Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 09-29-2014, 09:42 AM

Default Lynx Snares

Hey guys,

In the process of prepping 100 Lynx snares using 1x19 1/16" cable. When I make the snare it is pretty droopy doesn't sit very circular. Any ideas what I need to do to prep the snare so it sits rounder?

As well, I find I actually have to push down on snare in order for the cam lock to slide down (snare seems pretty stiff). I though that you were supposed to just touch the snare and the cam would fall on it's own and snare the animal? Is the cable to stiff? Should I use 7x7 instead?

Thanks!
Old 09-29-2014, 09:52 AM
Banned

I was just researching this for my coyote snares. You should LOAD your snares to make the loop rounder and close easier. Here's a short video on how to load your snares:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBq8xH3M_aw

There are numerous videos on youtube but this is the one that immediately comes to mind.
Old 09-29-2014, 10:44 AM

That's a good video showing how to load a snare while constructing it. A snare can also be easily be loaded after construction , as "uke's" are. To load the snare, grab the lock with your left hand and about 7 inches of cable with your right hand. Run this portion of cable, in its natural wire curve, several times over a small round rod or screwdriver that has been clamped in a vise. Do not apply to much pressure on 7X7 cable or the snare will become kinked. The 1X19 cable will take a lot more pressure but you still need to be careful. Practice will teach you how much pressure is needed to provide either cable with a round loop that will close quickly when little pressure is applied to the bottom of the loop.

In the following picture of a well loaded 1X19 cable snare, the loading is to the left of the lock. Load the cable from the lock out, not the cable the lock runs over.
Old 09-29-2014, 01:01 PM

Myself I hate 1x19 wire and only use 7x7. With that said 1x19 should have a better loop than a 7x7. I do not use 1x19 as I found it too stiff and too much memory in it. Don't fight a snare with a kink in it. Find another use for it and use a fresh snare.
Old 09-29-2014, 01:29 PM

I should also clarify that that I prefer 7X7 cable for cat snares as well. I prefer the 1X19 for coyotes and wolves as it holds and maintains a much larger loop better than 7X7 cable.
Old 09-29-2014, 02:54 PM

Thanks for all the helpful info guys!

One other question. What do you use for the connection to your camlock? Do you put a 90° bend in the cable, feed it through then use a single stop or do you simply make a loop through the camlock and secure it to itself with a double ferrule? Pro's and con's of each?

Thanks.
Old 09-29-2014, 04:12 PM

I've done both and I'm not sure which is better either! Will be following. I don't like 7x7 cable! For
Me it holds a poor loop! A nice loaded 1x19 will close quickly and catch anything!

Marten 2
Lynx. 2
Weasel 3
Wolf. 3
otter 5
fisher 2
beaver 3
fox 1
Mink 1
Coyote 1
Squirrel
Old 09-29-2014, 04:16 PM

Use a double ferrule. It would be best to buy a premade snare and use it as a template. Once you make a few you will get a process going and start spitting them out. There is alot of variations out there.
Old 09-29-2014, 04:22 PM

I doubt if it makes any difference if you use a single stop or a double ferrule. I just find the double ferrule to be easier than bending the cable 90 degrees.
Old 09-29-2014, 04:23 PM

I use a break away device (BAD) it looks like an "S" the bigger part of the S goes through the cam lock then crimped to close the S then crimp the other end and feed your snare cable through. I use 265pound B.A.D. for coyotes foxes. If a deer or moose or cow gets in a snare the bad opens up and animal walks free. It has allowed some guys to snare in pasture with cows. I will post a pick after work.

I also run a kill spring and a trigger. It works for me.
And yes my snares aren't loaded yet. I am in the process of making snares before the season.

Last edited by bill9044; 09-29-2014 at 04:45 PM.
Old 10-02-2014, 11:50 AM

I find I can get the lock to sit better using a single stop and a bend.
Old 10-02-2014, 03:02 PM

Default Perfect snare loop

For a perfect Lynx snare loop every time use 7x7 aircraft with cam lock. Double wrap doubled up 16 gauge(rebar) wire through anchor eye around drag or tree.
Leave a single strand pig tail about 12" long and continue wrapping around the snare to an 8" loop. Snare is now held by wire and is perfectly adjustable ready for guide and chin sticks. Fast, easy and fool proof...almost