Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-19-2013, 12:41 PM

Default Moving a scope rifle to rifle

I recently acquired a T3 Tactical in .223 but it has a god awful Millet scope on it. Being as I cannot afford another Nightforce right now I am wondering if I can swap mine between this rifle and my .308 without really losing zero (if I was to keep track of zero for both rifles)? I plan on giving it a NF NXS 3-15x56, but these things cost money

It's going from picatinny to picatinny so the rings shouldn't have to be touched.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:21 PM

You should keep things pretty close. I don't know if perfect but give it a whirl. Pretty good idea actually.

-Billy Molls
Old 03-19-2013, 01:26 PM

Not unheard of. The better the base and rings the more precise this will be. Might not be a bad idea to mark the base whwere the rings sit
Old 03-19-2013, 01:57 PM

I do this all the time it works very well. I prefer to own a few quality scopes instead of a few dozen cheap ones.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:47 PM
Gone Hunting

This is 3 shot 100 y group after remounting Conquest 3-9x40 back on Sako 85

150 TTSX vs Goat-WOW
http://youtu.be/37JwmSOQ3pY
Old 03-19-2013, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchardy1972 View Post
Not unheard of. The better the base and rings the more precise this will be. Might not be a bad idea to mark the base whwere the rings sit
Im guessing off of nightforce ultralight rings and a nightforce base and sako base I'll be pretty golden! I'll definitely give it a shot until I can afford new glass. Was thinking of putting the T3 Tac in storage until summer when I can afford to build it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrzej View Post
This is 3 shot 100 y group after remounting Conquest 3-9x40 back on Sako 85

Had it been adjusted or was everything constant? Being a little high could be annoying haha.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:51 PM

Default Scope swap

I have several Remington 700 rifles all with NF rails. I am too cheap as well to buy a second NF scope. I also have the lone NF looped through a NF Unimount. Its pretty darn close to zero when I swap but I wouldn't pull the trigger on an animal without pulling the end trigger on some paper first.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToXicXxX View Post
Im guessing off of nightforce ultralight rings and a nightforce base and sako base I'll be pretty golden! I'll definitely give it a shot until I can afford new glass. Was thinking of putting the T3 Tac in storage until summer when I can afford to build it out.

Had it been adjusted or was everything constant? Being a little high could be annoying haha.
My guess is it's supposed to be that high above point of aim. It was shot at one hundred yards so that should put him close to zero at 200 yds. Cheers
Old 03-19-2013, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoscoeP View Post
My guess is it's supposed to be that high above point of aim. It was shot at one hundred yards so that should put him close to zero at 200 yds. Cheers
Ahhh, I see what you're saying. Guess I'll scope hop until i can afford more glass!
Old 03-19-2013, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldmanfry View Post
I have several Remington 700 rifles all with NF rails. I am too cheap as well to buy a second NF scope. I also have the lone NF looped through a NF Unimount. Its pretty darn close to zero when I swap but I wouldn't pull the trigger on an animal without pulling the end trigger on some paper first.
This is the secret....the Unimount, no worry about ring alignment, just a few twists and it's off.