David
Old 08-29-2015, 12:02 AM

Nice you finally left Talbot! Lol
Old 08-29-2015, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1GERAND-MAN View Post
Nice you finally left Talbot! Lol
You stole my thunder

Here is a link to the fly pattern and where you can buy it. Another British invention. Good story on why it works and how to fish it.

http://english-fly-fishing-flies.s3-...nespecial.html
Old 08-29-2015, 09:53 AM

The fly was not weighted, It only works in this lake that I have found, I have tried it in other lakes with no success, I tried other versions yesterday but only this one works. I did pull a small hot shot around one trip on the sinking line and had 8 hits but no hook ups. How does a fish hit a small hot shot and miss the hook? They where hitting hard, even a lot that I had on for 2 or 3 seconds. Just about every one was hooked in the side of the mouth. Dave said his where hooked in the bottom lip, so they hit that fly different. I always catch more fish with it then Dave, but he just will not buy any.
Old 08-29-2015, 11:14 AM
Banned

Default Muskiki Ruined

Great to see you guys had a good day of fishing at what used to be one of my favorite lakes.

It was the best brookie lake in the country from my perspective. Best tasting, numbers, size, and catchability. Now you can catch cutthroats which taste terrible and half of them turn belly up when released.

All because some idiot biologist in Edson or Hinton decided that after over sixty years in the lake the brookies were a threat to the bull trout in the Cardinal. What crap! I still can't believe it happened.
Old 08-29-2015, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Texan View Post
Now you can catch cutthroats which taste terrible and half of them turn belly up when released.
LOL, maybe the fish have changed since you tried them or you got a bad one. Hands down the best tasting trout I've had. Even nudges out Maligne brookies for me. I would rather have a good cutty lake, which are even more rare, than another brookie fishery. Actually I'd like to see more of both. And yes, I have caught some really big brookies at that lake.
Old 08-29-2015, 12:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
LOL, maybe the fish have changed since you tried them or you got a bad one. Hands down the best tasting trout I've had. Even nudges out Maligne brookies for me. I would rather have a good cutty lake, which are even more rare, than another brookie fishery. Actually I'd like to see more of both. And yes, I have caught some really big brookies at that lake.
Then your a winner and I'm a loser - congratulations!
Old 08-29-2015, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Then your a winner and I'm a loser - congratulations!
Thanks! Go back to texas.
Old 08-29-2015, 11:34 PM

Old Guy that was camp at lake and was leaving that morning said he got 1 brookie that was 2#

The Bio's in Alberta don't want Feral fish like Brook Trout spawning in our rivers/streams

The Brook Trout that are stocked in Alberta now are Triploids which are sterile

I have to agree with keeping Alberta native

David
Old 08-30-2015, 01:32 AM

David. Not all brookies r triploids that r stocked. They r a mixed bag some lakes have them others don't. And they seem to keep changing it from year to year
I usually use a modified Mickey Finn fly on that lake. With a red front tag or orange. Yellow deer hair wing Yellow body. With gold rib. Oh ya yellow thread
Giver a try not sure if it works better then your fly
Old 08-30-2015, 10:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speckle55 View Post
Old Guy that was camp at lake and was leaving that morning said he got 1 brookie that was 2#

The Bio's in Alberta don't want Feral fish like Brook Trout spawning in our rivers/streams

The Brook Trout that are stocked in Alberta now are Triploids which are sterile

I have to agree with keeping Alberta native

David
If you want Muskiki native enjoy fishing for the dace

Sixty years and not a problem and never would be a problem, it's just the flavor of the day started several years ago by Stelfox in Calgary. Check out the relationship between bulls, browns, and brookies in Elk creek or any other where all three species are present and see what you think. I have.

It's just lucky for you cutthroats are your preferred species in this location. Use your head for a second and think what it would be like if all the water in Alberta only had it's native species in it? Would you really prefer that?
Old 08-31-2015, 11:29 AM

Quote:
If you want Muskiki native enjoy fishing for the dace

Sixty years and not a problem and never would be a problem, it's just the flavor of the day started several years ago by Stelfox in Calgary. Check out the relationship between bulls, browns, and brookies in Elk creek or any other where all three species are present and see what you think. I have.

It's just lucky for you cutthroats are your preferred species in this location. Use your head for a second and think what it would be like if all the water in Alberta only had it's native species in it? Would you really prefer that?
Elk creek is full of hybrid bull/brook crosses. So yeah, great relationship for native fish.
Old 08-31-2015, 11:45 AM

Quote:
I actually am not the biggest fan of cutties. But I also think that Alberta would have a way better fishery if there were no introduced species in our moving water bodies. As for lakes, mixing up the bag is great, I think it's awesome being able to catch European trout along with rainbows from BC. But it feels special to go to my favourite rivers that only have species that were present 200 years ago. I'm glad we're stocking lakes, I'm also glad we have a large diversity of trout in those lakes. But we should really think about keeping out waterways native.
Maligne lake is probably the only exception as there is no way trout can leave the lake. That along with the area is policed so heavily that stocking lake trout and athabows would be a great addition.
Old 08-31-2015, 05:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyTheory View Post
I actually am not the biggest fan of cutties. But I also think that Alberta would have a way better fishery if there were no introduced species in our moving water bodies. As for lakes, mixing up the bag is great, I think it's awesome being able to catch European trout along with rainbows from BC. But it feels special to go to my favourite rivers that only have species that were present 200 years ago. I'm glad we're stocking lakes, I'm also glad we have a large diversity of trout in those lakes. But we should really think about keeping out waterways native.
Maligne lake is probably the only exception as there is no way trout can leave the lake. That along with the area is policed so heavily that stocking lake trout and athabows would be a great addition.
- to each his own, I'll take trout, the more the merrier.

- I have found elk creek to be full of nothing but bulls, almost all big. Regulations completely changed the creek. bhflyfisher.- what paper are you referring to that identified the cross breeding? I have never seen such a beast.
Old 08-31-2015, 06:47 PM

Quote:
- to each his own, I'll take trout, the more the merrier.

- I have found elk creek to be full of nothing but bulls, almost all big. Regulations completely changed the creek. bhflyfisher.- what paper are you referring to that identified the cross breeding? I have never seen such a beast.
I think he heard this information from Dave Jensen. Unfortunately I don't think there are papers specifically on elk creek. Bhfisher knows just about everything on trout rivers in central-northern Alberta, although I know that isn't a solid scientific fact. Take what you can eh
Old 08-31-2015, 07:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyTheory View Post
I think he heard this information from Dave Jensen. Unfortunately I don't think there are papers specifically on elk creek. Bhfisher knows just about everything on trout rivers in central-northern Alberta, although I know that isn't a solid scientific fact. Take what you can eh
Thanks. I should correct my post about the creek being full of big bulls. Bad choice of words. I meant the only thing the creek was "full" of now is a few big bulls. As I said I have never heard of a cross being seen in the creek or have biologists who have recently worked there. From what I have seen this summer the bulls have been dining very well, no idea where all the brooks and browns went?
Old 08-31-2015, 09:14 PM

Enclosed is a hybrid I caught a couple years on Elk creek. An electro fishing survey was done in 2010 by the ACA and it was determined that about 1% of the trout population were bull/brookie hybrids. I have enclosed a link to the paper that was written on that survey. I used to fish this creek a lot. The paper is a neat read for those of you that are familiar with the creek.

http://www.ab-conservation.com/go/de...ek,%202010.pdf
Old 08-31-2015, 10:04 PM
Banned

I was aware of this study and didn't consider the few potential cross's as being significant because of number, size and as I understood it they couldn't confirm them. Variability in coloration and markings in different habitats make it hard to visually confirm exact species. Your fish seems to show a lack of vermiculation and is a reasonable size so could easily be a cross.

I would like to see the creek checked again, because from my perspective bull trout have steadily taken over at the expense of brook and brown trout. It's certainly not polluted with cross's as was suggested, I have never seen one. This is significant because at one time both brook and browns greatly outnumbered bulls.

The lack of beaver dams now and the over wintering ability plus habitat may have played a role in the change because the decline of dams was coincident with species change from what I could see or it just may have been sufficient time since the introduction of catch and release. Who knows?

In any event "feral" brook trout did not decimate the bull trout.
Old 08-31-2015, 11:17 PM

Quote:
I was aware of this study and didn't consider the few potential cross's as being significant because of number, size and as I understood it they couldn't confirm them. Variability in coloration and markings in different habitats make it hard to visually confirm exact species. Your fish seems to show a lack of vermiculation and is a reasonable size so could easily be a cross.

I would like to see the creek checked again, because from my perspective bull trout have steadily taken over at the expense of brook and brown trout. It's certainly not polluted with cross's as was suggested, I have never seen one. This is significant because at one time both brook and browns greatly outnumbered bulls.

The lack of beaver dams now and the over wintering ability plus habitat may have played a role in the change because the decline of dams was coincident with species change from what I could see or it just may have been sufficient time since the introduction of catch and release. Who knows?

In any event "feral" brook trout did not decimate the bull trout.
You want to start another thread on Elk Creek sometime...or do you want to continually trounce on others topics. Either way, I suspect that since Bulls are easier to catch, you can start to look there. Bye.
Old 09-15-2015, 11:28 AM

Default got a brookie at muskiki yesterday

-740D-40EF-AA5A-13088326BD6F.jpg[/IMG] seemed to be a lots minnows so thought i woud try a white bugger, thats when the fun began, lots of snow on the ground empty lake was nice and low winds made for a pretty sweet day
Old 09-15-2015, 11:34 AM

Default sorry heres the pic

Old 09-15-2015, 12:16 PM
Banned

Yep - seen it before many times, kind of sad for me. Natural reproductions is not that good.
Old 09-15-2015, 01:16 PM

Default oh well this is the closest destination for cuthroats for me

this is a three hour drive for me and where i caught my first cuthroat trout which was earlier this year, being a young flyfisherman i know it will always be a special place for me me to go as years go on, Brook trout for me is 20 min drive and easily accesiable so i dont think its such a bad thing to have 1 cuthroat lake just my opinion thx
Old 09-15-2015, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragless View Post
this is a three hour drive for me and where i caught my first cuthroat trout which was earlier this year, being a young flyfisherman i know it will always be a special place for me me to go as years go on, brook trout for me is 20 min drive and easily accesiable so i dont think its such a bad thing to have 1 cuthroat lake just my opinion thx
x2
Old 09-15-2015, 05:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
x2
It's not a "bad thing" to have a cutthroat lake to fish. It is bad when it's done at the expense of one of the very best brookie lakes in the country for some 60 years and for totally BS reasons other than a biologist looking for something to do. After 60 years there is not going to be genetic pollution which takes some very exacting circumstances to occur. There are also triploid trout which could have been used.This was strictly a political move. Hopefully the new government will cancel the idea of returning fisheries to their natural species. If they do this we will essentially have nothing left. You can take photos of dace or suckers for your fishing reports so don't worry. I am hopeful that fisheries management in AB will return with the recent leaving of some of the useless hacks. This does not include Carl Hunt.
Old 09-15-2015, 06:28 PM

Quote:
It's not a "bad thing" to have a cutthroat lake to fish.
Then we are in agreement!

Don`t look up in the post...you may see a picture of brook trout...
shhhhhhhh, be vewwy vewwy qwiet, bwookies are hiding
Old 09-15-2015, 09:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Then we are in agreement!

Don`t look up in the post...you may see a picture of brook trout...
shhhhhhhh, be vewwy vewwy qwiet, bwookies are hiding
Sure, put cutthroats in a suitable lake if there is no other better option but don't ruin the best brookie lake I have ever seen because of mindless politics and people like yourself who don't know any better.
Old 09-15-2015, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Sure, put cutthroats in a suitable lake if there is no other better option but don't ruin the best brookie lake I have ever seen because of mindless politics and people like yourself who don't know any better.
bro·ken rec·ord

noun

noun: broken record; plural noun: broken records; noun: stuck record; plural noun: stuck records

used, especially in similes, to refer to a person's constant and annoying repetition of a particular statement or opinion.

Used in a example sentence by Tall Texan:
"at the risk of sounding like a broken record, let me repeat: it will be difficult to catch any. Brookies are tough to find and catch"