Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-18-2020, 09:33 PM

Default Barrel mounted chronographs

Does anyone know of a different kind of barrel mounted chronograph than the Magneto speed? I find the Magneto speed cheaply made.
Old 12-19-2020, 08:41 AM
Banned

The sporter or the v3?
Next step up would be a lab radar
Old 12-19-2020, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
The sporter or the v3?
Next step up would be a lab radar
Providing you have no cartridges producing more than 3900fps.
Old 12-19-2020, 09:23 AM

No other barrel mounted models that I’m aware of. What about the magneto didn’t you like? I’ve had zero issues with mine, and use it with some rifles that are more abusive than most.
Old 12-19-2020, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugerfan View Post
No other barrel mounted models that I’m aware of. What about the magneto didn’t you like? I’ve had zero issues with mine, and use it with some rifles that are more abusive than most.
I just want a better quality product. The issue I have with Magneto is super cheap plastic and how it mounts on the barrel, moving with every shot. They should have come up with a locking strap that produces tension when you lock it, similar to a caming devise.
Old 12-19-2020, 11:03 AM

I use the thin rubber 'shim' (flat on one side and stepped on the other side) between the top of the barrel and the strap. This seems to eliminate any/most movement.
Old 12-19-2020, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chukar Hunter View Post
I just want a better quality product. The issue I have with Magneto is super cheap plastic and how it mounts on the barrel, moving with every shot. They should have come up with a locking strap that produces tension when you lock it, similar to a caming devise.
I have never had the issue of the device moving under recoil, with the V2 I have, you can tighten the device with the knob on the threaded adjuster, until it is very tight, and the rubber shoe grips very well on the barrel.
Old 12-19-2020, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I have never had the issue of the device moving under recoil, with the V2 I have, you can tighten the device with the knob on the threaded adjuster, until it is very tight, and the rubber shoe grips very well on the barrel.
Same here. Never had an issue with it moving.
Old 12-19-2020, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Are you using the tensioning knob or just the cam buckle? Should be able to get it really tight with the knob.
Old 12-19-2020, 12:55 PM

I find the tensioning system could be more effective. I can usually get it not to slip but it can take some fiddling with it and adding more than the provided shims. Other times it doesn’t seem to hold with as much tension as I try to get out of it.
It’s not the best design but I like the device and the price wasn’t bad when it was on sale
Old 12-19-2020, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoseto View Post
I find the tensioning system could be more effective. I can usually get it not to slip but it can take some fiddling with it and adding more than the provided shims. Other times it doesn’t seem to hold with as much tension as I try to get out of it.
It’s not the best design but I like the device and the price wasn’t bad when it was on sale
My experience as well.
Old 12-19-2020, 02:40 PM

Shim on bottom. Other shim on top and it won’t move.

-Billy Molls
Old 12-19-2020, 02:57 PM
Banned

There is a shim kit for different barrel diameters
Old 12-19-2020, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Have you tried their tapered barrel pads? I you have a tapered barrel, the flat pads will allow the bayonet to slide.
Old 12-19-2020, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Does anyone know of a different kind of barrel mounted chronograph than the Magneto speed? I find the Magneto speed cheaply made.
Which model do you have?
Old 12-19-2020, 07:57 PM

Default Magneto speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by AI 6.5 View Post
Which model do you have?
Sporter.
Old 12-19-2020, 08:04 PM

Mine has been good and slippage has not been an issue. Used on several different rifles.
Old 12-19-2020, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Sporter.
No wonder, you bought the cheapest model they sell, it has an inferior clamp design, and it doesn't have as many shims to adjust properly on all barrels.
Old 12-19-2020, 08:38 PM

Quote:
No wonder, you bought the cheapest model they sell, it has an inferior clamp design, and it doesn't have as many shims to adjust properly on all barrels.
Mine is a V2. Is the Sporter that much different?
Old 12-19-2020, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
Mine is a V2. Is the Sporter that much different?
The clamp is different, and it doesn't have all of the shims. It is the economy model. I have the V2 as well, but I have handled a Sporter.
Old 12-19-2020, 10:41 PM

I had some issues with it slipping on a tapered barrel the first time I used my V3, then I went and grabbed the tapered barrel shims, cured that. It does what I want it to do for the amount I use it, works great, think I had 2 bad readings out of about 150 now, they were in the first round, with it slipping on the bbl.

If you can't stand the Sporter and want a good chrono, and don't like the Labradar, there is always the Oehler 35p, but, it is about the same money as a Labradar, be about 900.00 landed here. It does incl 3 screens, a printer and a rail, just adapt the rail to a tripod and you're away.

There is also the Shotmarker setup, but, I'd be careful with that on a club range, best be trusting the people on the line. They used it at the FTR Nationals in the US at 1000yds. 800.00 US. Cool unit though

Then the Silver Mtn Solo, 850.00 US, same idea as the Shotmarker, who are both using the principle that Kongsberg uses in a general sense. Kongsberg starts at 4k though.

Other than that, there is one I forget the name of for sure, CSC had them for a while (Smart?) and the optical stuff like CEB, Pro Chrono, Caldwell and Chrony.
Old 12-20-2020, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32-40win View Post
I had some issues with it slipping on a tapered barrel the first time I used my V3, then I went and grabbed the tapered barrel shims, cured that. It does what I want it to do for the amount I use it, works great, think I had 2 bad readings out of about 150 now, they were in the first round, with it slipping on the bbl.

If you can't stand the Sporter and want a good chrono, and don't like the Labradar, there is always the Oehler 35p, but, it is about the same money as a Labradar, be about 900.00 landed here. It does incl 3 screens, a printer and a rail, just adapt the rail to a tripod and you're away.

There is also the Shotmarker setup, but, I'd be careful with that on a club range, best be trusting the people on the line. They used it at the FTR Nationals in the US at 1000yds. 800.00 US. Cool unit though

Then the Silver Mtn Solo, 850.00 US, same idea as the Shotmarker, who are both using the principle that Kongsberg uses in a general sense. Kongsberg starts at 4k though.

Other than that, there is one I forget the name of for sure, CSC had them for a while (Smart?) and the optical stuff like CEB, Pro Chrono, Caldwell and Chrony.

I love the old Oehlers but they are not barrel mounted. I just submitted my drawings to our club president for the installation of the "tube" system at Shepard. Hoping it goes through so we can keep the range open. Having said that, with a tube system, Lab radar and other free standing ones are redundant!
Old 12-20-2020, 04:19 PM

Quote:
The clamp is different, and it doesn't have all of the shims. It is the economy model. I have the V2 as well, but I have handled a Sporter.
V2 is no longer made!
Old 12-20-2020, 04:40 PM

Quote:
V2 is no longer made!
The V3 is the updated version of the V2.
Old 12-20-2020, 06:32 PM

V3 for sale
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=391239
Old 12-21-2020, 11:26 AM

Quote:
I love the old Oehlers but they are not barrel mounted. I just submitted my drawings to our club president for the installation of the "tube" system at Shepard. Hoping it goes through so we can keep the range open. Having said that, with a tube system, Lab radar and other free standing ones are redundant!
Can't quite wrap my head around a tube system, what are you thinking of accomplishing there as related to a chrono. I have some vague idea, just like to see what you are envisioning.
Old 12-21-2020, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32-40win View Post
Can't quite wrap my head around a tube system, what are you thinking of accomplishing there as related to a chrono. I have some vague idea, just like to see what you are envisioning.
Shooting through a 24" steel pipe that extends to the first berm with a slot at the bottom and an angled cut at the end, that simple. You will hopefully see it built in 2021! Our ONLY option if you want to shoot 10 mins from your home at 100 yards outdoors.
Old 12-21-2020, 08:04 PM

How close to the benches does the tube start?
Old 12-21-2020, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBE View Post
How close to the benches does the tube start?
It comes OVER the bench but does not sit on it. You will see.
Old 12-24-2020, 02:47 PM

I would expect the lease will be the governing factor on the life of that range in the near future. Tubes may well help, but, in the current climate, could be other factors from outside sources influencing that. Sure be a hell of a racket with a brake on a gun, may be interesting to test noise channeling from it towards the houses on the west, could act like an elk tube, fun clearing smoke at times on a BP gun too. Try it and find out I guess.