Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-24-2013, 04:40 PM

Default Brabant Lodge on Great Slave

Has anyone been there or heard anything about this lodge?

We are looking to catch some big northerns this summer and this lodge was recommended to us through a guy a work, just looking for another opinion.

Any info on Great Slave Lake in general would be appreciated as well.

Thanks
Old 04-24-2013, 04:54 PM

You can take a boat - jet is better- prop is ok, and fish right where they do .

After the ice goes out the coast guard puts in the chanel markers. About 30 km run . They are several "campsites" along the way, as well as a good one among the islands, where you can fish for grayling and pike right from your tent. Lots of 16-20 inch grayling .

Never stayed at the lodge though.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:05 PM

The fishing is obviously worth the boat ride then? You guys catch any walleye?
Old 04-24-2013, 06:12 PM

just looked at the rates to go there. WOW !!!!
Old 04-24-2013, 06:18 PM

Ya haha it's spendy that's for sure, but includes airfare from edmonton to hay river, which we would drive.

The pictures of those big pike and huge grayling are inticing.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardcorefisher View Post
The fishing is obviously worth the boat ride then? You guys catch any walleye?
For walleye we usually go downstream to the Horn river and go up the horn for a bit . There's a cabin there that we set up tents beside. Then go upstream into Great Slave stopping for large pike and sleeping there.

We fish (for pike)the warm water coming out of the channel around Big Island, there is only 3-5 feet of water. The water is warm, and you can see the pike sitting on the bottom. Myself I like to target a fish and watch them come up and take a surface lure. Best pike to date was 52 inches and we had 15 over 40 inches- in one afternoon. We didn't take weights as they we all released quickly outside the boat.

We catch connies in the moving water and grayling in the riffle areas at the lake exit. The pike we have eaten there are all white, very firm.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:53 PM

Had the pleasure of fishing Brabant with the crew from Great Northern Grains out of Nampa area. Lots of fun.

You will catch tons of good pike, but we did not hit too many over 15, many in the 10 range though. Grayling ran to 24 ", which is really huge, but most were 16 - 20 " range.

As for Walleye, they are not huge, in the 3 pd range, some 4s, no 6s. But again, it was pretty solid fishing. The lodge has huge overhead, as they all do. Getting people who can be fishing guides is getting tough as most young guys in NWT can get really good paying mine jobs, and the older guys are getting pretty long on the tooth. Add to that a short season, and you see why the price is high.

I did enjoy the lodge, and they did a good job on the food. I went down to the dock after dinner before desert, and caught 20 pike in a matter of an hour, and some really solid ones. By the time desert got there, a quarter of the guys were down on the dock with me, and we had a ball.

We never caught any Incanu, but the lodge has alot mounted, and when they run, guys do well on some really big ones out of the lodge.

Drewski
Old 04-24-2013, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
Had the pleasure of fishing Brabant with the crew from Great Northern Grains out of Nampa area. Lots of fun.

You will catch tons of good pike, but we did not hit too many over 15, many in the 10 range though. Grayling ran to 24 ", which is really huge, but most were 16 - 20 " range.

As for Walleye, they are not huge, in the 3 pd range, some 4s, no 6s. But again, it was pretty solid fishing. The lodge has huge overhead, as they all do. Getting people who can be fishing guides is getting tough as most young guys in NWT can get really good paying mine jobs, and the older guys are getting pretty long on the tooth. Add to that a short season, and you see why the price is high.

I did enjoy the lodge, and they did a good job on the food. I went down to the dock after dinner before desert, and caught 20 pike in a matter of an hour, and some really solid ones. By the time desert got there, a quarter of the guys were down on the dock with me, and we had a ball.

We never caught any Incanu, but the lodge has alot mounted, and when they run, guys do well on some really big ones out of the lodge.

Drewski

Thanks Drewski!

When did you guys go to the lodge? Late June? Catching walleye like that id assume early July?

How were the guest accommodations? Lots of staff around to help out?

I really appreciate all of the input guys!
Old 04-25-2013, 09:08 AM

Might be worth taking the river boat across 30 miles. Be a gravy run if the ocean is calm !!!!
Old 04-25-2013, 09:46 AM

I don't know if anyone realizes this , but the river is between 2 and 10 km wide where we fish. Although I have seen 3-4 foot waves, I have also seen it calm down in 10 mins. I think the flowing water has something to do with its ability to knock down the waves. At the mouth or the river there are many islands to cruise around or hide among.

During the 3rd week of June you can fish all night, it doesn't really get dark .
Old 04-25-2013, 10:14 AM

How strong is the current? Thats a big ass river. Pretty easy to get lost up there !!!!! Can you buy fuel at the lodge ?
Old 04-25-2013, 10:24 AM

I would say its a tad slower then the Peace River, Slower yet where the river is wide (Beaver Lake , Mills Lake) and quite fast by FT Providence.

I don't know if they would sell gas.

I usually bring a spare 120 liters, on top of the 350 in the tanks. I have always had lots of gas.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:32 AM

Thanks for the info 50 50. Sounds like you are dialed in pretty good up there. Ya have to pack lots of gerry cans !!!! LOL