Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-23-2021, 09:18 AM

Default What did you do to your boat today?

I thought this may be a fun thread to kick off and keep going. Folks are getting spring fever and likely starting projects on their boats. Post up what you did on your boat today and feel free to show off your rig!

SS

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 04-23-2021, 09:22 AM

I started school in the fall and had to move the boat project to the other side of the shop. Just finished finals so I hope the boat comes out shortly.
Old 04-23-2021, 09:56 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Wink

put in the bird with down imaging and side imaging....I think it is worth more than my entire boat set up.........ol'school got caught up with new school

my first outing will be me looking for my glasses, cursing the bloody thing but will eventually master it....or not!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-23-2021, 10:07 AM

I have installed my new electronics and built a carpeted wood casting deck for the bow of my boat (18ft fiberglass fish & ski). Still have to clean and polish the whole boat, change leg oil, and pack bearings on the trailer. That will be next weekends job when it warms up.
Old 04-23-2021, 10:56 AM

Installed mount for the other Lowrance on my dash to operate the active target. Made my own portable active target mount. Lots of videos on this but not so easy to find the exact right size of pvc pipe to build with. Lol.
Old 04-23-2021, 12:58 PM

Too much!! Purchased a full canvas camper enclosure for those "Less the Optimum" days on the water, Blue Tooth Stereo system, 1100w 120v Inverter....not sure why yet...but hey, Why Not! And finally....a new Lowrance Elite FS system. Ya, this time of year always makes me have boat fever and a big dent in the pocket book!
Old 04-23-2021, 02:23 PM

I just bought a 14ft Naden this week. I bought and mounted a Endura Max 55lb trolling motor. Still working on the wife to let me buy a Helix 7 all season. Mounting seats, redoing the anchor line and mounting the gasser on the weekend hopefully.
Old 04-23-2021, 02:36 PM

Getting her ready to sell. Have had a couple peeks lately and hopefully will be out the door soon. Going to put two new batteries in it, I think. Not sure what exactly to get or where to get them, but once I've replaced the batteries, she'll be almost better than new!
Old 04-23-2021, 04:14 PM
Banned

Changed the engine oil and the $75 fuel filter on the Mercury. Leg oil is done in every Autumn. Batteries are in and the chargers are installed. May 5th is opening day around here.

Free
Old 04-23-2021, 08:58 PM

Good thread n timing. I filled mine full of junk today...Finally gettin round to running electrical and insulating garage so need everything out of the way.
Old 04-23-2021, 10:28 PM

I been a busy lately on my boats. I purchased a new to me 40hp outboard to upgrade from my current 25hp. Upon mounting it I realized my transom had a bit of a bow in it, so I rebuilt the transom and painted it a nice metallic . Yesterday I threw a wrench into the mix and purchased a "project boat" with a blown 40hp. With the help of lady luck and Pilsner beer I was able to get that motor running. I'm not sure what I'm going to do now, I'm debating on keeping the original 40hp I purchased as a spare, for this new boat and possibly put my original boat, motor and trailer on the market to hopefully cash in on these ridiculous covid prices people are paying. Then again I would feel guilty parting with that boat.

Last edited by YeeHaw; 04-23-2021 at 10:34 PM.
Old 04-23-2021, 10:54 PM

Stared at it!

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 04-24-2021, 05:22 AM

Awesome stuff all! Keep it going...

I brought my new rig home and started mounting my Helix 8 MSI+ and my Mega 360. I’m still waiting on my Helix 9 and 10. Hopefully they arrive soon.

Here’s a pic of my placement. I have them rail mounted so they are easy for me to remove and use on another boat or the ice. Wiring it up clean is my job for today.

Old 04-24-2021, 08:59 AM

15 year old 25/HP off and a brand spanking new 40/HP with RPM control on. Broke the motor in a week ago on a lake of glass

Dodger.
Old 04-24-2021, 09:20 AM

I just purchased this girl late last month!

She's still sitting at the previous owners acreage East of Innisfail, but I already have a wish list of replacement parts and maintenance items that I have ordered or are already on hand
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (78.5 KB, 145 views)
Old 04-24-2021, 10:39 AM

Got a good deal on a new 3 gal gas tank with a hose and what I thought was a new type of bulb. Turns out this is $65 demand valve and not a bulb so have been getting an education about what this all about. It only allows fuel to leave the tank when needed by the motor and is supposed to prevent gas from leaking into the water. Thanks to the environment/climate change movement - more cost to boat owners. Apparently it is mandated in the USA for all new outboard tanks.
Old 04-24-2021, 10:43 AM

Just cleaned snow off it . Can't wait for normal temperatures.
Old 04-24-2021, 10:44 AM

I don't have a boat but I did something on The Adam Gamble Outdoors boat. Currently uploading it and you guys can feast your eyes soon! LOL

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 04-24-2021, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppa View Post
Getting her ready to sell. Have had a couple peeks lately and hopefully will be out the door soon. Going to put two new batteries in it, I think. Not sure what exactly to get or where to get them, but once I've replaced the batteries, she'll be almost better than new!

If you are selling, one battery or two will make no difference in the selling price or how fast it moves, nor will having a 3 year old battery in it. Right now people are nuts to buy. The only thing they seem to care about is hull condition and motor. Sold mine last spring, think I should of held out till this spring, would have picked up some extra dollars but even last year I got really good bucks for it and it was gone in 3 days. Paid $28,000 for it 27 years ago, sold it for $22K. Best of luck.
Old 04-24-2021, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSteele View Post
Awesome stuff all! Keep it going...

I brought my new rig home and started mounting my Helix 8 MSI+ and my Mega 360. I’m still waiting on my Helix 9 and 10. Hopefully they arrive soon.

Here’s a pic of my placement. I have them rail mounted so they are easy for me to remove and use on another boat or the ice. Wiring it up clean is my job for today.

Where'd ya get that pole mount? looks sweet
Old 04-24-2021, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stein View Post
Where'd ya get that pole mount? looks sweet

The aluminum portion is a GeigerTech mount that comes with the Universal Mega 360. The base and track mount it is attached to is from Railblaza.

Here’s the finished product.

Deployed.

Stowed for moving spots at speed.

Stowed securely below the gunnel.

SS

Old 04-25-2021, 01:44 PM

I sponge-bathed the big girl before heading back to town today since she had a light patina of dust sitting with the cover off all winter. After 13 years of ownership and ***completely*** rewiring the boat two winters ago, it's finally "done". She probably won't hit the water until June, since I have a lot of shallow water mapping to do in the new Lund tinny before the weeds come up.

Last edited by AlbertanGP; 04-25-2021 at 01:57 PM.
Old 04-25-2021, 02:02 PM

Most of my time has been spent working on the tinny to be ready for open water. The list is too long, so I'll just post pictures when it's done. Just need to mount the 36v battery bank for the Terrova and Vantage under the front seat and strap down the 12 gallon tank up front and I think it's done...for now.

P.S. I'll have a nicely broken in 2020 30HP Mercury for sale later in the summer when my 40HP Suze shows up.

Old 04-25-2021, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertanGP View Post
I sponge-bathed the big girl before heading back to town today since she had a light patina of dust sitting with the cover off all winter. After 13 years of ownership and ***completely*** rewiring the boat two winters ago, it's finally "done". She probably won't hit the water until June, since I have a lot of shallow water mapping to do in the new Lund tinny before the weeds come up.

Nice rig. Have always loved Warrior boats, nothing else runs big rough water like a Warrior.
Old 04-25-2021, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
Stared at it!
x2.......with big sad eyes waiting.
Old 04-25-2021, 03:55 PM

Just installed 2 trolling motor batteries to feed the Terrova up front. I went with group 31 AGM’s from Costco online. They were here within a week. Mounted 2 new rod holders to free up the hands for drinking coffee. Rebuilt the lower unit on an Evinrude 9.9 for a kicker. Hopefully be better trolling on the days it’s too windy for the electric to handle. I’m sure an 80 lb thrust electric would be nice but probably not gonna happen for awhile. Got a new seat pedestal on order that should be here in the next couple of days. Can’t wait to hit the water.
Old 04-25-2021, 06:03 PM

Dropped it off at the local dealer on consignment.

Last edited by Frank_NK28; 01-01-2022 at 09:10 AM.
Old 04-26-2021, 10:40 AM

Finished a couple things after the engine swap in the fall

Wish it wasn't such a rush, would have liked to have taken a day to go through all the wiring

Yet to do- install 2 new AGM batteries, make cannon/scotty conversion plate for line puller, trailer suspension needs some work, have to install new tilt/trim senders, 7 new tires, fix shore power wiring issue to hose battery, rebuild electric steering system for kicker, install Shockwave S5 seat base, top up oils and check pumps. I would love to find someone that can cut polish the boat too.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 04-26-2021, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertanGP View Post
Most of my time has been spent working on the tinny to be ready for open water. The list is too long, so I'll just post pictures when it's done. Just need to mount the 36v battery bank for the Terrova and Vantage under the front seat and strap down the 12 gallon tank up front and I think it's done...for now.

P.S. I'll have a nicely broken in 2020 30HP Mercury for sale later in the summer when my 40HP Suze shows up.

This is a really nice little vessel!

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 04-26-2021, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
I would love to find someone that can cut polish the boat too.
If you're around Edmonton, I can put you in touch with the guy that does all Martin Motorsports wake boats. He does my Warrior.