Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 09-26-2014, 01:18 PM

Default Bow Destruction Derby September 2014

...Reaches 1 Dozen

One of the worst years for bows being destroyed or Boo Boo-ed yet during the season!! and its only September.

It may have to do with the increase in new Bowhunters this year!!!
However half were bows from experianced bowhunters...

Score Sheet

EA- 4 Bows dryfired...

Most were done by others, trusted brother, friend, other than the owner and this is where most of the experianced bowhunters fit in...one was an unknown person picked up the unattended owners bow drew and released on purpose.

Solution/Prevention....Dont let anyone regardless of who or how experianced draw your bow...ever...If you have too let someone draw your bow... instruct proper, use release with nock arrow aimed in safe direction

EA- 4 String torqued off cams...

This one baffles me on how much one has to torque bow grip to do this...two were on draw...scary...and two were on a let down...all owners..this usually destroys the cam as in 2 of the cases...one was lucky with no damage, but advised to change strings after hunting season!

Solution/Prevention....Simple dont torque your bow...meaning use loose grip on draw, shot, follow thru and/or let down!!

EA -2 bows run over by quads

Dont know what to say!!!

Solution/Prevention....Still got nothing...lol

EA 2 strings broke at peep

We usually get a half dozen broken strings during hunting season...very surprised there is only two thus far...

Solution/Prevention....the peep seperating the string into two is the weakest part of the string...wax string often...change string after several years...have peep installed and adjusted on bow press only...installing and sliding peep up and down under full tension can damage string.

With the weekend coming still days left in September feel free to add to the list!!!!

OR.... Use fear and preventitive common sence for the rest of the bow hunting season...as well as all year round...

Point in case...two shooters bought new bows as parts were 4-6 weeks out...that works for me too!!!

lol

Just saying...be careful out there!

Neil
Old 09-26-2014, 01:26 PM

EA- 4 String torqued off cams...

This one baffles me on how much one has to torque bow grip to do this...two were on draw...scary...and two were on a let down...all owners..this usually destroys the cam as in 2 of the cases...one was lucky with no damage, but advised to change strings after hunting season!

Solution/Prevention....Simple dont torque your bow...meaning use loose grip on draw, shot, follow thru and/or let down!!

This is frequently happening when short ATA bows are finger drawn and let down. There was a good video on line demonstrating this a while back.

Pete

Found it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJoxJJjcQFU
Old 09-26-2014, 02:03 PM

Hmmm. Interesting. I'm new to bowhunting, and now I won't be finger drawing my bow again. Thanks!
Old 09-26-2014, 02:25 PM

Pete...Outstanding Video Sir...thank you..saving in da vault!!!

EVERYONE REGARDLESS OF EXPERIANCE SHOULD WATCH THIS !!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJoxJJjcQFU

Neil
Old 09-26-2014, 02:44 PM

No problem Neil.

Every shop should show it to their customers "before every sale."
Old 09-26-2014, 03:36 PM

Nothing like a broken bow first part of season!

About a week in my own bow had a limb start to splinter for no reason. Same make and model as my target bow which had a similar issue last fall so I'm thinking they had a bad run of limbs. Now I'm waiting on parts LOL.

Lucky for me I had an old Hoyt under the stairs. Dug it out, checked the specs and only had to make a minor sight adjustment. Shot a muley 2 days later.
Old 09-26-2014, 09:07 PM

Wow still waiting. ..that sucks 338...feel for ya...know what your going thru...hope you back shooting it soon...
Neil
Old 09-29-2014, 10:45 AM

I cringe when I see people drawing and empty bow with a release.... one small mechanical failure away from a dry fire.....

If I have to draw an empty bow I use my fingers but ine again has to be careful that they maintain alignment especially on bows that don't have deep string tracks or get strings from theit buddy's second cousin, who puts non-spec servings on making the string larger diameter....

there is a drawing device that hooks in d loop and it is not possible to dryfire it.... That is best case scenario.... I always try to have arrow in bow when it is drawn pinted in a safe location
Old 06-25-2015, 03:03 PM

Just a refresher for this upcoming season...we added several more bows to that list above...cases of 6-8 week deliveries on parts...kinna shoots the crap out of an 8 week hunting season...

Be-aware....tis the season

Neil