Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-13-2019, 10:07 AM

Default Is it a safe bet now days to buy used from a dealer or lot?

Looking for used car for my daughter. Kijiji doesn’t have a lot privately but dealers and lots seem to have good selections. Now days with car fax and vin checks, pretty much all of them come with amvic inspections. Most even have 6 month warranty. is it a safe bet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-13-2019, 10:49 AM

Go on YouTube and search for 60minutecar channel.

Watch all his videos.

You will learn how not to get taken advantage of.
Old 07-13-2019, 10:50 AM

You'll pay a bit more for that used vehicle from a dealer than from a private sale. But with them standing behind it for 6 months makes a huge difference. Sure you'll always run into you're regular repair needs but at least if you drive it for 2 days and the transmission goes you don't have to worry about the sellers phone number not being in service anymore.
Old 07-13-2019, 11:17 AM

1. People lie and cheat
2. Dealers and lots are about making money, you pay more but can get a warranty to cover your *****
3. Sometimes people try to recoup their losses while trying to dump their lemons. Refer to #1
Old 07-13-2019, 11:27 AM

I’d avoid the lots but dealerships are good. They send the crap to auction. I got a 07 corolla for my daughter at the dealership for a better price than I could find on kijiji.
Old 07-13-2019, 11:31 AM

Yeah. It seems the private sellers are shadier then the dealers. Looked at at least 6 vehicles. One car I was about to make a offer on but just glanced a certain way and could see the hail damage. The other after I drove it noticed 2 tires were separated and had a bulge on the side wall. Seller still wouldn’t budge cuz he said I could get tires off Kijiji for 200 bux

Old 07-13-2019, 11:32 AM

The worst thing about car dealers are the salesman they are not your friends although some like to come off that way.
I shop at dealers for protection if something goes wrong at least there's some hope getting satisfaction although they will try to weasel out of it and then there's the hidden fees they charge to sell you something I have dropped a pen on the desk and left over this more than once.

Buying private is risky recently a friend bought a SUV for $15K 6 months later the tranny piled up $6K to get that fixed not much savings on that one.
Old 07-13-2019, 11:53 AM

Unless you are buying Certified used with warranty, and full paper work explaining the coverage, terms etc from a branded dealer you are not going to get any extra protection. A used car bought at a dealership with no specific warranty papers and written into the bill of sale is basically as is where is and yes I know they have to give you a mechanical fitness report, just try to enforce it..

Take a look at just one of the things supposedly reputable major brand dealers are up to

Quote:
AMVIC issues 16 charges against Grove Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram
DATE: 20 February 2019 | By AMVIC Communications | Consumer bulletins | News releases

Edmonton— The dealer principal, business manager, general sales manager and a salesperson working out of Spruce Grove-based GRV C Motors LP, operating as Grove Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram, have each been charged with the following under the Consumer Protection Act (CPA):

Section 6(2)(a) relating to undue pressure;
Section 6(2)(b) relating to taking advantage of a consumer;
Section 6(3)(a) relating to failure to receive benefit from a purchase; and
Section 6(3)(b) relating to inability to pay.
An elderly consumer attended the business in November 2018 and is alleging she was pressured into purchasing a vehicle she could not afford. The consumer then returned to the business in an attempt to rectify the situation and alleges she was pressured into purchasing a second vehicle. The Alberta Motor Vehicle Industry Council (AMVIC) received the consumer complaint on Dec. 19, 2018 and opened an investigation which has resulted in 16 charges. The Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) have also opened an investigation into the matter.

Anyone who has concerns over recent dealings with Grove Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram should contact AMVIC’s consumer services team online, via email or by phone:

file a concern/complaint online at amvic.org
email complaints@amvic.org
call (780) 466-1140 ext. 2002 or toll free 1-877-979-8100 ext. 2002, Monday- Friday, 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.

Bought off a used lot, you are dealing with a curber that has a spot to store his inventory, most aren't even AMVIC members. To be fair there are a few really reputable used car lots that have been around for a long time but you need to know exactly who they are as most are of the curber variety.

Here is some useful info about AMVIC licensed dealers or lots.

https://www.amvic.org/buying-a-used-vehicle/

Best advice I can give you is whether you buy privately or from a Dealer with no written warranty get the car examined in detail by an independent mechanic. Have him go over it in great detail, might cost you a couple of hundred to do a good job but that is peanuts compared to what it could cost you down the road.
Old 07-13-2019, 12:29 PM

The thing is when u see the ads and they say certified used is because they are rebuilds.

Old 07-13-2019, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweld View Post
The thing is when u see the ads and they say certified used is because they are rebuilds.

Then there are two versions of certified used, check out Lexus, BMW, Toyota, Infinity, Honda websites for their definition of certified used. A high mile or rebuilt car would never qualify for their certified program, nor would they come with the extensive Certified Warranty documentation these makers provide. These are not dealer dependant, they are specified by the manufacturer,

https://www.toyotacertified.com/

A small excerpt from the link.

Quote:
Certification Process
Our certification process keeps you in mind every step of the way. The TCUV standards apply from the time a Toyota dealer acquires the vehicle through to the final sale. Each candidate for certification can be a current model year vehicle, up to and including six year old models, with 85,000 miles or less on the odometer. Prior to the rigorous 160-point inspection every certified Toyota goes through, a CARFAX vehicle history report is reviewed to ensure that only the best of the best vehicles receive the Toyota Certified Seal of approval.

Last edited by Dean2; 07-13-2019 at 12:40 PM.
Old 07-13-2019, 12:47 PM

The only way I would ever buy from a used car lot is if I needed the financing. Since I usually don't, I much prefer to deal privately. At a used car lot they have professional groomers, salesmen, and touch up artists. In short, they have a whole network set up to get a sucker into a lemon, you know that last POS you traded in on a new one because it was nickle and diming you into the poorhouse? That's might be what you are purchasing. A curber can be almost as sneaky, but I'm pretty good at figuring out when I'm dealing with a semi-pro, unfortunately it seems like these guys have gotten more common over the years and I really hate wasting a day driving around looking at cars that I know I wont buy within a few minuets of meeting the seller. A regular guy is going to have a lot tougher time hiding problems from me, and I have typically done far better with this type of seller.

The biggest bit of advice I would ever give anyone shopping at a car lot is never buy an "off brand car". By that I mean, when a Dodge gets traded in at a Honda dealership it is a fairly safe bet that its previous owner was not happy with it. I realise that this is not always the case, but I have noticed that there seems to be a pretty high percentage of lemons among people I work with when they go and buy a GM off of a Ford lot etc. When researching the vehicles history this is something I would look for.

Last edited by Bushleague; 07-13-2019 at 01:01 PM.
Old 07-13-2019, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
Buying private is risky recently a friend bought a SUV for $15K 6 months later the tranny piled up $6K to get that fixed not much savings on that one.
OK it might sound like I’m picking on you. Maybe I am a bit but the above post is just ridiculous. Let’s play it out in other various forms.

1. Friend bought an SUV certified used from a dealer for 19k, 6 months later the tranny piled up6k to fix as warranty was over. Not much savings there.

2. Friend bought brand new from a dealership paid 90k for an SUV 6 days later the tranny piled up cost him 0k not much savings there.

3. Friend bought an SUV from an auction for 11k 6 months later tranny piled up 6k to fix not much savings there.

4 Friend bought a Toyota, BAM, 6 months later, herpes. No savings there.

My point being transmissions fail. Just like anything else. New used or otherwise. If he drive it for 6 months, possibly he is to blame for the failure as much as the previous owner.

As for the herpes, that must be what happens to Tacoma owners.
Old 07-13-2019, 01:55 PM

Whoops, not sure why I wrote months?
it was 6 days there was no warning just put it into reverse and done it could have gone for any reason although if it had been bought a dealership at least he could have tried to deal a little.

Fate can be a cruel mistress A young guy in Lloyd bought a car for $3K it was stolen that night found burned on the rez in the morning.
Old 07-13-2019, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
Whoops, not sure why I wrote months?
it was 6 days there was no warning just put it into reverse and done it could have gone for any reason although if it had been bought a dealership at least he could have tried to deal a little.
6 days is a different story. OK, I gotta cut you some slack, and apologize for picking on you.

Sorry
Old 07-13-2019, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweld View Post
Looking for used car for my daughter. Kijiji doesn’t have a lot privately but dealers and lots seem to have good selections. Now days with car fax and vin checks, pretty much all of them come with amvic inspections. Most even have 6 month warranty. is it a safe bet?

How much are you looking to spend? I've bought private, from a lot, and from dealership. Have a bit of knowledge I can share. Price point makes a difference. Current truck was from a dealership, $40k used. Not much for issues. Other lower priced deals, had issues. My impression has been they are just trying to make a quick buck and get rid of stuff with hidden issues. Hit and miss, if you know your stuff, might be able to get a decent deal. If not, you might get taken for quite a ride.
Old 07-13-2019, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
OK it might sound like I’m picking on you. Maybe I am a bit but the above post is just ridiculous. Let’s play it out in other various forms.

1. Friend bought an SUV certified used from a dealer for 19k, 6 months later the tranny piled up6k to fix as warranty was over. Not much savings there.

2. Friend bought brand new from a dealership paid 90k for an SUV 6 days later the tranny piled up cost him 0k not much savings there.

3. Friend bought an SUV from an auction for 11k 6 months later tranny piled up 6k to fix not much savings there.

4 Friend bought a Toyota, BAM, 6 months later, herpes. No savings there.

My point being transmissions fail. Just like anything else. New used or otherwise. If he drive it for 6 months, possibly he is to blame for the failure as much as the previous owner.

As for the herpes, that must be what happens to Tacoma owners.
Jeeze! #4 - Herpes from a used Toyota!? I knew there had to be something wrong with them!
Old 07-13-2019, 02:55 PM

Honestly, it’s really hard to say. Used vehicles are gambles every time, and there are some pros and cons of buying from a lot vs a private seller.

Biggest problem IMO is you have no idea what the previous owner was like, which by itself can give a great idea how a vehicle was treated, and thus how much life is left in it. Like others have said, they have professional detailers and touchup guys who can make a car that never once was vacuumed or properly washed once in 5 years look almost brand new. Does an owner who takes crap care of the car’s interior/exterior going to follow the vehicle maintenance schedule to a T? Not likely. For all you know it used to have 5 Monster stickers and got the **** driven out of it by some guy with a flat brim hat.

Even worse with auction vehicles that are purchased and resold by used lots, which is VERY common. Not many “good” vehicles that were treated well and maintained properly are sent to auctions.

However, lots do offer varying levels of inspections and work done to the vehicle. And sometimes they have a ton of flexibility on the price, since for trade-ins they get them at dirt cheap prices so their margins are insane. Not uncommon for a trade-in on a dealer lot to have been purchased for lets say $10k and then listed for $18k+.

I’ve only purchased one used vehicle from a dealership and it was probably the best truck I’ve owned. It had also just passed an OOP, and was a Chevy truck traded in on a brand new Chevy truck, and by just looking at it you could tell it was owned by some older, mature couple. I bought it for 70% of the listed price, and probably could have gotten it cheaper but I didn’t have all day to wait around writing numbers down and then having the sales associate walk over to their sales manager and back with counter offers.

PS a transmission piling up on a used vehicle 6 months after purchase doesn’t really sound like they bought a lemon. Maybe if it blew up 2 weeks after purchase or something. Sounds like either they were hard on the thing or it was just the transmission coming to the end of its life. Those things aren’t built to last forever.
Old 07-13-2019, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloopbloob View Post
Jeeze! #4 - Herpes from a used Toyota!? I knew there had to be something wrong with them!
Foreign herpes. That’s bad luck and tougher to get rid of
Old 07-13-2019, 04:25 PM

Here's an eye opener, W5 Calgary Ab.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9YKti86v58

Thomas Sowell
Old 07-14-2019, 01:29 PM

I have bought a few from the auction with mixed results

Would be very cautious of Osman though as I bought a Tundra and when I got it home realized that a bunch of the electronics for the safety systems had been cut or altered. They were very difficult until I said I was going to AMVIC with my complaint about the life system being altered and then all of a sudden I was told to bring the truck back for a full refund

2 weeks later truck back on the sale list at Osman. Pretty sketchy to put a family at risk for a couple hundred bucks in commission

Auction prices especially on vehicles 8+ years old can be good but I have enough vehicle knowledge to see the obvious stuff but always buy expecting to have some costs in repairs.