Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-08-2014, 09:58 PM
Banned

Default Best Coyote Decoy?

I'm soon going to be hunting coyotes and I'd like to get a decoy to go with my foxpro. I'm looking at getting a "Sit’n Spin Crazy Critter Varmint Decoy" at Cabelas. The reviews are great, I was just wondering if there's something else that I should have a look at.
Old 12-08-2014, 10:04 PM

Mojo critter has worked well for me!
Old 12-08-2014, 10:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
I'm soon going to be hunting coyotes and I'd like to get a decoy to go with my foxpro. I'm looking at getting a "Sit’n Spin Crazy Critter Varmint Decoy" at Cabelas. The reviews are great, I was just wondering if there's something else that I should have a look at.
It's weird I've been having more success without decoys I've seen yotes stare at my mojo critter for a couple minutes 500 yards out but not want to come in
Old 12-08-2014, 10:36 PM

i have been using a foxpro blackjack and have yet to use it for a large amount of stands but the few that i have used it it has helped a lot. one of my first stands of the season i had a dog charge my decoy BEFORE i had even started calling! that stand i got my first tripple and 2 of those dogs charged the decoy. others seem to get within 50 feet then get wary and circle around i think this has to do with the slight sound the electric motor makes when turning the decoy.
Old 12-08-2014, 11:20 PM

Just grabbed the Edge Yote Coyote Decoy at Canadian Tire. It is a very light 3D coyote. Hoping it will add some realism to my stands as it will be the coyote the coyotes hear. Think it will be dynamite in breeding season when I use coyote challenges more.

Also use the FoxJack decoy on my Fury2. Works very well as it sure grabs the coyotes attention. Like it because it fastens to the call and runs off the calls batteries and can be controlled by the remote.
Old 12-09-2014, 12:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninAB View Post
Just grabbed the Edge Yote Coyote Decoy at Canadian Tire. It is a very light 3D coyote. Hoping it will add some realism to my stands as it will be the coyote the coyotes hear. Think it will be dynamite in breeding season when I use coyote challenges more.

Also use the FoxJack decoy on my Fury2. Works very well as it sure grabs the coyotes attention. Like it because it fastens to the call and runs off the calls batteries and can be controlled by the remote.
Maybe Ill give this a try in the really open country spots I hunt
Old 12-09-2014, 07:55 AM

Decoys work but not well enough for me to justify carrying another piece of gear.
Old 12-09-2014, 09:01 AM

Montana decoys yote has worked for me in the past, and it is very light to carry in. I also use the quivering bunny (can't remember who makes it) from time to time, but as mentioned in previous posts decoys can sometimes causes the coyotes the hang up
Old 12-09-2014, 09:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
i've called in coyotes to that before. it actually makes them stop usually 200 or so yards out to avoid a fight.

i've had better luck getting them closer with no decoy at all
Old 12-09-2014, 09:24 AM

I took an old vehicle antenna, non telescoping, brazed a 9 inch ardox nail to the bottom of it, put a rubber grommet a half inch from the top, then a large fishing swivel, and glued a goose feather to the swivel. A very small breeze will move the feather. I place this about 25-30 yds from my shooting position. I call with hand calls.
Also use montana decoy yote. and quiver critter sometimes, depends on set.
Old 12-09-2014, 10:43 AM

Similar to yours Saddleup. Cheap to make.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVxUwvLT4AY
Old 12-09-2014, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleup View Post
I took an old vehicle antenna, non telescoping, brazed a 9 inch ardox nail to the bottom of it, put a rubber grommet a half inch from the top, then a large fishing swivel, and glued a goose feather to the swivel. A very small breeze will move the feather. I place this about 25-30 yds from my shooting position. I call with hand calls.
Also use montana decoy yote. and quiver critter sometimes, depends on set.
Best suggestion in this thread. I have a similar one also. Mine has a pheasant tail feather.
Old 12-09-2014, 09:26 PM
Banned

Quote:

Is that the one for $60 thought it was a waste of money for a plastic dog
Old 12-09-2014, 09:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_e_o View Post
i've called in coyotes to that before. it actually makes them stop usually 200 or so yards out to avoid a fight.

i've had better luck getting them closer with no decoy at all
Agreed I've had better luck without decoys
Old 12-09-2014, 09:34 PM

I just bought a squawking magpie decoy....wow is that thing cool! I tried it early bow season and had a coyote run right past me at 30 yards and fully focussed on the decoy making the noise.

And it is legal because magpie sounds are all good. (Electronic Woodpecker calls are a no no)

It is prohibited to use or employ:
recorded wildlife calls or sounds, or an electronically operated calling device except; 1) when hunting migratory game birds with the use of calls or sounds that mimic snow geese, or 2) using electronic calls to hunt crows, magpies, coyote, red fox and wolf (using sounds that mimic these animals, rabbits, hares, or rodents).

LC
Old 12-09-2014, 09:51 PM

I have a mounted coyote ,,,really Bad mount and stick a safeway bag in its mouth that blows in the wind.coming in on a string...(lets get ta callin)

LIFE IS TO SHORT TO HAVE AN UGLY LOOKIN DOG .....GET A LAB
Old 12-09-2014, 09:59 PM

Smile

Why are you trying to justify your call?
Old 12-10-2014, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikka250 View Post
i have been using a foxpro blackjack and have yet to use it for a large amount of stands but the few that i have used it it has helped a lot. one of my first stands of the season i had a dog charge my decoy BEFORE i had even started calling! that stand i got my first tripple and 2 of those dogs charged the decoy. others seem to get within 50 feet then get wary and circle around i think this has to do with the slight sound the electric motor makes when turning the decoy.
I picked up a Black Jack last year to give it a try. Found the motor sound to be too loud. Currently use a "mojo critter". Seems to work well. Easy on batteries. All the yotes come in looking at the mojo and not me.
Picked up a crow decoy to use as a confidence decoy for the mojo decoy....I know...when does it stop.....how many decoys are required to kill coyotes.....did it more for skits and grins! Crow decoy was light and cheap. Be interesting to see if it helps or hinders. My lab hates it! Freaks out when he sees it in the house!
Old 12-10-2014, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerySgtJackson View Post
I picked up a Black Jack last year to give it a try. Found the motor sound to be too loud. Currently use a "mojo critter". Seems to work well. Easy on batteries. All the yotes come in looking at the mojo and not me.
Picked up a crow decoy to use as a confidence decoy for the mojo decoy....I know...when does it stop.....how many decoys are required to kill coyotes.....did it more for skits and grins! Crow decoy was light and cheap. Be interesting to see if it helps or hinders. My lab hates it! Freaks out when he sees it in the house!
Haha aparently we both think alike. i have 6 crow decoys in my garage that i picked up at a dollar store at haloween. Just waiting for the perfect stand to use them at.
Old 12-10-2014, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikka250 View Post
Haha aparently we both think alike. i have 6 crow decoys in my garage that i picked up at a dollar store at haloween. Just waiting for the perfect stand to use them at.
Lol! Tikka, when you try it out please post up a report here. Really curious to see the results. "A. J. Hare" over on the CGN/PM site says he has success using crow decoys in Ontario.
Good luck!
Old 12-10-2014, 09:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchardy1972 View Post
Best suggestion in this thread. I have a similar one also. Mine has a pheasant tail feather.
Similar again with the home brewed attractor....I have a coon tail on a long,skinny coil spring....I push the spring onto a low branch or break off small sapling near ground level,100 yards+ mono fishing line spooled on an old junk fly reel back to my hide to give it action....batteries...??...BATTERIES!!....me no need no stinkin' batteries Mang!!

FWIW,I recently read of a fella having great success on yotes with a full body mount fox for a decoy....makes perfect sense,yotes love killing foxes.

Re:crows....back east if I could get the crows to come in and hang around making a god awful racket as they do,often a yote or fox would show up soon afterwards.

Last edited by grinr; 12-10-2014 at 09:37 PM.