Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-19-2010, 11:06 PM

Default Barrier lake?

has anyone fished barrier lake? (first lake down highway 40) ive driven by it quite abit but never dropped a line. is there anything in there? if so what would a guy catch? and any other useful info would be cool too. later. trey.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:50 AM

fished it once from a boat - caught a few brownies, 14"-16". For the life of me I can't remember what we caught it on. Considering when it was, I'd have to guess it was a brown or black marabou jig slow trolled or wind drifted. There are a few in there, and it's definately hard to pass without considering it.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:40 AM

I fish Barrier lake a few times a year we normally troll real slow using a willow leaf with a wedding band. Put on a chunck of power pretty much any color will do sometimes worms also work well.

We usually catch a few every time we go mostly browns & rainbows our biggest last year was a 17" brown.

Gillfisher
Old 05-20-2010, 12:17 PM

I was out at Barrier last weekend. The water level is REALLY low right now. But then again, every spring it is, it's a res. right. Last year tho when me and my buddy fished it, I fly fished from shore on the south side middle point, and had some great results. After a good rain there were so many dead bugs on the lake, I just threw anything and everything and it seemed to work.
Here's some pics from last weekend.

Old 05-20-2010, 01:25 PM

Smile

WOW your not kidding it's low.

That's the biggest problem with the reservoir lakes. They fluctuate so much that they never have time to get a good weed growth near shore. Which is critical for sustaining bug life. Of course good bug habitat goes hand in hand with maintaining a good fishery. Having a good fishery isn't at all what these lakes are for. They are first and formost built for the power companies. They could care less about the fishery.

Having said that. I have fished it a few times. Never caught too much to speak of though. There are a lot of more productive places to fish.

Rob
Old 05-20-2010, 02:10 PM

Exactly eh, stupid resevoirs. And whenever the water receeds, so do the fish, and they'll hunker in the middle of the lake until the water starts to rise again. I'll probably be out that way this weekend again, if anyone has a lake they want me to check?
Old 05-20-2010, 02:14 PM

I was there last weekend as well, I didnt catch anything but my dad caught a little raindow and my wife lost 3. This was all from shore.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:19 PM

thaks for the shots they are pretty nice. and i was out there a week ago too i drove all the way to interlakes and back to show the girls some stuff. with a stop at wedge pond and there were tons of fish rising in the shallows but they wouldent take anything i had in my box. and it was frusturating cause i could see them. they were only eating flies. this little trip of mine brought up the barrier lake question.

i never knew the fish would hunker down in the deep stuff till the water went back up again though. and im big into boats (i grew up on the west coast) but i dont own one so its hard for me to troll out there
Old 05-20-2010, 10:23 PM

fished barrier lake a few times, caught rainbows, browns and rockies, mostly on rapalas.