Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-24-2014, 11:46 AM

Default Close call...Know where you're shooting.

Experienced an unnerving situation this past weekend, one which could have ended badly.

Long story short:

While hunting a cut line, a hunter walked in where we were hunting around lunchtime. I spoke with him, advising we planned on hunting the area all day, as we had been there since before first light. He ignored our plan to hunt that area, and walked in to our spot in front of us. While walking out a few hours later, my girlfriend and I were on the receiving end of two shots fired from the road, down the cut line we were walking up, from his and his friends trucks, when we were less than 150yd from the shooter - walking towards him.

The case has been reported to the authorities, and an investigation is underway. Turns out, these guys were also caught poaching as a result of us reporting their dangerous and clearly stupid behavior. I have their descriptions, plate numbers and photos all which have been submitted to the authorities.

Please, be careful out there. The idea of a completely preventable accident which could have ended much worse, is sickening to imagine.

Know your target, know where your bullet could end up. If someone is in your spot before you, move to another spot - there's plenty of room to spread out.

Fish and Wildlife were absolutely fantastic when we dealt with them. Very helpful and quick to act even during one of their busiest times of year.

Thank you Alberta Fish & Wildlife.
Old 11-24-2014, 12:02 PM

now the kicker...they will deny it happend and F&W will request you testify. That is where most of these cases fizzle out and die on the vine.

Good on you for calling it in and following through.
Old 11-24-2014, 12:03 PM

Holy Cow! Hope they nail them. Wanted to take my two boys out for a day on the 30th, sure makes a guy have 2nd thoughts about taking kids with you! Glad you guys were all right.
Old 11-24-2014, 12:32 PM

Glad you made it out alright buddy, hope your lady isn't too shaken from the whole thing. From what you told me it sounds like these are the same guys who wrecked my hunt last weekend too, although not in the same manner as yours.

Really happy that you followed through and that F&W have been really great about the whole thing. These poachers need to lose their privileges for a very long time.
Old 11-24-2014, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Black R/T View Post
now the kicker...they will deny it happend and F&W will request you testify. That is where most of these cases fizzle out and die on the vine.

Were they in a black duelly Dodge!!

Just having fun.

That sucks, I hope those clowns get charged to the full extent.
Old 11-24-2014, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisherman Guy View Post
Experienced an unnerving situation this past weekend, one which could have ended badly.

Long story short:

While hunting a cut line, a hunter walked in where we were hunting around lunchtime. I spoke with him, advising we planned on hunting the area all day, as we had been there since before first light. He ignored our plan to hunt that area, and walked in to our spot in front of us. While walking out a few hours later, my girlfriend and I were on the receiving end of two shots fired from the road, down the cut line we were walking up, from his and his friends trucks, when we were less than 150yd from the shooter - walking towards him.

The case has been reported to the authorities, and an investigation is underway. Turns out, these guys were also caught poaching as a result of us reporting their dangerous and clearly stupid behavior. I have their descriptions, plate numbers and photos all which have been submitted to the authorities.

Please, be careful out there. The idea of a completely preventable accident which could have ended much worse, is sickening to imagine.

Know your target, know where your bullet could end up. If someone is in your spot before you, move to another spot - there's plenty of room to spread out.

Fish and Wildlife were absolutely fantastic when we dealt with them. Very helpful and quick to act even during one of their busiest times of year.

Thank you Alberta Fish & Wildlife.

You have described my biggest fear these days when im out in the woods......its always in the back of my mind. Stories like this make me want hang up my rifle and stick to waterfowl hunting.
Old 11-24-2014, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drake View Post
You have described my biggest fear these days when im out in the woods......its always in the back of my mind. Stories like this make me want hang up my rifle and stick to waterfowl hunting.
Yours and mine both Drake. What's brutal is that we spoke to these guys before it all happened, told them we were hunting there, and they insisted on hunting on top of us. That decision could have ended up with either her or I seeing one of us get shot, or killed.

Beyond coherent, completely ignorant and hopefully their punishment will change the way they hunt. One can only hope.

Quote:

I will testify if that's what it takes to save this from happening again to someone else because of these guys lack of respect.
Old 11-24-2014, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Yours and mine both Drake. What's brutal is that we spoke to these guys before it all happened, told them we were hunting there, and they insisted on hunting on top of us. That decision could have ended up with either her or I seeing one of us get shot, or killed.

Beyond coherent, completely ignorant and hopefully their punishment will change the way they hunt. One can only hope.
Did you have words after the incident? Or did they bail out?

LC
Old 11-24-2014, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Did you have words after the incident? Or did they bail out?

LC
Yes, unbelievably we kept our tempers in check. I don't want to say too much Lefty, as the case is still under investigation. I can tell you that we did not have a verbal or physical altercation with these guys, or did the event escalate any further from our speaking with them a second time after the shots.
Old 11-24-2014, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Yes, unbelievably we kept our tempers in check. I don't want to say too much Lefty, as the case is still under investigation. I can tell you that we did not have a verbal or physical altercation with these guys, or did the event escalate any further from our speaking with them a second time after the shots.
Crazy man! I am glad you guys made it out without an altercation, totally understand wanting to keep info close and on the down low.

LC
Old 11-24-2014, 01:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Hope you get them man, glad you are both OK! Kinda happy I get most of my animals with my bow!
Old 11-24-2014, 01:43 PM

It really is not bears you need to worry about as much as people!...

What do you pack for this!?
Old 11-24-2014, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekred View Post
What do you pack for this!?
Old 11-24-2014, 01:57 PM

Without the lady around a guy would be tempted to send a couple down the pipe to say hello...
Old 11-24-2014, 02:00 PM

Quote:
I will testify if that's what it takes to save this from happening again to someone else because of these guys lack of respect.
good on you!
Old 11-24-2014, 02:53 PM

Brutal.... Too many idiots out there....
Old 11-24-2014, 03:31 PM

That is just awful!! How do these guys even get their PAL?? Glad everyone's okay...was thinking about taking my son out this weekend as well...thinking twice about that now...

Bill
Old 11-24-2014, 03:54 PM

Glad to hear that you're okay. I will not come out of the bush if I see someone else around. I don't trust other people and this type of BS is why. I hope they nail these guys, what a bunch of azz hats.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 11-24-2014, 04:59 PM

You did the right thing. Good for you.
Old 11-24-2014, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drake View Post
Ive thought the same thing this year.
Old 11-24-2014, 05:07 PM

I never used to worry about being shot at and I would sit till the end of legal light then walk out. With so many guys just shooting at whatever I'm getting a little chicken about sitting till dark.
Old 11-24-2014, 05:09 PM

glad you guys are ok.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
Old 11-24-2014, 05:16 PM

great way to handle a dangerous situation and am very glad that no one got hurt
Old 11-24-2014, 05:29 PM

At the very least, it sounds like your reporting them will at least result in them being charged for poaching. Even if no more charges result, you have accomplished something.
Old 11-24-2014, 05:39 PM

Appreciate your comments guys, but the fact is - this is a wake up call for everyone. My intention is not to bash these guys but to highlight how quickly an accident can happen. When a hunter is shot by another hunter, everyone asks; How does that happen?

Buck fever and excitement can effect judgement. After a long season of "too quick for a shot" animal sightings, or not having a lot of time to hunt this season, it becomes a bit less foggy how accidental shootings occur. With the season coming to a close in most WMU's this Sunday, many are just looking to fill a tag for the freezer.

Be sure of your shot. Don't let peer pressure or the anxiety of filling a tag before the end of the season result in a poor judgement call.

You can live with an empty freezer for another 9 months, you will never forget shooting another hunter.
Old 11-24-2014, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Appreciate your comments guys, but the fact is - this is a wake up call for everyone. My intention is not to bash these guys but to highlight how quickly an accident can happen. When a hunter is shot by another hunter, everyone asks; How does that happen?

Buck fever and excitement can effect judgement. After a long season of "too quick for a shot" animal sightings, or not having a lot of time to hunt this season, it becomes a bit less foggy how accidental shootings occur. With the season coming to a close in most WMU's this Sunday, many are just looking to fill a tag for the freezer.

Be sure of your shot. Don't let peer pressure or the anxiety of filling a tag before the end of the season result in a poor judgement call.

You can live with an empty freezer for another 9 months, you will never forget shooting another hunter.
Sound advice....Sad as it is the media, tv, magazines, and even social media forums like this cause people to take shortcuts and throw sound judgement out the door trying to get noticed.

Hunting has changed and so have a lot of hunters.

LC
Old 11-24-2014, 06:06 PM

The word that comes to mind is negligent, accidents do not happen like this. I think I may have lost my **** on these *****s.
Old 11-24-2014, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montlion View Post
You did the right thing. Good for you.
x2 , glad no one was hurt TFG , hope the courts deal with them harshly .
Old 11-24-2014, 08:38 PM

Default Tough one

Quote:
good on you!
Good on you for being couragous enough to testify. Just understand that the defence will grill you on making sure you saw the guys that fired at you and that you can positively identify them... It was dark, there are lots of the same vehicles around, blah blah blah.
Old 11-24-2014, 09:42 PM

I had a very similar experience this year. I always make a habit of wearing a hunter orange cap while I'm moving down any trails. I was walking out of a lease this year and when i was aprox 120 yards from the "main" road i had a truck pull up in from of the road and out hops a guy with his gun. i was watching thinking he was maybe going to walk down the trail i just came out of but then he starts swinging his gun up towards me. I screamed "HEY! WHAT THE F***!" He turned and jumped back into the truck and his buddy drove away.

Things can happen so fast and with people getting desperate to fill tags they don't think. Glad you and your girlfriend are both ok. Thats a scary experience.