fuel and synthetic oil.

Starts like clockwork. Every-time without fail -30’or plus 30.
Old 11-13-2022, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebrand View Post
Had the key In the crank shear off on mine 2003. Stator was cooked then. Had it all fixed up and never looked back.

Quad gets used 100km a year now around the Acerage now.

DNLY non ethanol fuel and synthetic oil.

Starts like clockwork. Every-time without fail -30’or plus 30.
I think the stators in 92 or maybe even halfway through 91 were changed due to the issues they were having, so it's a crap shoot as to how long it will last, mine could last a week or 10 years. it was an eyeopener chasing down the issues......