Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-03-2011, 09:40 PM

Default Manning, POACHING MF

this is ment for folk that shot the buck on my 1/4, and went out behind the bush bluff with thier truck to pick it up after the snow quit here today, GOT pics of ur truck on trail cams...... i do not call 911.......Breaking Point .. you know who you are and so do i
Old 11-03-2011, 09:43 PM

Shooting an animal on property with no permission? Nooo..... That never happens.......

Man I hate people like that
Sittin' here waitin' on a deer, drinkin' beer and wastin' bullets, Aimin' at the empties, missin' hittin' pine trees, It ain't my fault them cans keep movin', My baby's on the phone sayin' baby come home, Where you been and What you've been doin', We'll I've been, sittin' here, waitin' on a deer
Drinkin' beer and wastin' bullets
Old 11-03-2011, 09:43 PM
Banned

how do you know they are on here?
Old 11-03-2011, 09:44 PM

Default Poachers

Cant tolerate poachers who cant bother to get permission from land owners and figure the world is their oyster.
Nail em to a cross ...
Bet if they saw your trailcams they would have been gone too...
Sorry to hear of it happening

Wild Sheep Foundation of Alberta
Old 11-03-2011, 10:15 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houndogn View Post
this is ment for folk that shot the buck on my 1/4, and went out behind the bush bluff with thier truck to pick it up after the snow quit here today, GOT pics of ur truck on trail cams...... i do not call 911.......Breaking Point .. you know who you are and so do i
I hope you do something about it. Legal.

There is far too much of this going on.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldredneck View Post
Cant tolerate poachers who cant bother to get permission from land owners and figure the world is their oyster.
Nail em to a cross ...
Bet if they saw your trailcams they would have been gone too...
Sorry to hear of it happening
even though what the individual did was wrong that is'nt poaching,it's trespassing.there's a pretty solid line between a poacher and a Trespasser IMO.

Eitherway shame on the guys for pulling that bone head stunt!
Old 11-03-2011, 10:54 PM
Banned

i dont blame you for being cranky....but i do have some advice. youd best follow the legal route now that you opened yer yap on here about taking care of it yourself. or not......you wouldnt be the first guy to hang himself bragging about illegal silliness here on AO.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:07 PM

No need to call 911, but calling RAP might be a benefit to everyone to get these pos's out of the woods.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:25 PM

Were they driving a black dually?
Old 11-03-2011, 11:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by medicmoose View Post
Were they driving a black dually?
LOLOLOL.......pure gold!
Old 11-04-2011, 09:48 AM

Post your pics on here, or it didn't happen...
Old 11-04-2011, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post
even though what the individual did was wrong that is'nt poaching,it's trespassing.there's a pretty solid line between a poacher and a Trespasser IMO.

Eitherway shame on the guys for pulling that bone head stunt!
I could be wrong, but I thought if the hunting regs state that it is illegal to hunt on a property without the landowners permission, that would make it poaching as well as trespassing, no?
Old 11-04-2011, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_chicken View Post
I could be wrong, but I thought if the hunting regs state that it is illegal to hunt on a property without the landowners permission, that would make it poaching as well as trespassing, no?
Not necessarily, Who knows maybe it was shot somewhere else? A few years ago I shot a moose where I had permission, it crossed onto another guys land and dropped. I knocked at his door for 40 minutes, hearing him inside. Finally, losing light, to hell with it, I went to retrieve the moose, he then drove by me and I tried to flag him down. As I was loading him in the truck at the road F&W shows up, responding to the land owners call. After looking at the scene and determining what happened he told me I did the right thing.
Maybe thats not the case here but there are sometimes reasons to go on land without permission.
Old 11-04-2011, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanerG View Post
Not necessarily, Who knows maybe it was shot somewhere else? A few years ago I shot a moose where I had permission, it crossed onto another guys land and dropped. I knocked at his door for 40 minutes, hearing him inside. Finally, losing light, to hell with it, I went to retrieve the moose, he then drove by me and I tried to flag him down. As I was loading him in the truck at the road F&W shows up, responding to the land owners call. After looking at the scene and determining what happened he told me I did the right thing.
Maybe thats not the case here but there are sometimes reasons to go on land without permission.
I was giving the OP the benefit of the doubt. The OP states that the deer was shot on his 1/4 (could be speculation). If this was the case, without permission, wasn't the person in question poaching as well as tresspassing?

Regarding your case, I think you may have been lucky enough to get an understanding officer, from the regs book (P32):
"Although there is a moral obligation to pursue wounded game and a legal requirement to ensure game is retrieved and not wasted or abandoned, these obligations do not override the legal requirement to get permission to enter private land."

I've heard that you're supposed to call F&W if they wont let you on their property, I thought that was in the regs, but can't find it now...

Not trying to stir up anything, just curious.

Last edited by killer_chicken; 11-04-2011 at 12:06 PM.
Old 11-04-2011, 12:25 PM
grind stone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houndogn View Post
GOT pics of ur truck on trail cams...... i do not call 911.......Breaking Point .. you know who you are and so do i
You dont call 911 so whats the point of this
thread.
Old 11-04-2011, 12:29 PM
Gone Hunting

Given what's been happening in recent years, at least in this area, I don't doubt that the animal in question was indeed shot one the land in question.

I have no problem giving the benefit of doubt to well meaning folks, but this road hunting and trespassing is a very serious problem for all of us.
Not only does it rob us of opportunities at game we could have had a chance at, it also makes us all look bad.

I have put in far too much time seeking permission and setting up for a hunt then having some poacher shoot from a road at an animal on land he did not have permission on, to give such behaviour a pass.

Yeah this time there may be a reasonable explanation. But I doubt it, and that doubt is one more effect such behaviour has. Thanks to the poachers, even an innocent mistake or miscalculation can get an honest hunter in serious trouble.

It's well past time that honest hunters, landowners, and other effected parties stood together against this. If we don't drive them out of the fields and forests, they will drive us out of hunting, and make landowners and hunters enemies.
We should be allies. It is in our mutual interests. Hunters can look out for trespassers, ext. and we can reduce wildlife losses for land owners.
I'm sure we all realize how we would benefit from good relations with land owners.
Old 11-04-2011, 12:38 PM
Banned

Heres a question.. Why don't you put pad locks on your gates? I do.
Old 11-04-2011, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Heres a question.. Why don't you put pad locks on your gates? I do.
Many trespassers simply cut the wire, then you have a fence to mend as well as trespassers to hunt down.
Old 11-04-2011, 12:47 PM

Was it occupied land? That ups the stakes a bit...

Well if they are cutting fences that ups it even more and bumps it into a criminal code offence for the property damage....
Old 11-04-2011, 12:59 PM

Quote:
I was giving the OP the benefit of the doubt. The OP states that the deer was shot on his 1/4 (could be speculation). If this was the case, without permission, wasn't the person in question poaching as well as tresspassing?

Regarding your case, I think you may have been lucky enough to get an understanding officer, from the regs book (P32):
"Although there is a moral obligation to pursue wounded game and a legal requirement to ensure game is retrieved and not wasted or abandoned, these obligations do not override the legal requirement to get permission to enter private land."

I've heard that you're supposed to call F&W if they wont let you on their property, I thought that was in the regs, but can't find it now...

Not trying to stir up anything, just curious.
Yes I think you are right. But at that time of day and without a cell phone that was my only option as far as I could see it.
The point I was making is there could be many variables that we don't know and making judgement from one side of the story is perhaps premature.
Old 11-04-2011, 01:53 PM

I don't mean to be a stickler, but since it is in my nature there's really nothing I can do about it.

If they had a license and tag to hunt in that WMU then they are not poachers, only trespassers.
Old 11-04-2011, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeker73 View Post
I don't mean to be a stickler, but since it is in my nature there's really nothing I can do about it.

If they had a license and tag to hunt in that WMU then they are not poachers, only trespassers.
See, this is more what I was asking to begin with. What is the definition of a poacher? To me (and I could be mistaken), if someone is breaking a rule that is listed in the hunting regs, they are a poacher. This could be:

-Hunting at night
-Hunting without a tag
-Hunting without permission

Basically anything listed in the "it is unlawful to:" sections of the regs.

So to me, if the person shot a deer in an area they have permission, and they need to go onto land they don't have permission to retrieve the deer, that is trespassing, not poaching. If they hunt and shoot a deer on land they don't have permission, that is poaching... as well as trespassing.
Old 11-04-2011, 02:34 PM

Quote:
See, this is more what I was asking to begin with. What is the definition of a poacher? To me (and I could be mistaken), if someone is breaking a rule that is listed in the hunting regs, they are a poacher. This could be:

-Hunting at night
-Hunting without a tag

So to me, if the person shot a deer in an area they have permission, and they need to go onto land they don't have permission to retrieve the deer, that is trespassing, not poaching. If they hunt and shoot a deer on land they don't have permission, that is poaching... as well as trespassing.
this ^ ^ ^ ^
Old 11-04-2011, 03:04 PM

Quote:

-Hunting at night
-Hunting without a tag

If you get caught shooting a deer at night you will be charged with poaching.

If you get caught Shooting a deer on land which you dont have permission on,you will be charged with tresspassing only,not poaching.

Like I said earlier there is a very solid line,between poaching&trespassing.
Old 11-04-2011, 03:28 PM

Quote:
If you get caught shooting a deer at night you will be charged with poaching.

If you get caught Shooting a deer on land which you dont have permission on,you will be charged with tresspassing only,not poaching.

Like I said earlier there is a very solid line,between poaching&trespassing.
So what if the land falls under the definition of occupied land? You will get suspended for that...does that mean your a poacher?
Old 11-04-2011, 03:36 PM
Gone Hunting

No matter how you try to define what was done it is still poaching.

"Poaching is the illegal taking of wild plants or animals contrary to local and/or international conservation and wildlife management laws."

Look it up, it's in every good dictionary.

No wonder poaching has become the #1 way to take an animal, when so many people try to avoid calling poaching what it really is.

It makes me wonder, how many poachers there are on this site.
Old 11-04-2011, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harv3589 View Post
So what if the land falls under the definition of occupied land? You will get suspended for that...does that mean your a poacher?
No,thats not a POACHING violation either!
Old 11-04-2011, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoast View Post
how do you know they are on here?
X2
I think yer just whineing you realy dont know who they are , now do you ???
Old 11-04-2011, 04:03 PM

Quote:
No,thats not a POACHING violation either!
So breaking a hunting regulation to take an animal isn't poaching?
Old 11-04-2011, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harv3589 View Post
So breaking a hunting regulation to take an animal isn't poaching?
Ill tell u what,call the F&W and tell them your occupied land senerio,and then let us know what an individual will be charged with if the animal is shot during the legal season,with legal light and legal licences.

I by no means support what happened to the OP and ive had more than a few of my hunts ruined by tresspassers on private land.even though I had to be stern a couple times with the trespassers,not once did I call them poachers,because they were,nt poaching.