Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-05-2010, 12:19 PM

Default 30.06 brass?

How many reloads are you guys getting from your 30.06 cases? I'm pitching 100 remington cases after only 4 times. Maybe i'm paranoid but they look like there getting a ring near head on the inside and i can see a ring from the primer from inside. Anyhow, just wondering what anyone else is getting at around mid to max loads with there brass. All that i can find around g.p. is remington and wincherster. Thanks jay.
Old 04-05-2010, 12:35 PM

if the heads are starting to seperate you need to adjust your full length die so you are not pushing the shoulder back as far. i am hard on my brass and the heads never seperate, it is always the primer pockets that get loose. you can use a sharpened paperclip with the tip bent at 90 degrees to "feel" for a ring on the inside of the case near the head
Old 04-05-2010, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo1010 View Post
if the heads are starting to seperate you need to adjust your full length die so you are not pushing the shoulder back as far. i am hard on my brass and the heads never seperate, it is always the primer pockets that get loose. you can use a sharpened paperclip with the tip bent at 90 degrees to "feel" for a ring on the inside of the case near the head
Ya i tryed the paperclip thing and couldn't feel the ring, But with a pen light i can see a ring inside the case. And i can see a ring from the primer. Is it normal to see or am i just paraniod? lol
Old 04-05-2010, 12:51 PM

i am not sure what ring from the primer you are refering to? i adjust my fl dies so that they are are just contacting the shoulder, it is a trial and error process until the are set up. the more you push the shoulder back the more it will stretch on the next firing, resulting in seperation sooner. so far as being paranoid, that is better than sitting on a cutline with the back half of the case in your hand and the front half still in the chamber!!
Old 04-05-2010, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo1010 View Post
i am not sure what ring from the primer you are refering to? i adjust my fl dies so that they are are just contacting the shoulder, it is a trial and error process until the are set up. the more you push the shoulder back the more it will stretch on the next firing, resulting in seperation sooner. so far as being paranoid, that is better than sitting on a cutline with the back half of the case in your hand and the front half still in the chamber!!
Ya thats how i'm looking at it. My FL sizing die is set up to barely touch the shoulder like you say. Maybe i was hard on the brass testing loads, didn't see any major pressure signs but that don't mean it wasn't close i guess.