Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-26-2009, 11:19 PM
Banned

Default Shooting 22LR from a 22WMR

For any who have a 22WMR how is the accuracy when shooting 22LR out of those.

Old 06-26-2009, 11:27 PM

Different, not a good idea.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:33 PM

Never crossed my mind to try that...let us know how it worked out...
Old 06-26-2009, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
Different, not a good idea.
X2.... don't do it.
Old 06-27-2009, 12:07 AM

I guess to put it bluntly, the cases for .22 magnum and .22lr do not have the same dimensions, and Im not talking about just the OAL, the diameter and rims are different as well. Unfortunately its not like shooting a .22 short in a long chamber. Shooting a .22Lr in a magnum chamber is risking damage to both the rifle and shooter. If it were me, and my rifle, I wouldn't even bother trying it for the money you would save on the ammo.
Old 06-27-2009, 06:38 AM

Old 06-27-2009, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbs View Post
I guess to put it bluntly, the cases for .22 magnum and .22lr do not have the same dimensions, and Im not talking about just the OAL, the diameter and rims are different as well. Unfortunately its not like shooting a .22 short in a long chamber. Shooting a .22Lr in a magnum chamber is risking damage to both the rifle and shooter. If it were me, and my rifle, I wouldn't even bother trying it for the money you would save on the ammo.
Common sense.
Grizz
Old 06-27-2009, 10:56 AM

The bullet may hit the target at 50yrds or even better (.224" vs. 223" bullet I believe) however as others said the case of the WMR is a larger diameter and you risk split cases and some fun times with gas blow-back!!!!! BAD IDEA!!!

Dont for get that little .22lr can push 24000 psi max chamber pressure. I dont really fancy 20000psi gas pressure shot back into my eyes or anywhere thanks! Especially from the guys next to me at the range. Had the unpleasant experience with guys getting stuck cases due to over-pressure in a .30-06....I moved!

Sometimes I think shooters forget that we are detonating bombs 4 inches from our faces. Sure, most modern guns and brass can hold way in excess of SAAMI max pressures, but why push the issue? I still meet people who put 3" steel shells into their grand-dads old shotgun "well the 3"shell fits in, so whats the problem?"...."Charles Darwin, paging Mr. Charles Darwin....."

There is so much reliable firearm literature and internet resources out there these days, shooters owe it to themselves to be well informed of technical safety issues.
Old 06-27-2009, 11:47 AM
Banned

The fellows who I've heard using 22 LR in 22 WMR install some type of chamber insert or adapter probably similar to the following. The question was about accuracy though as I think the rifling for both is usually about the same, somewhere around a 14" - 16 " twist.

http://www.mcace.com/adapters.htm

Last edited by Jetski; 06-27-2009 at 12:11 PM.
Old 06-27-2009, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpheasant View Post
"... let us know how it worked out ..."
^ NEGATORY!!!

For reasons already given, DON'T try it!

This is what happend to my younger brother when he tried it ...

TF
Old 06-27-2009, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetski View Post
"The fellows who I've heard using 22 LR in 22 WMR install some type of chamber insert or adapter probably similar to the following . . . "
O.K., so now we understand what you're up to. Sorry for my stupid photo of my brother ... or rather, my photo of my stupid brother.

Anyways, I've never seen one of those insert thingies before ... looks like they just might work!

As for 'accuracy', the proof would be in the pudding ... give it a try!

TF
Old 06-28-2009, 09:47 PM
Banned

Chamber adapters aside, It looks like in everyones opinion a 22LR round is not 'capable of being discharged' in the 22WMR as stipulated in the Canadian Criminal Code;

P.C. 1998-1664 reads as follows:

The Regulations Prescribing Antique Firearms P.C. 1998-1664 16 September, 1998 His Excellency the Governor General in Council, on the recommendation of the Minister of Justice, pursuant to the definitions "prescribed"(see footnote a) and "antique firearm"(see footnote b) in subsection 84(1) and to subsection 117.15(1)(see footnote c) of the Criminal Code, hereby makes the annexed Regulations Prescribing Antique Firearms.

REGULATIONS PRESCRIBING ANTIQUE FIREARMS PRESCRIPTION

1. The firearms listed in the schedule are antique firearms for the purposes of paragraph (b) of the definition "antique firearm" in subsection 84(1) of the Criminal Code. COMING INTO FORCE 2. These Regulations come into force on October 1, 1998. SCHEDULE (Section 1)

BLACK POWDER REPRODUCTIONS 1. A reproduction of a flintlock, wheel-lock or matchlock firearm, other than a handgun, manufactured after 1897.

RIFLES 2. A rifle manufactured before 1898 that is capable of discharging only rim-fire cartridges, other than 22 Calibre Short, 22 Calibre Long or 22 Calibre Long Rifle cartridges.

3. A rifle manufactured before 1898 that is capable of discharging centre-fire cartridges, whether with a smooth or rifled bore, having a bore diameter of 8.3 mm or greater, measured from land to land in the case of a rifled bore, with the exception of a repeating firearm fed by any type of cartridge magazine.

SHOTGUNS 4. A shotgun manufactured before 1898 that is capable of discharging only rim-fire cartridges, other than 22 Calibre Short, 22 Calibre Long or 22 Calibre Long Rifle cartridges.
5. A shotgun manufactured before 1898 that is capable of discharging centre-fire cartridges, other than 10, 12, 16, 20, 28 or 410 gauge cartridges.

HANDGUNS 6. A handgun manufactured before 1898 that is capable of discharging only rim-fire cartridges, other than 22 Calibre Short, 22 Calibre Long or 22 Calibre Long Rifle cartridges.
7. A handgun manufactured before 1898 that is capable of discharging centre-fire cartridges, other than a handgun designed or adapted to discharge 32 Short Colt, 32 Long Colt, 32 Smith and Wesson, 32 Smith and Wesson Long, 32-20 Winchester, 38 Smith and Wesson, 38 Short Colt, 38 Long Colt, 38-40 Winchester, 44-40 Winchester, or 45 Colt cartridges.

So I imagine that a pre-1898 Remington rolling block single shot rifle rechambered for 22WMR would still be considered an antique firearm in Canada as it would not be 'capable of discharging 22 Calibre Short, 22 Calibre Long or 22 Calibre Long Rifle cartridges', capable meaning having the correct capacity and being of sufficient size or strength.

Last edited by Jetski; 06-28-2009 at 10:19 PM.