Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-12-2012, 08:35 AM

Lightbulb Good Quality Knives

Hey team, quick question for all the seasoned veterans out there. I am going to be heading out into the field for some big game and waterfowl right quick here.

If you could only bring ONE knife to clean / help you field dress all sorts of animals which knife would it be? Two more stipulations, it has to cost around $100.00 and you must be able to purchase it in town!

If you could have TWO different knives, one for big game and one for small critters which knives would you pick? Again, same rules from above apply! Around $100.00 each in price and you must be able to purchase it in town.

If you could supply some links to the knives you suggest that would be great!

Cheers!
Old 09-12-2012, 09:02 AM

Default knives

I love my Cutco knives. In our group almost everbody has one or two, but we also all carry Buck knives. I've seen more than one moose dressed and skinned with a simple 4" locking Buck. They are well under $100 and be gotten just about anywhere. The other nice thing that happens is how we all can sit around the stove in the evening with a drink on the go and put a keen edge on the knife with a small stone. They hold a sharp edge very well.

Geo
Old 09-12-2012, 09:14 AM
Gone Hunting

With a million knives out there it is purely subjective. Everyone fits differently and hunters have different requirements.
If i were buying a hundred dollar knife today, I would expect the quality to be such that I could pass the knife on to a grandkid in 30-40 years. it's pretty hard to wear out a hunting knife through normal use. Anyone can destroy one through abuse and if that is the case, that person isn't smart enough to own one.

I like the knives of Alaska.

Here's a pair that would do the trick. I have several others, just because I really, really need more knives than I could possibly use. It has nothing to do with addictions or shining treasures.

http://www.knivesofalaska.com/item.a...e.asp%3Fc%3D26

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 09-12-2012, 09:19 AM

A buck knife will do the job for you make sure to bring a good sharpening stone also.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:19 AM

I have well over a hundred hunting knives but if i was to only use 2 for around 100 bucks it would be the outdoor edge swing blade & a mora knife.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:33 AM

Cutting Edge and Target Knives carry the Esee (formerly Rat Knives) and Ontarios. Great 1095 steel (4" blade) with black oxide coatings, micarta handles and kydex sheaths. Asking around $130 mark, these guys will barter (with your budget in mind).

I'm a lot like Redfrog in that i want quality in a knife to last enough to be able to hand it down to my kids, and from them to theirs.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:37 AM

Default cold steel

cold steel roach belly knife or canadian belt knife! both under $30 and sharp as hell!!
Old 09-12-2012, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeky View Post
Cutting Edge and Target Knives carry the Esee (formerly Rat Knives) and Ontarios. Great 1095 steel (4" blade) with black oxide coatings, micarta handles and kydex sheaths. Asking around $130 mark, these guys will barter (with your budget in mind).

I'm a lot like Redfrog in that i want quality in a knife to last enough to be able to hand it down to my kids, and from them to theirs.

On the barter point, i just this week got one of these guys to drop $69.99 on a bushcrafter i just had to have.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:40 AM

I bought the out door edge 3 pack. Sharp steel good grips. Comes with a nice leather sheath and comes with bone saw, gut hook skinner, and a small sharp knife great for cutting the back of the diaphragm out when you can't see. Don't think it was much more than a hundred bucks
Old 09-12-2012, 10:59 AM

havalon. It doesn't costs more then $45 so its against your post rules but they are damn good and sharp. Replacement blades are cheap. Surgical steel ftw
Old 09-12-2012, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackdays View Post
havalon. It doesn't costs more then $45 so its against your post rules but they are damn good and sharp. Replacement blades are cheap. Surgical steel ftw
I meant to say it must cost $100.00 or less! Thanks for the suggestion, the idea of replacement blades is nice.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:08 PM

I like the Grohmann knives. Under $100 for most and a nice sharp blade, made here in Canada too! Use the skinner or the Russell belt knife both are excellent.

I also carry a Mora that I picked up from campers village. $20.00 and it is a super handy all-purpose knife. Made in Sweden.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:28 PM
Banned

I've only bothered with a sub-par knife once, while waiting to have enough money to buy quality tools.

Sure, I'll spend on a knife what you would on a rifle but I'll also own it for 20 years.

So to answer your question, I'd probably go with a Cold Steel Recon or GI tanto. Not ideal but comfortable for me.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fowl91 View Post
I like the Grohmann knives. Under $100 for most and a nice sharp blade, made here in Canada too! Use the skinner or the Russell belt knife both are excellent.

I also carry a Mora that I picked up from campers village. $20.00 and it is a super handy all-purpose knife. Made in Sweden.
X2 on the Grohmann, Love Mine!
Old 09-12-2012, 01:08 PM

the outdoor edge swing blade is my go to knife and the price is resonable.Also gerber makes a good knife to for under 100 bucks
Old 09-12-2012, 01:18 PM

My main knife is a Gerber. It has a very hard stainless blade that takes a shaving edge and holds it a long time. I have firld-dressed 3 deer in one evening without sharpenning it. Not easy to get the edge though.

My backup knife is a Russell. Not quite as hard as the Gerber, but easier to sharpen. The high-carbon steel on the Russell works to strike a flint on nicely and is therefore also an emergency fire starter,
Old 09-12-2012, 01:31 PM
Banned

another gerber fan here. i also have buck and schrade knives as well as outdoor edge. although i like the buck and schrade stuff, the gerber gator has that rubbery handle that doesnt get slick when its covered in goo. its easy to sharpen and holds an edge well. i have donated a few to the hunting gods when i dropped them in the snow or a swamp, and at 45 bucks at walmart.....i dont have to cry about it. i havent found a job it cant do yet. oh....and that outdoor edge stuff....IT SUCKS!!!
Old 09-12-2012, 01:39 PM

Default Fixed or Folding

Hmmm I do like the look of the Grohmann knives on the WS website. Also the Gerber blades look like a good choice for the money.

What are you guys using to put a real nice edge on your blades? Just a cheap-o sharpener or have you guys spent big bucks on a nice stone?

I may just buy an entry level knife or two to see what I do and don’t like. What is the consensus on folding versus fixed knives?

Thanks for the suggestions and ideas, keep them coming!
Old 09-12-2012, 02:41 PM
Banned

I've taken a liking to convex edges which can be sharpened with a block of wood, mouse pad and wet/dry sandpaper.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:39 PM

A little over 100 dollars but I have one of these http://www.postknives.com/model305.jpg mail order though haha

As for a knife for less money, I like the buck model 119 special perhaps? Both knives are very similiar.

For a smaller carry knife though I like the http://www.postknives.com/Model120s&120SG.jpg or the smaller model of the buck 119

Those are my votes. Definitely a fixed blade...
Old 09-12-2012, 04:39 PM

Thumbs up

I have purchased several Remington brand knives in the past for wife and kids as well as the 2 knife 1 sheath pak I carry,
They were made for the brand by Western Cutlery in the US resonable price and take a good edge. My old standbye is a Solingen hunting knife I got when I was 17 many many moons ago still hones to a shaving edge.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:59 PM

Muela skinner.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:13 PM

Grohmann are the best bang for your buck for sure.
You will not be disappointed.

Simply choose the size that fits your hand and needs best.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:50 PM

absolutely NOTHING can beat an Havalon !!!!!!
Old 09-12-2012, 09:37 PM
Banned

Black Jack knives, A2 tool steel, and convex blades. The blades are hand ground so they are like a custom made blade.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nait Hadya View Post
Muela skinner.
x2
Old 09-13-2012, 03:09 AM
Banned

I could probably google it but do you have a link Kurt?
Old 09-13-2012, 04:34 AM

cutco only way to go
Old 09-13-2012, 07:24 AM

I am another Knives of Alaska fan. Have one and hope to get another soon (a smaller caper). Once you get it sharp it holds an edge a long time. I went 4 deer without sharping, just washed at end of day and lightly oiled and on to the next one!! Sharpened at end of season, oiled and put away until next year. Second choice would be Gerber. Have several, from a folding pocket knife up to good 4" blade belt knife to the EZ saw (would never buy another with the gut hook again though). All seem to be decent quality and definitely cheaper than the KoAs. Easily sharpened and hold edge fairly well.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tow Bow View Post
I could probably google it but do you have a link Kurt?
I have a couple of them, I have a model 7 with the leather handle and a model 15 pilot survival knife with the stag handle. My next will be the model 125 probably with a custom wood grain handle that they offer. They say they're the closest thing you can get to a Randall knife without the three year wait or the $800 price tag. I ordered mine online and it only took a couple weeks to get it in.

http://www.greatlakesurvival.com/Bla...Model_125.html

PS, if you want to buy one let me know because I think I found the cheapest place in north America to buy them.