Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-30-2015, 01:51 PM

Default Congrats to success (my deer / moose season is a bust - cancer update)

Hi all, as the deer and moose season winds down I just want to say congrats to all who had successful seasons . To me 'success' doesn't mean harvesting and tagging, just having a great time out there .

Since this cancer thing struck in September I was hopeful to get out regularly - in spite of the situation, but surgery and chemo has kinda kicked the stuffing out of me; not much energy. Currently I'm in the middle of cycle 2 (of 6 cycles) of chemo, so that'll go into February. All things considered, I'm doing okay.

My season, well, my wife and I did get out for a couple of nice quad rides , and I had my only opportunity for a shot cancelled after a 50 yard stalk off trail when a group of sport quadders and SXS folks roared by . My wife, wearing her orange vest, was sitting on the quad while I did the stalk, but they roared right past her . Aw well, I guess they probably didn't realize I was getting ready to take the shot.

I've enjoyed the stories and pictures, especially the ones of Dads and kids being successful together. My youngest boy and I were supposed to start his hunting adventures this season, but 'twas not to be. Next year

My wife just informed me the freezer is just about empty, so here's hoping I'm up to the late season antlerless elk, for which I still have a tag
Old 11-30-2015, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistagin View Post
My wife just informed me the freezer is just about empty, so here's hoping I'm up to the late season antlerless elk, for which I still have a tag
Here's praying that you are able to fill that last tag, then! Stay strong! We're rooting for you.
Old 11-30-2015, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistagin View Post
Hi all, as the deer and moose season winds down I just want to say congrats to all who had successful seasons . To me 'success' doesn't mean harvesting and tagging, just having a great time out there .

Since this cancer thing struck in September I was hopeful to get out regularly - in spite of the situation, but surgery and chemo has kinda kicked the stuffing out of me; not much energy. Currently I'm in the middle of cycle 2 (of 6 cycles) of chemo, so that'll go into February. All things considered, I'm doing okay.

My season, well, my wife and I did get out for a couple of nice quad rides , and I had my only opportunity for a shot cancelled after a 50 yard stalk off trail when a group of sport quadders and SXS folks roared by . My wife, wearing her orange vest, was sitting on the quad while I did the stalk, but they roared right past her . Aw well, I guess they probably didn't realize I was getting ready to take the shot.

I've enjoyed the stories and pictures, especially the ones of Dads and kids being successful together. My youngest boy and I were supposed to start his hunting adventures this season, but 'twas not to be. Next year

Keep your head up... Smile lots... And again keep your head up.. Very important when chemo starts to sap most of your energy! I still remember all to well how sick I was from my chemo treatments.. It's tough but doable!
If you need anything at all that I can help with please pm me for my numbers...edit... I can't help Ya with any meat as I'm to sick to even be getting off the couch for very long these days so there was no hunting for me this year.. But I know how to listen real well if Ya need that!
Take things easy and let your body heal well!
Zip

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 11-30-2015, 06:16 PM

Get well soon! You will be in my thoughts and prayers.
This was my first year deer hunting and I came up empty handed. Had lots of fun and learned alot. I'll be having tag soup this winter ... which I'm more than willing to share! Keep your chin up and get better soon.
Old 11-30-2015, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip View Post
Keep your head up... Smile lots... And again keep your head up.. Very important when chemo starts to sap most of your energy! I still remember all to well how sick I was from my chemo treatments.. It's tough but doable!
If you need anything at all that I can help with please pm me for my numbers...edit... I can't help Ya with any meat as I'm to sick to even be getting off the couch for very long these days so there was no hunting for me this year.. But I know how to listen real well if Ya need that!
Take things easy and let your body heal well!
Zip
Mistagin, zip is a heckuva a good guy to talk to. I did and he helped me a lot. For this I'm grateful. Thanks again. Don't be afraid to get in touch with me either.
Old 11-30-2015, 06:50 PM
Gone Hunting

Had much the same season, surgery in the end of Sept., luckily no chemo required, but it's tough when the mind says Go and the body says Whoa...everyday is better tho' so I really can't complain,
Old 11-30-2015, 06:59 PM

Congrats, on the season Mistagin, and good luck with your Elk. Hopefully you're feeling a bit better for that hunt. Also I hope you kick cancers ASS!! I hate that disease!
Old 11-30-2015, 07:03 PM

Praying for a fast recovery George and a happy Late season!
Cat
Old 11-30-2015, 07:12 PM

Default Hunting

I am a two time cancer survivor and now at the age of 75 I still hunt although somewhat limited. Anybody that tries to carry on has my total support. I just he hope you have success in the future in your hunting endeavours as I am putting on for moose he draw in the Chinchaga area and I have. 3 priority Do what you want as long as your able and good luck. Piker
Old 11-30-2015, 07:13 PM

Heres to a quick recovery!! Glad you got out atleast, i was just thinking the same thing yesterday- its just nice to get out and just enjoy yourself! I had lots of action this year, let a few nice bucks walk early in the season, then, nothing. I was getting pretty discouraged.. But was lining up to fill my Tag with a doe last night, when a respectable 4x4 Buck popped up! thankful to have some meat in the freezer!
Old 11-30-2015, 08:19 PM

All the best to you. I hope things go well.
Old 12-01-2015, 12:54 PM

Thanks guys. Appreciate the well-wishes and support
Old 12-01-2015, 01:19 PM

Default Get well !

I myself am a cancer survivor and wish you the best in a in a speedy recover . Wish you where a bit closer would have dropped off a couple of elk and deer steaks to help keep the spirits up . Best of luck on your cow elk