Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-20-2013, 03:42 AM

Default Cat Or Someone Please Help

This is my dads old 22, that Im pretty sure is older than medusa herself . But have no idea what it is ? Can Cat or someone help !

Old 02-20-2013, 04:32 AM

I'm pretty darn sure it's a cooey, I grew up on a gun just like that one, the parts look very familar, and so does the finish. Model? Im not all that certain. But cat will probably know.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:46 AM

Mine back in the day had a nail holding up the rear sight, and a bunch of electrical tape holding the stock to the barrel. She still killed allot of gophers, cans, the odd ball cap, chickens, beaver, and put a few holes in the odd fence post. Back then my accessories consisted of an old skate lace for a strap, and a Tylenol bottle for holding my bullets...... My how times have changed. I bet I put 15,000 rounds thru that thing. Dad used to run a pasture and would give me and a couple cousins or friends each a couple new boxes of wildcat 22longs, and we would shoot gophers everyday it wasn't raining. After proof reading that I just realized how hillbilly we were, not too many parents would send their 10 year old sons out for the day with all the ammo they can shoot and a 2 litre pop bottle filled with water. But then again I have never done drugs, and managed to stay out of jail. Maybe more parents should try that.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:24 AM

Cooey model 75. Great little rifle!
Old 02-20-2013, 05:33 AM

Sure looks like a 75 Cooey.

Does it have a 26" bbl?

There are no absolutes
Old 02-20-2013, 06:37 AM

75 for sure!
Cat
Old 02-20-2013, 07:37 AM

I have the same rifle sitting at home. An awful lot of kids learned to shoot and hunt with one of those.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:50 AM

By the mid-fifties, one of these Cooeys could be found in the cab of almost every farm truck parked on the main street of most prairie towns. They were sometimes refered to as "hardware guns" as they were available at every rural hardware store. Because of loose bolt/chamber tolerances, they seldom jambed because of dirt. A few years ago, I had powder blowback along the bolt when using CCI - CB (low velocity) ammo because the chambers on two of mine were so generous, the brass would not expand enough to seal the blowback.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:59 AM

i have the same one at home identical to your pic. mine is a cooey 39
Old 02-20-2013, 09:02 AM

Am not 100%, but it looks like its missing it's extractor.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnM View Post
An awful lot of kids learned to shoot and hunt with one of those.
I did. Then traded it for a pellet gun because I couldn't afford the .22 ammo.

Those were the days. 12 year old kids trading firearms. I'm not even sure my parents knew I had that gun! Think Grandma found it in her garage and gave it to me. Or maybe I just liberated it. LOL
Old 02-20-2013, 09:33 AM

I was gonna say Mossberg model 14. I had one for a little while that looked almost identical to that one. Passed down from gramps but in rough shape so I sold it to someone to fix up.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
I did. Then traded it for a pellet gun because I couldn't afford the .22 ammo.

Those were the days. 12 year old kids trading firearms. I'm not even sure my parents knew I had that gun! Think Grandma found it in her garage and gave it to me. Or maybe I just liberated it. LOL
That's pretty well how it went back then. I got mine from my grandfather and in those days I could walk 20 minutes from my parent's house and be outside the city limits. Had agreements with a few farmers nearby that I would shoot all the gophers I could and they would feed me junk food and home made baking. My parents didn't worry about me because I had a generous helping of common sense and who would mess with a kid carrying a gun?
Old 02-20-2013, 11:34 AM

Default Cooey

I have one also that I got from my father, Starting to get a little rough, had my daughter out shooting it this winter, Thinking I would like to fix it up get it back to its original charm. Not that the gun is worth anything its the history behind the gun and one that I would never ever think of getting rid of, and if it cost me more than the cost of a new fancy .22 i would spend twice that to get it restored if ti meant I could pass it down through the family for another generation !!!
Old 02-20-2013, 12:01 PM

Model 39 Model 75 forearm is longer than the 39
Old 02-20-2013, 12:36 PM

It should have a barrel stamp somewhere on it if it hasn't worn off.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by regl View Post
Model 39 Model 75 forearm is longer than the 39
+OOPS!
Yup, the action is the same, the stock is a tad different.
Boith are pretty reliable rifles though....
Cat
Old 02-20-2013, 02:21 PM

Location: 3rd rock from the sun, formerly from 4th rock from the sun
Smile

That is a nice old Cooey 39
I have a similar 22 except it's an ACE
I'd like Cooey 39 someday too
Old 02-20-2013, 03:18 PM

Thanks for the info everyone !
Next bit of a question.
The rifle does not work , when you pull the trigger it is just solid and wont pull . My cousin who is very knowledgable with rifles says to just buy a new bolt and be done with it. Any idea where to look for a new bolt , or if someone has instructions to fix this old one ?
Old 02-20-2013, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfried View Post
Next bit of a question.
The rifle does not work , when you pull the trigger it is just solid and wont pull . My cousin who is very knowledgable with rifles says to just buy a new bolt and be done with it. Any idea where to look for a new bolt , or if someone has instructions to fix this old one ?
Did you cock it fist>
Those rifles do not have an automatic cocking bolt IIRC, you have to pull the bolt back by hand to cock them.
Cat
Old 02-20-2013, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Did you cock it fist>
Those rifles do not have an automatic cocking bolt IIRC, you have to pull the bolt back by hand to cock them.
Cat
Yup.... this is likely the issue. Great little .22 for teaching kids on, a little bit added safety in the single shot.

LC
Old 02-20-2013, 03:32 PM

Location: 3rd rock from the sun, formerly from 4th rock from the sun
Smile

Quote:
did you cock it fist>
those rifles do not have an automatic cocking bolt iirc, you have to pull the bolt back by hand to cock them.
Cat
x2
Old 02-20-2013, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinJoe View Post
Mine back in the day had a nail holding up the rear sight, and a bunch of electrical tape holding the stock to the barrel. She still killed allot of gophers, cans, the odd ball cap, chickens, beaver, and put a few holes in the odd fence post. Back then my accessories consisted of an old skate lace for a strap, and a Tylenol bottle for holding my bullets...... My how times have changed. I bet I put 15,000 rounds thru that thing. Dad used to run a pasture and would give me and a couple cousins or friends each a couple new boxes of wildcat 22longs, and we would shoot gophers everyday it wasn't raining. After proof reading that I just realized how hillbilly we were, not too many parents would send their 10 year old sons out for the day with all the ammo they can shoot and a 2 litre pop bottle filled with water. But then again I have never done drugs, and managed to stay out of jail. Maybe more parents should try that.
Made me smile,,good post Joe!
OP I got a Hiawatha 22 quick take down looks just like it...chain

Last edited by chain2; 02-20-2013 at 03:57 PM. Reason: sp
Old 02-20-2013, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinJoe View Post
The whistling theme from the Andy Griffiths show was running through my head as I read this.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:31 PM

sure looks like the model that was called ace 1.I shot it yr round in my younger days don't know who made them.Shot shorts out of it was very accurate.Don't remember for sure if it could fire longs too
Old 02-20-2013, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfried View Post
Next bit of a question.
Quote:
Did you cock it fist>
Cat
Yep, manually cocking. Although, the trigger should move even if it is not cocked. If it does need parts, Western Gun Parts in Edmonton will probably have it. They even have reproduction parts for Cooeys.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:30 PM

Always worth fixing one of these gems, one of the most dependable 22s ever built. I don't think I ever cleaned mine, dropped it allot (empty). And used the front site a few times for pulling shot badgers out of their holes. I think you get the idea. Reminiscing about that old gun, I bet it's up at my dads place somewhere, maybe I should bring her home and give her a tune up and keep it for if I have my own kids one day. I can remember when I first started shooting, I used to ride with the old man everywhere, so if we went dropping salt blocks when we saw a gopher I would climb onto his lap and shoot out the window of the old truck (frowened upon now) but back then they made pretty happy memories. I can't wait till gophers come out here. Want to go shooting.

I got some nefews now, bet they would love cruising the pasture looking for gophers. That old cooey would do the trick for them too.

Them old guns have a real piece of the prairies history.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:30 AM
Banned

That would be a 39, because the forearm on the 75 has a forearm with a bit of a hump on the underside, then it tapers down at the tip of the forearm. Yes, the actions are the same, just a different stock. Either way, those little single shot Cooeys are priceless when it comes to teaching youths safe handling of their first firearm. I purchased a 75 for my grandson for $25.00. It was rusted and the stock was in poor shape. I bead blasted the metal and refinished and cut the stock down to suit his lenght of pull. Put a nice paint job on the stock and Gage is now a little marksman all due to that little Cooey. Lately, I scored a beautiful little Cooey single shot 20 gauge for him. Again, I cut the stock down and installed a grind to fit Limbsaver. Those little Cooey single shots are gems in their own right.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:43 AM

First rifle I learn't how to shoot with. I called it the bullet saver because the firing pin spring was warn out from years of service. You would pull the trigger and all you would get is clunk, cock and retry and sometimes it would work the second or third time. Finally had enough of it when I was about 10 and begged and pleaded with dad to get a new spring. He bought a new spring and I put it in and it was so powerful compared to the old one that when I dry fired it I actually dimpled the chamber so I couldn't feed a shell into it. Dad fixed it up for me and it taught me not to dry fire a rimfire firearm. Spent many more years in active service for my brothers and sisters and I still have it in my safe after teaching my kids how to shoot with it. Great little rifle.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:55 AM

I don't remember having to cock it after closing the bolt. I know the "safety" was to pull the bolt back and sort of hook it over a notch.