Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 07:15 PM

Default Wild horses, gone forever?

Just found this and it looks like our elected officals along with pay goverment employees are out to make Alberta a better place. Looks like the removal of the wild horses.
I am not sure how others feel about the wild horses, but I really like to see they. I believe that they have every right to be left alone. If you get the chance check this out
http//northernhorse.com/wildhorses/index.php/attack-on-our-wildhorses/#comments
Old 02-08-2012, 07:17 PM

Default .

Old 02-08-2012, 07:19 PM

Definitely a passionate topic. I'm a bit on the fence on this.

leeaspell beat me to the
Old 02-08-2012, 07:19 PM

what lee said
Old 02-08-2012, 07:36 PM

I believe they are feral horses, are hey not?

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 02-08-2012, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt View Post
Just found this and it looks like our elected officals along with pay goverment employees are out to make Alberta a better place. Looks like the removal of the wild horses.
I am not sure how others feel about the wild horses, but I really like to see they. I believe that they have every right to be left alone. If you get the chance check this out
When the last "Wild Horse" went extinct in Canada is debatable science. Pretty sure it was many centuries ago.

Or did you mean the Feral Horses that poor ranchers that could not afford to feed or didn't have the courage to shoot just turned out into Albertas wilderness to compete for food with our native ungulates?
Old 02-08-2012, 07:49 PM

Quote:
good riddance.

As others have stated. There are no wild horses in Alberta, only FERAL horses.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:58 PM

Beautiful though they may be, they're no different than a wild pack of free-roaming domestic dogs so far as their impact on the natural order in our wildlands. Shall we also weep for the plight of the introduced Asian carp that are decimating the southern lakes & waterways as evil government officials conspire to eradicate them?
Old 02-08-2012, 08:01 PM

How about the wild hogs that are wrecking the countryside?

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 02-08-2012, 08:03 PM

Shoot every last one....
Old 02-08-2012, 08:10 PM

Default O.K..... I`ll bite......

I guess Bob got bored at ufa and grabbed his purse and headed to his computer and decided he is going to put a stop to this once and for all by getting the "hug and kiss crowd" all revved up with half-truths and mis-information. Yep.... just keep helping, bob... with your emotion instead of any logic.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:11 PM

And bring them to a licensed facility to process their meat to feed the homeless. If our homeless don't want it, send it to Montreal's homeless, and then deduct the monetary value from Alberta's transfer payment to them.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arn?Narn. View Post
Shoot every last one....
I say round them up and send them to Ft. Macleod. There are plenty of people that would enjoy these ponies.

Caber beat me to it.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 02-08-2012, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Shoot every last one....
And not fast enough...
Old 02-08-2012, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
And bring them to a licensed facility to process their meat to feed the homeless. If our homeless don't want it, send it to Montreal's homeless, and then deduct the monetary value from Alberta's transfer payment to them.
Thats the answer, along with ALL of the other animals/birds that are not native to Alberta, Ring Neck Pheasant, introduced from Asia-1881, Hungarian Partridge, interduced-1908. Oh and don't forget the Merriam's Turkeys. I believe the horses were here long before the above 3 were.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Thats the answer, along with ALL of the other animals/birds that are not native to Alberta, Ring Neck Pheasant, introduced from Asia-1881, Hungarian Partridge, interduced-1908. Oh and don't forget the Merriam's Turkeys. I believe the horses were here long before the above 3 were.
Well once difference I see is I can hunt them. I shoot a feral horses I lose my home and my job, to pay for a lawyer. I'm for hunting of feral horses.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:45 PM

Location: 3rd rock from the sun, formerly from 4th rock from the sun

I wonder how long it will be before this thread goes completely off the rails?

Old 02-08-2012, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Shoot every last one....
I'd be happy to do so....
Old 02-08-2012, 08:51 PM

Quote:
So if I let a bunch of domestic goats and sheep loose in our mountains to compete with our wild sheep and goats you'd be OK with that?

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 02-08-2012, 08:53 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
no doubt and the brown trout, most of the rainbow in the province, even cows cause the bison was here first.I can,t believe the out pouring of support for native species.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:55 PM

Neigh way, omgz!
Old 02-08-2012, 08:57 PM

How many members did we lose with the last "Wild Horse" thread?

IBTL
Old 02-08-2012, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunslinger257 View Post

IBTL
not enough?
Old 02-08-2012, 09:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunslinger257 View Post

IBTL
Yeah, dem feral kritters is gonna kill dis thread.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:01 PM

This is quite funny actually, you guys figure we should get rid of all the wild horses? or as you say feral horses,,let see a feral horses is something turned out by poor farmer or was lost in some way or another and left to survive on their own, horses are socialble animals, so they band together to survive. A wild horse is born in the wild, plain and simple, it has the survival instincts from birth. Have any of you got close to any wild horses in the wild in their habitat? They are definately a wild horse their structure and body make up is designed to keep alive in the wild, Feral horses do not survive well in the wild,,it takes years of breeding in the wild to produce the body structures for these animals to survive natures wrath. I used to catch wild mustangs on both sides of the ab , bc borders,, and they have been some of the toughest animals ive ever trained. This includes the suffield horses that were rounded up back in the 90's,, they were some of the heartiest animals that i have ever come across and still have a couple of brood mares that i breed for nothing but mountain horses,, they are tough , sure footed and dont play out. More heart than alot of these breeds we raise today.

But like so many other animals that people think we should wipe out. every one is entitled to there opinion, and everyone has one like everyone has a belly button. I believe that they have survived this long, with a lil management, by culling the few studs in the herds and even gelding them it slows the population of the herds but no one thinks to do that. Just take them to the slaughter plants,, what a bunch of horse crap , keep running our horse market into the dirt some more, making it harder and harder for us breeders to make a living off what we love, the training and selling of quality horses,, flood the market with some more horses that dont need to be and it drives out prices down. pretty soon it will be like the US and our horses are worth a cent a pound,, get a f%^*(*^n grip people. manage them properly then, there wouldnt be a problem,, they have been around alot longer than most of us. some of these herds have been around since the late 1800's.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:05 PM

What is the feral/wild population estimated to be at?

www.SnakesonaPlain.ca
Old 02-08-2012, 09:08 PM

Sunset, do you think that getting ride of the horses on Suffield and putting elk back on their native prairie was a bad move?

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 02-08-2012, 09:09 PM

some where in the area of 500 to 1500 head in the herds west of rocky
Old 02-08-2012, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryry4 View Post
Sunset, do you think that getting ride of the horses on Suffield and putting elk back on their native prairie was a bad move?
theres another item,, they wiped out the elk population in the suffield area too,, and they did it with the wild horses there as well,, the whole reason of the round up was because of the suffield shooting range and the grassland management,, what a crock they were there along time along with the elk and coexisted
Old 02-08-2012, 09:14 PM

Not only were there elk and wild horses, there were major herds of bison as well,, like everything else the shaggies got whiped out too.
Closed Thread