Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 04-13-2016, 06:26 PM

Default New 3D Course for Sherwood Park Fish and Game

All the volunteers got it done last Saturday and SPFGA now has a great 3D course with 22 targets out to 50 yards. Lots of compliments on the new shooting lanes and the new Reinhart targets. Many looking forward to members 3D shoot on May 15. Get your membership and come join us!
Old 04-14-2016, 10:57 AM

Great work gang! Once my wing is mended I'll be out as much as possible! Sorry I couldn't be a part of cleanup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-14-2016, 11:11 PM

Nice work! Mind if I put it in my calendar? http://albertaarchery.syntechmotorsports.ca I'll put a members only note And would you happen to have a flyer made up?
Old 04-15-2016, 07:32 AM

Shot it yesterday, great course! Lot's of interesting placement and shot angles. Lost one arrow due to an unssen branch. Ppassed on the 40+yard shots.
Old 04-15-2016, 08:13 AM

This post needs pics...lol

Neil
Old 04-15-2016, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post
This post needs pics...lol

Neil
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=285452

LC
Old 04-16-2016, 07:49 PM

Going out tomorrow to take on the 3D course again. Supposed to be a great day for it. Nice and warm! Lots of people inquiring about the setup. Very positive feedback.
Old 04-16-2016, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrow dog View Post
Going out tomorrow to take on the 3D course again. Supposed to be a great day for it. Nice and warm! Lots of people inquiring about the setup. Very positive feedback.
Might see you out there!

LC
Old 04-16-2016, 11:34 PM

The new course is amazing!
Old 04-18-2016, 08:25 AM

I signed the family up for membership.
Old 04-18-2016, 04:16 PM

Had a really good round with some fellow archery folk yesterday. Mike, the arrow dog, even got in a couple of searches and recovered the arrows. Course makes you think about different yardages. Buffalo is a really good shot. 3D shoot on May 15 for members is an ABA Hunter style shoot with shots up to 40 yds. If you haven't done 3D before, you can certainly stand where you are comfortable for the shot. Archery folk are pretty good about helping out newbies!!
Old 04-24-2016, 09:46 PM

Went out and shot a round today. Pretty cool weather but nice for shooting. Not too hot and no mosquitos(yet)! Buffalo shot is a good one. Tests your yardage estimates and shooting ability. Wolverine target won the round today though and had to send Mike, the arrow dog, to find that one! Looking forward to the shoot on May 15. Anybody else been out to check out the course?
Old 05-01-2016, 10:22 PM

My wife and I went to the range today to shoot the new 3D targets. I must say that I am very impressed with the set up. Lots of awesome shots, some more challenging than others. We had a great time. Oh, and btw, if anyone finds any of my wife's Cabela's outfitter arrows... well anyways, have fun!

While we were at the range there was a fierce battle between a Cobra and a Mamba... the Mamba proved to be the more formidable opponent and took down the Cobra with ease!

Old 05-02-2016, 06:47 AM

I knew I should have went down there last time I was home. Just shot the target butts. I had no idea there was a new 3D course. Next time maybe. This weekend I'm doing the camp hehoha shoot, and judging by the fact that I've done little to no practice, I think it's gonna be an expensive weekend in terms of arrow loss! Happy to hear that there's a new 3D course. Can't wait to use it!
Old 05-02-2016, 07:13 AM

I hope you like the cobra shot . My Dad and I set that one up. Looks like he got turned around, we had a back kill going before. Variety is good!

LC
Old 05-02-2016, 09:13 AM

I applied for a family gun range membership on January 2nd and they said the we're full up. Can you get memberships for just the archery range?

Bulldog
Old 05-02-2016, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog Edm View Post
I applied for a family gun range membership on January 2nd and they said the we're full up. Can you get memberships for just the archery range?

Bulldog
Yes you can get a general membership minus the gun ranges.

LC
Old 05-02-2016, 12:17 PM

Oh ok I assumed that the archery range was part of the gun range. I guess I should have asked.
Old 05-02-2016, 04:56 PM

I've been out twice now and can't get enough, some great placements of targets and awesome variety of ranges. One of the more real life courses I have ever shot. Hoping the targets will randomly change yardages and positions throughout the summer!
Cheers
Old 05-02-2016, 09:57 PM

Glad to hear everybody is enjoying the new 3D course. General membership sales have gone up since the new archery course has made an appearance. Yes, once the shooter stakes are up, we hope to change the shots fairly often. We still have some new targets stashed away so don't get too used to the ones that are there! The 3D shoot planned for May 15 will be of the hunting type that the Alberta Bowhunter Assoc. is using. Hunting bows and crossbows are welcome and the targets will be changed to represent actual hunting shots. Not necessarily clean shots nor standing shots. An 11 score will be a 2. A ten or eight will be 1. Or on some shots, perhaps harder or with perhaps bushes in front, you will have the choice of taking the shot and getting a 5 which will be scored as a minus 1. OR not taking the shot and scoring a zero! It's all about promoting ethical hunting.

We have also started a lost bucket for any arrows found and that will be put out when we are out there.
Old 05-02-2016, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrow dog View Post
Glad to hear everybody is enjoying the new 3D course. General membership sales have gone up since the new archery course has made an appearance. Yes, once the shooter stakes are up, we hope to change the shots fairly often. We still have some new targets stashed away so don't get too used to the ones that are there! The 3D shoot planned for May 15 will be of the hunting type that the Alberta Bowhunter Assoc. is using. Hunting bows and crossbows are welcome and the targets will be changed to represent actual hunting shots. Not necessarily clean shots nor standing shots. An 11 score will be a 2. A ten or eight will be 1. Or on some shots, perhaps harder or with perhaps bushes in front, you will have the choice of taking the shot and getting a 5 which will be scored as a minus 1. OR not taking the shot and scoring a zero! It's all about promoting ethical hunting.

We have also started a lost bucket for any arrows found and that will be put out when we are out there.
Excellent! Thanks for adopting the ABA Bowhunter Challenge format, it's a lot of fun and different than the usual.

LC
Old 05-02-2016, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog Edm View Post
Bulldog
And the good news is that when you take a General Membership one year, you are eligible for an upgrade to Range Membership in the following year... as long as spots are available.
Old 05-03-2016, 11:49 AM
Banned

Default range

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
And the good news is that when you take a General Membership one year, you are eligible for an upgrade to Range Membership in the following year... as long as spots are available.
Out of curiosity, how often has that happened? And do you bypass guys on a regular waiting list, and is it first come first served to get a range membership when buying the general membership first route? Thanks
Old 05-03-2016, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBE2 View Post
Out of curiosity, how often has that happened? And do you bypass guys on a regular waiting list, and is it first come first served to get a range membership when buying the general membership first route? Thanks
There is no waiting list as far as I know....you either make it in if spots are available or you don't.

I know that being a long time member, we are notified in October to purchase range membership for the following year....if you miss the deadline in Dec, then you loose your spot and to get back in have to follow regular "new" member process. Which I have no issue with.

LC
Old 05-03-2016, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter9841 View Post
i knew i should have went down there last time i was home. Just shot the target butts. I had no idea there was a new 3d course. Next time maybe. This weekend i'm doing the camp hehoha shoot, and judging by the fact that i've done little to no practice, i think it's gonna be an expensive weekend in terms of arrow loss! Happy to hear that there's a new 3d course. Can't wait to use it!
X2
Old 05-03-2016, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerhead View Post
my wife and i went to the range today to shoot the new 3d targets. I must say that i am very impressed with the set up. Lots of awesome shots, some more challenging than others. We had a great time. Oh, and btw, if anyone finds any of my wife's cabela's outfitter arrows... Well anyways, have fun!

While we were at the range there was a fierce battle between a cobra and a mamba... The mamba proved to be the more formidable opponent and took down the cobra with ease! :sha_shakeshout:

*like*
Old 05-03-2016, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBE2 View Post
There is no waiting list for new Range members. Past practice has been that applications for Range memberships received after midnight Dec 31 are processed in the order received until the cap is met. I believe that every request made for an upgrade from holders of 2015 General to 2016 Range were honoured. I am advised by the Membership Chair that the date of purchase for 2016 Generals is logged and will be processed in the order received for 2017 Range upgrades. Bottom line is that General member category holders in 2016 will placed at the front of the process line for new 2017 Range memberships.