Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-29-2012, 02:30 PM
Banned

Default ........

Here is 16 years of overall stats on Antelope in Alberta. Because we are at the northern most range for antelope, I would expect some variances in tag numbers and this shows the extreme.

I am missing some 96, 98, 99 data for trophy antelope.

Things to note:
Archery antelope has seen a 11 times increase in applicants in 16 years
Trophy antelope has seen a 5 times increase in applicants in 15 years.

Non-residents can apply for trophy antelope but not archery antelope as far as i know (?) thanks Scott.

Archery antelope has averaged 215 tags per year over the last 16 years, and given that average, and the 6,414 people in the draw now, you will be 30 years drawing this tag given herd recoveries to the 16 yr average and no priority.

Trophy Antelope has averaged 921 tags per year over the last 15 years and given that there are 27,631 people in the draw now, it will be 30 years to draw a tag given herd recoveries to the 15 yr average and no priority.

Oufitters have had a total of 66 antelope tags/yr over the past 5 years (44 open and 22 bow allocations total)

Based on the historical low number of tags given out in the past two years I would guess that the antelope numbers are down below the 15 year average(?).

How many times do you think you will hunt antelope in this province again??
Old 12-29-2012, 03:14 PM

WOW, that is crazy, I didn't know there were that many residents applying, seeings as the outfitters had something like 30% of the tags last year I feel fairly comfortable saying if non residents want to hunt antelope they should go further south where they are everywhere. Based on those numbers on a good year after the numbers have recovered it's a 10 year wait and that's if no-one else moves to Alberta who hunts...
Old 12-29-2012, 04:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by slough shark View Post
WOW, that is crazy, I didn't know there were that many residents applying, seeings as the outfitters had something like 30% of the tags last year I feel fairly comfortable saying if non residents want to hunt antelope they should go further south where they are everywhere. Based on those numbers on a good year after the numbers have recovered it's a 10 year wait and that's if no-one else moves to Alberta who hunts...
Crazy is the norm here in Alberta now. Antelope are having another bad start to the winter this year so I wouldnt expect 2013 being much different then 2011/12. And to expect that the numbers of people applying will start to decrease. Well that would be the first year in the history of the draw where the number of applicants has decreased year over year.

I expect that graphs of antlered mule deer/moose etc have similar profiles. Maybe that is my next project.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:25 PM

Exclamation Change is needed

what I would do.....
#1 shut down all Antelope hunting until populations recover

#2 outfitters & non resident canadians,take a Ride down the "Flush zone"
Old 12-29-2012, 07:41 PM

Default Deer Hunter

Again great work, it's appreciated, and don't let any negative posts deter your work.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:44 PM
Gone Hunting

Thanks for noticing there Deerhunter, i am a nice person! Your rolling in with some amazing data, but please dont let me get in the way of you fellas and your bashing the fact that our province provides some opportunity for others like us to hunt here. If you have been following your own threads here youd have noticed the shovel ? (from said person) ive taken, over believing that its ok to provide afew opportunities to others, while i have been voicing the FACT that very poor management is what put us here. Sorry for derailing your thread, i just thought it high time to pass it back after junkie felt so compelled to sort me out over his belief deficiencies. All the best and carry on, sorry for getting in the way there.

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er

Last edited by lilsundance; 12-29-2012 at 08:18 PM.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by packhuntr View Post
Thanks for noticing there Deerhunter, i am a nice person! Your rolling in with some amazing data, but please dont let me get in the way of you fellas and your bashing the fact that our province provides some opportunity for others like us to hunt here. If you have been following your own threads here youd have noticed the shovel ? (from said person) ive taken, over believing that its ok to provide afew opportunities to others, while i have been voicing the FACT that very poor management is what put us here. Sorry for derailing your thread, i just thought it high time to pass it back after junkie felt so compelled to sort me out over his belief deficiencies. All the best and carry on, sorry for getting in the way there.
I agree that there are problems with management but the problem that no one can solve regardless of herd management is that of increasing hunter demand.

The number of hunters interested in antelope has gone up 5-10 times in the past 15 years. In 15 more years there will probably be 50,000 applicants for trophy and 20,000 for archery. No one, not esrd, not you, not i, can supply enough animals to draw in a decent period of time. The underlying problem is in the under supply of antelope and the increasing demand of hunters.

It is inevitable that some groups will eventually have their numbers decreased or eliminated. And it shouldnt be the residents.

And yes, we're all nice people

Last edited by lilsundance; 12-29-2012 at 08:21 PM.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:13 PM

Sad but true maybe the oil will dry up and the population will drop !!!!
Old 12-29-2012, 09:03 PM

I do not know the exact stats, but I would be very suprised if hunter numbers have increased that much in the past 15 years. What has likely increased significantally is the number of days and species that the average hunter now hunts. Alberta's hot economy has provided a lot of disposable income to buy the toys and "chase the dream"!

Same can be said for fishing too.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikebreath View Post
I do not know the exact stats, but I would be very suprised if hunter numbers have increased that much in the past 15 years. What has likely increased significantally is the number of days and species that the average hunter now hunts. Alberta's hot economy has provided a lot of disposable income to buy the toys and "chase the dream"!

Same can be said for fishing too.
Agreed, hunter numbers have increased slightly but then all of them must be applying for antlelope.

How many non residents are in the trophy antelope pool of 27,000??
Old 12-31-2012, 05:14 PM

Sadly, we will soon all be forced to buy expensive hunts internationally for this species (Wy, Az, Nm, Sd, Mt.).