Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-29-2021, 10:38 AM

Default First and last Vortex scopes

The Vortex Golden Eagle seemed to have all the features I wanted for long range shooting. 15 x 60 x 52 obj.., which i liked.
My first one come from Bashaw Sports and got her mounted up. The crosshairs were canted. Sent to Vortex in Guelph , they put it on collminator and confirmed a factory defect. Real good to deal with and advised my warranty replacement was coming shortly. Well i got er , brand spanking new so mounted and levelled and back to range. Zeroed at 100 m but was not pretty ..1.5"-2" on 3 different groups with 6.5 , 147 ELDM. It was windy but i thought what the heck is going on. Went over to 300m range and shots all over , 500m was BAD.
Gave it another try a week later then the funny stuff really started , any windage adjustment was crazy....double the distance one moa @ 300 was now 6" + and other wacko stuff. Took it off rifle , packed her up and back to Vortex in Ontario.
Got a call that the scope checked 100% ...?? I told them that scope has a bad windage or return spring . So they said they would send it to a field test guy , I think in US , who would mount it and shoot various distances. He did. He reported a defect with windage turret and scope was as far as he tested during tracking test, at least one MOA out of spec and not repeatable.....wacko , over 5" @ 500.
So they offered an upgrade to a Razor with additional cost. I declined and they refunded my money 100% . Great customer service. Lots of monkeying around mounting , leveling and zeroing [or trying to] then packaging up twice , post office etc. I don't think i am alone on warranty / defect issues with Vortex these days. Two bad scopes back to back ?? Done with Vortex scopes for good.
NightForce is next...buy once cry once.
Old 07-29-2021, 11:12 AM

And another "Vortex" has great warranty thread!

I never liked them, and never will buy one, and would get rid of one even if given to me for free.

The pain of waiting, numerous emails to prove your point with them, probably a two month or more process. Imagine if it was already hinting season, and you had to buy a new scope and be sitting on the Vortex one, or lose your hunting time.

NX8 in your future?
Old 07-29-2021, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallz View Post
And another "Vortex" has great warranty thread!

I never liked them, and never will buy one, and would get rid of one even if given to me for free.

The pain of waiting, numerous emails to prove your point with them, probably a two month or more process. Imagine if it was already hinting season, and you had to buy a new scope and be sitting on the Vortex one, or lose your hunting time.

NX8 in your future?
NightForce 15 x 55 x 52 Competition
Old 07-29-2021, 11:29 AM

The best warranty is the one you never have to use.

With that being said I’ve only ever sent two scopes back for warranty.

1. 2.5-10x40 Bausch and Lomb Balver, it just lost its ability to hold zero, got a brand new 4200 in the same power in return.

2. My 12x FxII Leupold, the reticle snapped while running CCI Stingers through my new 10/22 Ruger (you could feel the buffer pin getting hammered)(reverse recoil)

Both warranty problems were off season and dealt with very well.

And that’s only 2 scopes in over 40 years and well over 3 dozen separate set ups.

There are no absolutes
Old 07-29-2021, 11:53 AM

Vortex have an amazing warranty, the problem is that you will need it.

I prefer to buy things that don't need a warranty.
Old 07-29-2021, 12:23 PM

that's too bad to hear.
all things mechanical can have issues, but vortex seems to take it to the next level.
they supplied the canadian fclass team a few years back, buddy is on his 3rd try to get his golden eagle to make it through a match.
i've found that the glass just does not fit my eyes, cannot get a clear veiw, and it seems like i am looking down a paper towel tube, heavy black perimeter.
always had great luck with sightron higher end, leupold, and nightforce. lee

1. People who list their arguments in bullets points or numerical order generally come off as condescending pecker heads.

2. #1 is true.
Old 07-29-2021, 07:40 PM

Default They wouldn't happen

To be made in China would they?
Old 07-30-2021, 08:54 AM

I had very similar problems. After a$100 in ammo confirming scope was toast. Sent away, repaired. More issues holding zero. Sent away and they replaced with a new one. Didn’t even take out of the box. Sold as new to a great guy in Quebec. Awesome warranty 🤯. Buy once, cry once.
Old 07-30-2021, 09:51 AM

Default Vortex

I have had decent luck with all my vortex products.
I have 2 crossfire ll in 6x18 that have been awesome. Have had them both almost 10 years now. Have had them mounted on multiple rifles from 300wm-243 hold zero dial repeatedly out past 1k decent enough glass to shoot past 1k on 8-12" steel...no warranty issues at all.
I have a viper hst 6-24 that I had to send in for repair after I dropped it on my concrete floor and got some shadowing in the tube..not sure why but they fixed it for free. The failure was my fault. Have had this replacement scope on a 300wm now for the last 5 years and it does all I ask of it.
I also have a 10x monocular after 12 years it started fogging.sent it in and received a brand new replacement.

I get the company has had many haters and for good reason in some cases, but my experience has been great, especially for the cost. Some of their product must be good or they would have been bankrupt years ago...
Old 07-30-2021, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer2 View Post
To be made in China would they?
Golden Eagle and Razor's are made in Japan. Viper is Philippines. Diamondback, Crossfire, etc are chinese
Old 07-30-2021, 09:03 PM

I hear lots of negatives about vortex. However I can’t say I have ever heard of their razor line failing any more than any other premier scopes.

Here’s hoping I’m right as I have one of their LHT razors in 3-15x42.

I will agree though. When the lesser models fail. It definitely turns one off from the brand.
Old 07-31-2021, 02:07 AM

Friends don't let friends buy Vortex scopes.
$500 and up for cost on a rifle scope you should not have problems like this.
I had two separate HSLR scopes fail due to the erector ring not being seated properly.
There rep said the same thing we can get you into a razor series for a good price. I asked if he would refund the $400 in ammo and another few hundred in scope rings I spent sighting in those scopes going through their recommendations.

I don't hate on all vortex gear, I run vortex binos and a range finder. Those are not critical to the success of a failed mulely hunt due to a failed scope..

If I had to trust a $5- 10.,000 hunt to a vortex scope. I would perfer open sites.

But iwill confidently run my Bushnell firefly 3x9 that got dropped doing 80km/hr off my.quad.
Or my Burris, even my leupold. Definitely not a vortex.

Maybe one day if I win the lottery I'd buy one of those razor scopes and put 500 rounds down range in 30-06 or 7mm and see how it holds up. That would be a big maybe
Vortex has not made me a beloved in the reliability of any of their scopes.
Old 07-31-2021, 05:59 AM

Default Scopes

never had a problem with my vortex bought it three years ago and I shoot 20-30 rounds a month I guess I am the lucky one.
Old 07-31-2021, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctd View Post
Friends don't let friends buy Vortex scopes.
$500 and up for cost on a rifle scope you should not have problems like this.
I had two separate HSLR scopes fail due to the erector ring not being seated properly.
There rep said the same thing we can get you into a razor series for a good price. I asked if he would refund the $400 in ammo and another few hundred in scope rings I spent sighting in those scopes going through their recommendations.

I don't hate on all vortex gear, I run vortex binos and a range finder. Those are not critical to the success of a failed mulely hunt due to a failed scope..

If I had to trust a $5- 10.,000 hunt to a vortex scope. I would perfer open sites.

But iwill confidently run my Bushnell firefly 3x9 that got dropped doing 80km/hr off my.quad.
Or my Burris, even my leupold. Definitely not a vortex.

Maybe one day if I win the lottery I'd buy one of those razor scopes and put 500 rounds down range in 30-06 or 7mm and see how it holds up. That would be a big maybe
Vortex has not made me a beloved in the reliability of any of their scopes.

Pretty much spot on. Bino and RF, decent for price, not critical if they fail. Their scopes fail far too often to be worth the risk. Much more reliable gear available for the same price or less, so why mess with known bad gear.
Old 07-31-2021, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrol1957 View Post
never had a problem with my vortex bought it three years ago and I shoot 20-30 rounds a month I guess I am the lucky one.
One scope that hasn't failed doesn't prove much, just as one failed scope doesn't prove much. The problem is that the percentage of failed scopes seems to be much higher than with most other brands.
Old 07-31-2021, 08:29 AM

Quote:
One scope that hasn't failed doesn't prove much
To me it dose like I said I guess I am a lucky one, but I fully understand what you are saying.
Old 07-31-2021, 08:01 PM

All I can say about Vortex is there seems to be a steady stream of returns to them for various non-owner induced issues. Some were even for bad glass,like really bad glass, which really says something to me about their QC program. Certainly seem to be no issues with their warranty policy. Cost on them has to be just dirt cheap to absorb that and thrive. Would be interesting to see their warranty expenses and recoverables & product percentages.
For myself, over the last 12 yrs of buying scopes, it's been tempting to try one out based on features, they have some really well spec'd product, but, just haven't been able to talk myself into it. I bought 2 Zeiss, 3 Swaro's, a Delta, a Sightron, all good, and now a Tract, which is now on the way, be a couple more wks if CBSA doesn't go on strike.. There are some companies offering good product out there, quite competitive as well.
Old 07-31-2021, 09:11 PM

With the vortex reputation I wont buy anything new. I have 1 red dot and a rimfire scope only because they looked as new and they were half the cost of new. I will take that risk if the price is right…
Old 08-01-2021, 07:53 PM

Yeah, I'll never buy a Vortex product I had a viper on a rifle and luckily I was one of the few that never had issues but that being said after purchasing several leupold VX-5s and a NXS I will never even consider vortex and their slapped together products.
Old 08-02-2021, 08:01 AM

Default Vortex

I bought a Vortex scope once, that was both my first and my last Vortex. I couldn't see very well through it despite several attempts to focus it. While sighting it in tracking was poor at best. That scope now sits in my gun safe. I won't sell it. If I don't like why would I pass my crap onto someone else?
Old 08-02-2021, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalerman View Post
I bought a Vortex scope once, that was both my first and my last Vortex. I couldn't see very well through it despite several attempts to focus it. While sighting it in tracking was poor at best. That scope now sits in my gun safe. I won't sell it. If I don't like why would I pass my crap onto someone else?

Send it back to Vortex and get a warranty replacement. They should track properly and be clear, at least when brand new. If it isn't it is defective. I sold all my Vortex brand new in box as they came back from warranty replacement, one for the third time in 2 years. I had bought four as they were a REALLY good deal and I wanted to try them after seeing all the hype. Every last one broke. There was no shortage of buyers.
Old 08-02-2021, 09:16 AM

I have a pair of their Diamondback binos for the truck, so I don't have the Leica Geovids in there to get grabbed. They are fair, work for the truck. I also got a Strike Eagle scope for a rifle a few years back. Illuminated reticle doesn't illuminate anymore. No, it's not the battery. I guess some day I may have to pull it off and send it back. Almost can't be bothered, as it's kind of gimmicky to start with, and the reticle still works even if it doesn't illuminate. That's the last Vortex I buy. Great warranty though.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 08-03-2021, 11:37 AM

Two of my brothers bought Vortex scopes. I'll be shooting one this weekend and mounting the other in the next week or two.

I hadn't heard anything bad about Vortex scopes so never warned them off of the Vortex. Wish this thread was available a couple weeks back..........LOL.

I did try to talk them both into spending some money going with something like Swarovski but the German in them was too loud and even though they can afford buying a highend scope, both wanted to save $$$.

We shall see..............
I am the captain of my soul.

***William Henley***
Old 08-03-2021, 11:42 AM

My PST has been awesome on my 300 win
Old 08-03-2021, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnBlues63 View Post
I hadn't heard anything bad about Vortex scopes so never warned them off of the Vortex. Wish this thread was available a couple weeks back..........LOL.
You joined here 2008 and have never read anything negative about Vortex scopes? That's hard to believe.. Actually I have 3 vortex scopes I ended up with and haven't had any problem with them though I don't use them much as no matter how I try to focus them I can't get them sharp and clear, they all are hazy or cloudy to my eyes.

Last edited by Bushrat; 08-03-2021 at 07:41 PM.
Old 08-04-2021, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
You joined here 2008 and have never read anything negative about Vortex scopes? That's hard to believe.. Actually I have 3 vortex scopes I ended up with and haven't had any problem with them though I don't use them much as no matter how I try to focus them I can't get them sharp and clear, they all are hazy or cloudy to my eyes.

I here you. I think Duceman nailed it when he stated "they are like looking down a paper towel tube" Both of the Golden Eagles [despite the other problems] never seemed that clear and were a strain on my eye , always backing off of ocular and then trying to re-focus.
Old 08-04-2021, 06:09 PM

Friend bought one used on a limited budget. Told him the plus side was he would have a new scope in no time lol
Old 08-04-2021, 06:50 PM

Not sure on whether or not it will last but my Razor LHT gives me a clearer image than my VX5HD at 2800 yards
Old 08-04-2021, 09:16 PM

Never been a fan of Vortex. I always thought their products were kind of clunky and not very streamlined. I do have a set of their bino's for work which I've sent back once for warranty. No questions asked they fixed them and now 4 years later I probably should send them back in again as they seem to come out of focus. I also have a 3x red dot on my Sig 716. It's held zero rattling around in my gun rack at work for 4 years now. I do notice when you spin the dial to change the brightness of the reticle sometimes it flickers on and off. Like others have mentioned, the best warranty is the one you never have to use. For my personal stuff I stick with Leupold.
Old 08-05-2021, 08:23 AM

Default Junk

I have had a few over the years. Never found them to be as good as other equally priced competitor’s scopes. They all went down the road very fast. I agree with the toilet paper tube effect. To me, the biggest negative was eye relief.