Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 11:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Hunter Okotoks View Post
I would like her to grab some of that salad dressing from the door to put on the sammich.
Too bad she isn't 18.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:27 PM

???? LOL!!

How would you know?
Old 02-08-2012, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Hunter Okotoks View Post
???? LOL!!

How would you know?
Dude's just gotta wreck every thread!
Old 02-08-2012, 11:28 PM
Banned

Cool

I just see a whole bunch of small minded folks if the best solution we can come up with is to send them to the slaughter house.
I for one can see a tourist market taking folks out to look at the wild west country horses.capture and sterilize the herd to control growth.wild or not the are a part of the canadian west and at no time can i not find a reference of them not existing, since before the settlement of canada by european's
Old 02-08-2012, 11:29 PM

I was wondering the same thing!
Old 02-08-2012, 11:30 PM

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, There may very well be alot of emotion and circumstance tied to this issue, whether its for or against, there may not be avid horseman or women on this forum but im pretty sure there is a large number of members here that are avid horse people, some are breeders, some are recreational riders, some are hunters and sportsman where the horses are a big part of their hunting lifestyle or some may just have lawn ornaments, either way they they put a great deal of stock in their Friends they have in the equine world. I put a lot of stock in them as ive been raising them for over 30+ years and are a big part of my livelyhood and my way of life. They pay over 50% of my bills on the ranch. It doesnt matter the breed of horses people keep or raise,, they all hold a place in their lives, just as the wild/feral horses do for some people. Eradication is not the answer for the wild horse issue, it is proper management. The SRD is grasping at straws in how they deal with them. Some ideas may be better than others, the wild/feral horse has a place in the wild like any other animal, they have coexisted together for along time as a single cog in the food chain in nature.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish gunner View Post
I just see a whole bunch of small minded folks if the best solution we can come up with is to send them to the slaughter house.
I for one can see a tourist market taking folks out to look at the wild west country horses.capture and sterilize the herd to control growth.wild or not the are a part of the canadian west and at no time can i not find a reference of them not existing, since before the settlement of canada by european's
You aren't part of the save the 'wild' rabbit campaign in Canmore as well are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky7 View Post
What are wild horses decimating, exactly?

Just following the non-native, introduced species path of reasoning. I didn't make any such claims of decimation by the feral horses; though they obviously occupy habitat and consume something as evidenced by their survival. In winter with food being more scarce this would obviously have a trickle down effect to native species. People side with them because they're impressive beasts, of that there's no doubt. To be honest, I originally thought along those lines on the subject, but I decided the more natural, true to our ecosystem path was not necessarily the warm fuzzy one.

Also note my frequent, dramatic use of hyperbole, sometimes you take me
more seriously than I intend to be taken

Don't forget the horseradish on the sammiches.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetrider2011 View Post
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, There may very well be alot of emotion and circumstance tied to this issue, whether its for or against, there may not be avid horseman or women on this forum but im pretty sure there is a large number of members here that are avid horse people, some are breeders, some are recreational riders, some are hunters and sportsman where the horses are a big part of their hunting lifestyle or some may just have lawn ornaments, either way they they put a great deal of stock in their Friends they have in the equine world. I put a lot of stock in them as ive been raising them for over 30+ years and are a big part of my livelyhood and my way of life. They pay over 50% of my bills on the ranch. It doesnt matter the breed of horses people keep or raise,, they all hold a place in their lives, just as the wild/feral horses do for some people. Eradication is not the answer for the wild horse issue, it is proper management. The SRD is grasping at straws in how they deal with them. Some ideas may be better than others, the wild/feral horse has a place in the wild like any other animal, they have coexisted together for along time as a single cog in the food chain in nature.
I realize that I'm coming across as quite the jerk in my posting so far on this thread.

That being said, I think sunsetrider and myself would enjoy having a cold beverage together some time. A lot of what you said above makes good sense. I disagree with some of it, but that doesn't mean we'd come to fisticuffs over it.

I'm now a city boy (not by choice) but my early farm life included a lot of interaction around horses. Now I'd be what you call a recreational rider, but there is a lot of history to me when I get to go for a ride.

There may be a place for some very limited feral horses allowed to roam, but the current non-management has created no end of problems. The likes of Bob Henderson et al that romanticize these feral horses do no favours.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
I realize that I'm coming across as quite the jerk in my posting so far on this thread.

That being said, I think sunsetrider and myself would enjoy having a cold beverage together some time. A lot of what you said above makes good sense. I disagree with some of it, but that doesn't mean we'd come to fisticuffs over it.

I'm now a city boy (not by choice) but my early farm life included a lot of interaction around horses. Now I'd be what you call a recreational rider, but there is a lot of history to me when I get to go for a ride.

There may be a place for some very limited feral horses allowed to roam, but the current non-management has created no end of problems. The likes of Bob Henderson et al that romanticize these feral horses do no favours.
Anytime you wanna have a beer come on down and come for a ride too, everyone makes comments with emotion attached for whatever reason, All we need to be is versed in the situation, have some facts at hand, you can agreee to disagree and go on with your day or your jug of beer with some laughter along the way. The horse issue is touchy with alot of people, that is their choice and maybe even their believe thats the part of this freedom of speach in this country no matter how biased it is.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:49 PM

People with bandwagon tendencies create way more problems than the original issue. These people are radicals, we are always going to have them in this world, there is no way of getting around it, goes the same for every other touchy issue that surfaces its ugly head.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:54 PM

Lets not rid the world of horses,for they well soon be .
Old 02-08-2012, 11:55 PM

Darnit WB Now im thinkn i need a sammich
Old 02-08-2012, 11:55 PM
Banned

Which bandwagoneers are you referring to?

Kill the horses camp or save the horses camp?

Your comment only acts to discredit those with the opposing view point as yours while lending nothing to debate at hand.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
Which bandwagoneers are you referring to?

Kill the horses camp or save the horses camp?

Your comment only acts to discredit those with the opposing view point as yours while lending nothing to debate at hand.
Both sides BeeGuy
Old 02-09-2012, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Anytime you wanna have a beer come on down and come for a ride too, everyone makes comments with emotion attached for whatever reason, All we need to be is versed in the situation, have some facts at hand, you can agreee to disagree and go on with your day or your jug of beer with some laughter along the way. The horse issue is touchy with alot of people, that is their choice and maybe even their believe thats the part of this freedom of speach in this country no matter how biased it is.

Old 02-09-2012, 12:01 AM
Banned

So what kind of personal opinion can we have without being labeled band-wagoners?

I don't have a personal attachment to these feral animals, but as a biologist I have a pretty good idea of the impact they have on their environment.

They are in need of serious management.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:02 AM

Quote:

Nice pic looks like good country to ride in too
Old 02-09-2012, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Nice pic looks like good country to ride in too
That was just East of the Waterton National Park border. We did a half day ride with a local tourist outfitter. We had a good young guy for a guide that was glad to have some sorta 'locals' around. We had a great afternoon even with a black bear wanting to rain on our little parade. I didn't have the stirrups set very well and ended up with a real bad pain in the inside of both knees.

A rancher out by Pincher Creek lets me camp on his land in hunting season. My wife and I are looking forward to a summer trip there and doing an overnight horseback trip. Beautiful country there.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:08 AM

Quote:
So what kind of personal opinion can we have without being labeled band-wagoners?

I don't have a personal attachment to these feral animals, but as a biologist I have a pretty good idea of the impact they have on their environment.

They are in need of serious management.
From what ive read the numbers arent out of control as of yet,, but proper management can be attained if done so properley and ethically, everyone is entiteled to their opionon, its how you voice it, wether controled or not. it can be such a fine line, but not everyone will cross it and keep their opinons to a dull roar.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:12 AM

Quote:
That was just East of the Waterton National Park border. We did a half day ride with a local tourist outfitter. We had a good young guy for a guide that was glad to have some sorta 'locals' around. We had a great afternoon even with a black bear wanting to rain on our little parade. I didn't have the stirrups set very well and ended up with a real bad pain in the inside of both knees.

A rancher out by Pincher Creek lets me camp on his land in hunting season. My wife and I are looking forward to a summer trip there and doing an overnight horseback trip. Beautiful country there.
that is beautiful country down there for sure, ive road that whole area all the way to to Pouce Coupe to the far north on a 42 day pack trip, there is nothing better than spending the times on the trail enjoying what nature has to offer, If you ever get a chance to ride the telegraph trail in BC all the way to the Yukon do so its a lifes experience and more memories that you can stuff into your mind to recall later on.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:15 AM

Well All, the Feedlot calls my name in 6 hrs. so have a wonderful night. I appologize if my comments ruffled any feathers. In time you will know how to take me.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:18 AM
Banned

It's interesting that some of the wild horse conservation groups are claiming there is only 200-300 animals out there. If that is the case, I may have seen all of them.

Do wild horses have the same diet as deer/elk/sheep/moose?

Is there direct competition for food?
Old 02-09-2012, 12:19 AM
Banned

ciao sunset
Old 02-09-2012, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_dave View Post
Don't forget the horseradish on the sammiches.
I ordered the sammich with homemade Feral Horseradish.

This invasive but tasty plant is taking over many natural areas of Urban Calgary, diplacing the native species. Nothing wrong with culling the horseradish. I'll be doing another hunt after the spring thaw.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
I ordered the sammich with homemade Feral Horseradish.

This invasive but tasty plant is taking over many natural areas of Urban Calgary, diplacing the native species. Nothing wrong with culling the horseradish. I'll be doing another hunt after the spring thaw.
Really? I love horseradish. What is the plant called?? or are you joking?

I've eaten horse before and drank several products made from mares milk. Cheese, yoghurt, and an alcoholic beverage.

It was delicious and I'd do it again.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Really? I love horseradish. What is the plant called?? or are you joking?

I've eaten horse before and drank several products made from mares milk. Cheese, yoghurt, and an alcoholic beverage.

It was delicious and I'd do it again.
This is real Feral Horseradish (Armoracia rusticana). It is out of control in several areas of Calgary.

I usually pick it in the fall, but will try harvesting some this spring, roots and young leaves. There is lots to share, come on out and help control this noxious feral species.

Horseradish coated Horse roast.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:15 AM
Banned

Shoot me a PM when youre going. I'd be interested to hunt some down.

Should go well with a equine prime rib roast.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:58 AM

Well I ranch alongside the suffield Block,The horses didn't do as much damage as they say. I could write a whole book on this issue but I must say that the Wild horses never did any damage to our bale stacks..the re-intraduced Elk population is costing we the area Ranchers time and money..I think with the kind of numbers they have out there that they should open a season on base. I was drawn for cow this season and caught the enviromentalists chasing elk heards back on to base during the hunting season as did others in the area...Now with the season over I haven't seen an enviromentalist since...how bout they hang around my stacks and chase them back everyday...nuff said
Closed Thread