Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-10-2021, 09:56 AM

Default Suggestions on how to rig a Jaw Jacker for Pike?

I just got a new Jaw Jacker and jigging base for Christmas. I ordered two rods for it, a medium heavy and an extra heavy. I will be using it for pike in shallow water. Any suggestions for lures, bait, which jigging wheel, or any other tips?
Old 01-10-2021, 10:16 AM

I love the set up u got. But I don’t use them for pike, normally walleye and catch a few small to mid size pike periodically. If u r targeting large pike I would stay with a tip up with 7 inch bait on bottom or a few inches off. The jawjacker rig has outfished me plenty. I use a 28 inch medium heavy rod. Seems to be the best well round weight. Enjoy. PS don’t have your face over it. It hurts if it unloads
Old 01-10-2021, 10:16 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Use a large herring/smelt...treble hook hooked midway and one by the back both facing rearwards....12" to weight to get it down...I like to open the bait fish up a bit to get scent out....set line taught to jaw jacker....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-10-2021, 10:46 AM

There's a few things I do if targeting pike.

medium/ heavy rod. 32 inches. I like the ugly stik rods for this cheap. Cheap and good action.

20 inch flourocarbon leader

20lb braid.

Flasher jig head.

Set JJ so line is close to the far side. That way your rod won't get dragged down.

Set firm enough to set the hook, loose enough it can run a bit until you get there.

Done great with up to 12lb jacks with this settup. If targeting bigger look at an Ice Fish pro.
Old 01-10-2021, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timsesink View Post

20 inch flourocarbon leader
What weight line for leader? Do you use normal flourocarbon line or the tougher flourocarbon leader material?
Old 01-10-2021, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrillBoss View Post
What weight line for leader? Do you use normal flourocarbon line or the tougher flourocarbon leader material?
80# fluorocarbon. You can get 4' lengths, 75 in a package works out to 100yds for $16.99 at Bass Pro. It's cheaper than buying it by the spool! I make my own quick-strike rigs and use #8 & #6 treble hooks.
Old 01-10-2021, 03:02 PM

If I'm fishing my jaw jacker (a device that immediately trips and sets the hook) - I tend to use smaller baits like a full sized minnow as opposed to a bigger herring. I seem to have more hook ups this way.

If your jacker trips the minute a pike grabs a big bait there's a good chance it will pull it out of his mouth and spook him. Of course, you could stick him, which is great, but sometimes a smaller bait works better for a jaw jacker.

For big baits like herring, this is off a free spool rig using a circle hook (a totally different technique).

I run a owner heavy shank jig and skewer a minnow (or full smelt) so when he decides to stop looking at it and sucks it in, when it trips, there a darn good chance he's stuck.
Old 01-11-2021, 08:12 AM
Suspended User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Use a large herring/smelt...treble hook hooked midway and one by the back both facing rearwards....12" to weight to get it down...I like to open the bait fish up a bit to get scent out....set line taught to jaw jacker....
Check the regs on the number of hooks allowed per ice fishing line. Pretty sure it says one treble hook per line. I use only one treble and have no problem hooking them, plus makes the bait balance and swim while jigging
Old 01-11-2021, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDave View Post
Check the regs on the number of hooks allowed per ice fishing line. Pretty sure it says one treble hook per line. I use only one treble and have no problem hooking them, plus makes the bait balance and swim while jigging
Can you please copy and paste, or provide a page reference for the regulations for this? I reviewed the regulations and genuinely could not find this regulation. I could be blind though.
Old 01-11-2021, 10:23 AM

Quote:
https://albertaregulations.ca/fishin...eral-regs.html

Illegal to use a line in angling equipped with more than three hooks (e.g., three hooks, or three single-hook lures, or one three-hook lure).

Hook – A single-, double- or triple-pointed hook on a common shaft, and includes hooks attached to a lure. (Note: some legal lures appear to have a hook with four points, but actually have two shafts each with two points, meaning that this lure has two hooks).

Old 01-11-2021, 10:28 AM

Quote:

Illegal to use a line in angling equipped with more than three hooks (e.g., three hooks, or three single-hook lures, or one three-hook lure).

Hook – A single-, double- or triple-pointed hook on a common shaft, and includes hooks attached to a lure. (Note: some legal lures appear to have a hook with four points, but actually have two shafts each with two points, meaning that this lure has two hooks).
That's what I found as well. Which clearly states you can have up to three treble hooks per line.

Glad I haven't been fishing illegal hooks .
Old 01-11-2021, 04:11 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJalberta View Post
That's what I found as well. Which clearly states you can have up to three treble hooks per line.

Glad I haven't been fishing illegal hooks .
ya You and lure companies like TC Moto...and me too....

Old 01-11-2021, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Read the regs again as you have miss interpreted it
Old 01-11-2021, 05:51 PM

6-8 inches from the bottom and a white jig head with a minnow, they won't be the monsters but you'll be catching all day.
Old 01-11-2021, 10:02 PM

Quote:

Need to read that, then look up the definition of a hook.