Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-22-2020, 06:19 PM

Default Improved DIY Jigging tipup. Pic heavy.

As promised, albeit almost uselessly late in the ice season, I finally took some pictures of my "improved" wind jiggers. Unlike the original concept... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETsIn9mYYVQ ... these do not let you fight fish off of a regular ice rod, but they do have their advantages.

The main thing is portability, here it is folded up for transport, unlike most homemade rigs you can easily fit a half dozen of these in a 5 gallon pail.

DSCF1388 by , on Flickr

Here it is set up, stab the lumber into the slush, the strapping is held on by another chunk of strapping which it telescopes through. The thinner flag banding has a hook bent into the end to keep it on the spool. You can adjust how easily the tipup is tripped by changing how hooked the flag banding is. I slip a piece of thin cardboard onto the business end to catch more wind when needed. The line runs through a key ring.

DSCF1389 by , on Flickr

A little closer look at the business end.

DSCF1390 by , on Flickr

Fish on!

DSCF1391 by , on Flickr

Not a tip-up fish, but an important one, my youngest nephew's first fish! Caught just today!

DSCF1386 by , on Flickr

A few eaters that I let the kids keep. Big smiles, sunburned faces, and full bellies tonight. All the best.

DSCF1392 by , on Flickr
Old 01-12-2021, 10:46 PM

With the new ice season getting into full swing, I'll give this one a bump.
Old 01-13-2021, 09:29 AM

I found that if it is even slightly windy you can simply cut a 4 to 6 foot twig from shore and support your line with that. The breeze will give the bait a lot of activity and easy enough to set up. Just stick the butt end of the twig in the snow and loop your line over the pother end.

Burglar: Aren't you going to call the cops?
Farmer: Why? Nobody knows you're here
Old 01-13-2021, 10:20 AM

Sweet looking tip! Those boys will remember that day for a very long time.

BW