Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-27-2011, 08:51 AM
Banned

Default ..........

Who has hunted for grizzly in BC and who would you recomend I talk to about a spring grizzly hunt? Bigger the better!

Thanks!
Old 01-27-2011, 09:13 AM

Pretty hard to beat Aaron Fredlund in my opinion. Good friend of mine and well worth talking to for a BC mountain grizz.

www.huntfgs.com
Old 01-27-2011, 10:50 AM

I know Kawdy still has an opening for this fall, if that interests you. Give Stan a call.

http://www.lancasterfamilyhunting.com/

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 01-27-2011, 03:16 PM

Any thought towards the Yukon?
Old 01-28-2011, 08:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duk Dog View Post
Any thought towards the Yukon?
Sure, got any ideas?
Old 01-28-2011, 08:31 AM
Banned

I looked into this last year for a hunter I guided and all reports I got from other sites said to get the biggest bears go to the costal area of BC for a fall hunt.
SG
Old 01-28-2011, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepguide View Post
I looked into this last year for a hunter I guided and all reports I got from other sites said to get the biggest bears go to the costal area of BC for a fall hunt.
SG
True they're bigger but they're wusses compared to the meat eating interior Grizz.......they got it too easy eating fish

tm
Old 01-28-2011, 08:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra Monkey View Post
True they're bigger but they're wusses compared to the meat eating interior Grizz.......they got it too easy eating fish

tm
LOL that is true, them interior bears do seem to have little bear syndrome!
SG
Old 01-28-2011, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepguide View Post
LOL that is true, them interior bears do seem to have little bear syndrome!
SG
Touche' Sir.......good one

tm

(I miss the little laughing emoticon )
Old 01-28-2011, 09:17 AM

Old 01-28-2011, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
Who has hunted for grizzly in BC and who would you recomend I talk to about a spring grizzly hunt? Bigger the better!

Thanks!
If you're a "size queen", then your best bet is the coast (or interior salmon bearing area), but if a beautiful bear is what your after; colour, no rubs, etc... then the Rockies, north or south is where I'd head. I've hunted both interior and coastal bears and either hunt will be exciting. Regardless of size, if you hold out for age, those are the bears you'll want. That could be a 15 year old 9 footer on the Coast, or a 20 year old sub 7 footer in the Interior.

Interesting that posts are referring to the coastal bears a wusses. Not my experience at all! We hunted the coast last Spring, taking a 9 footer, a B&C bear, rubbed hair to boot. Not the "prettiest" bear, but a lot of character. We spotted him down river at 400 yards, he knew something was up at 250 or so and disappeared into the alders. We stayed put as we knew he hadn't smelled us. Our encounters with bears earlier in the hunt convinced us that he'd want a closer look at us. A 54 yards, he, very loudly, appeared from the alders. Close encounters with these bears can be very exciting!

http://www.ferniergc.com/
Old 01-28-2011, 11:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Dshooter View Post
We spotted him down river at 400 yards, he knew something was up at 250 or so and disappeared into the alders. We stayed put as we knew he hadn't smelled us. Our encounters with bears earlier in the hunt convinced us that he'd want a closer look at us. A 54 yards, he, very loudly, appeared from the alders. Close encounters with these bears can be very exciting!
Great story! Have any pics of your kills?
Old 01-28-2011, 12:16 PM

Monashee outfitters in B.C kills some big bears every year and have a very high sucess rate!
Old 01-28-2011, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Interesting that posts are referring to the coastal bears a wusses. Not my experience at all!

errrr....It was sort of a joke ....and it was post...not posts

I found the icon Jamie
I probably shouldn't post after being up for 20 hrs

On another side note.....If think if you look at all the grizz you will find that as they move further inland they have to "hunt" harder for their food and in most biologists view are more aggressive. I've spoken at length to a few of the biologists up here and they maintain that the most aggressive is the Central Barrenground Grizz as a larger percentage of its food intake is from "hunted" meat. That Treadwell dude lived with those bears for a LONG time. He wouldn't last five minutes doing that crap with a Barrenground Grizz IMO.

tm
Old 01-28-2011, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Great story! Have any pics of your kills?
Ya, here's a few...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf A few grizzlies!...from BC.pdf (194.2 KB, 217 views)

Old 01-28-2011, 05:29 PM

Beauty bears 3D....11yrs old.....that's awesome. Nuthin' like settin' the bar high

tm
Old 01-28-2011, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra Monkey View Post
Beauty bears 3D....11yrs old.....that's awesome. Nuthin' like settin' the bar high

tm
Ya, he's a lucky kid. At 18, he's already had a hunting "career" that most would envy.

Tundra, I'd have to agree with most of what you've said regarding bears that have to work for their food being the most aggressive toward people. I would add that bears are conditioned by people to avoid us or sadly, to "target" us because we (ie, garbage, camp sites, dog food, etc...) are an easy source of food. This can add to aggression.

I used to work in the NWT at Great Bear Lake and know the grizzlies you speak of. I would say, the bears that most resemble the tundra bears are in fact the BC Coastal bears that I've hunted. In both cases, these bears inhabit remote areas with little contact with people. I've also fished salmon rivers in Alaska, namely the Kenai, where you fish, surrounded by people and within 100 feet of grizzlies.

Grizzlies are intelligent animals, they are curious, adaptable, they're big and they are dangerous. It's a privilege to be among them and are the top of my list of big game animals.

Old 01-28-2011, 07:26 PM
Banned

Thanks for the pics. Awesome!
Old 01-28-2011, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Ya, he's a lucky kid. At 18, he's already had a hunting "career" that most would envy.

I used to work in the NWT at Great Bear Lake and know the grizzlies you speak of. I would say, the bears that most resemble the tundra bears are in fact the BC Coastal bears that I've hunted. In both cases, these bears inhabit remote areas with little contact with people. I've also fished salmon rivers in Alaska, namely the Kenai, where you fish, surrounded by people and within 100 feet of grizzlies.

You can colour be one of those envious fellas

Great Bear eh....lucky feller to say the least. Best trout fishing in the world would not be a stretch!!!!!

Our bears are pretty small compared to those coastal bear though....but yup, they are the boss.....or so they think!!

We had a guy kill one that squarred 8'3". Not sure of the skull measurement but I believe it went #3 all-time and #1P&Y. Not many runnin' around the barrens that size!!!! Mike Deschampe or something like that was the hunter.

tm
Old 01-31-2011, 10:44 PM

Quote:

Thanks!
Derek Drinnan with misty mountain outfitters, Hes got some of the biggest grizz ive seen, hes a small outfit that only takes the biggeest bears, salmon run through his area i hes one of the best pilots in the game with the most hours.
I killed my stone sheep with him and hes top notch for sure.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Sure, got any ideas?
You might contact the BC and Yukon outfitter associations to see if they can provide you with a bit of history of the past grizzly award winners. You may (or may not) find a trend in a consistent producer of top bears.

Last edited by Duk Dog; 02-01-2011 at 08:35 PM.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger View Post
Derek Drinnan with misty mountain outfitters, Hes got some of the biggest grizz ive seen, hes a small outfit that only takes the biggeest bears, salmon run through his area i hes one of the best pilots in the game with the most hours.
I killed my stone sheep with him and hes top notch for sure.
x2. Some great bears in Dereks area for sure. The last one we took from there was in 09 . . . an 8' 3" mountain grizz with a beautiful hide for an old boar. My other favourite area is Bob Milligan's area (Coast Mountain Outfitters) which is the largest area with the largest quota in BC. Hides may not be quite as prime but the bears are big. I harvested an 18 1/2 year old boar from there back in 2001. It went 8'3" with a 24 1/16 skull.

I prefer Dereks area for spring grizz hunting and Bob's for the fall hunt.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:23 AM
sheephunter

The guys a Trophy West Guide Outfitters continue to produce some of BC's biggest bears. Hard to beat Knight's Inlet for big grizz.