Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-16-2024, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBintheNorth View Post
So I'll ask again, how will the extra funds directly benefit our wildlife or wildlife department?
About as much as it’s going to change your life.

-Billy Molls
Old 05-16-2024, 04:51 PM

Still non residents competing in the same draw pool as residents. Why the heck there is not a major push to sort this out baffles me. Didn’t see any changes to residency requirements either another why is this still going on

Not concerned about cost increases if it is going towards wildlife. Hunting organizations should be asking where the money is going and push for game enhancement to justify the increased costs

Nothing wrong with hunters investing more into the system but steps to improve things are needed to justify it
Old 05-16-2024, 05:07 PM

Stupid question time:

I've been building Ant.Mule Deer priority for years and pretty sure I'm ready to get the draw if I applied.

How does this lottery Minister's draw affect that?

It's like a crap shoot isn't it?

So trying to win one of those tags doesn't affect my Ant.Mule Deer draw status,eh?
"Placed correctly Swift A-Frames will reliably kill big bears. So will North Forks, Nosler Partitions, Barnes TSX, Kodiaks, Woodleighs, GS soft points, Hornady Interbonds and Speer Grand Slams - and if I missed your favorite bullet -it probably will too.
It's time to go hunting and quit all this ballistic masturbation."

Phil Shoemaker
Old 05-16-2024, 05:10 PM

Quote:
So I'll ask again, how will the extra funds directly benefit our wildlife or wildlife department?
Start pushing for improvements to game management and wildlife enhancement to justify the increased costs that is the answer not complaining about increased fees

If the government wants more money push for more money to be put into the resource we are getting charged to enjoy
Old 05-16-2024, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonical View Post
Stupid question time:

I've been building Ant.Mule Deer priority for years and pretty sure I'm ready to get the draw if I applied.

How does this lottery Minister's draw affect that?

It's like a crap shoot isn't it?

So trying to win one of those tags doesn't affect my Ant.Mule Deer draw status,eh?
No effect on your priority
Old 05-16-2024, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Going into general revenue!
Another question is Minister Todd Lowen who owns Red Willow Outfitters LTD. cutting back outfitter allocations?
Old 05-16-2024, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn View Post
It is mandatory after you draw the tag, they send you a email and you must meet with fish and wildlife where they go through proper identification and then you write a test. At least it was in 2013 when I drew the tag
Pretty sure it's been like that right from the start
Old 05-16-2024, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
Going into general revenue!
Another question is Minister Todd Lowen who owns Red Willow Outfitters LTD. cutting back outfitter allocations?
The regs booklet has a diagram that shows how the funds are directed. If I recall correctly, most goes to the ACA.
Old 05-16-2024, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonedogg View Post
agreed 100%, marginal increase
My point is less about the actual dollar value, but how this decision aligns with government platform and the process for coming to an amount. In principle, a 3x increase in a licence fee seems arbitrary and big enough to have some rationale behind it, other than it was too low. What is a fee increase intended to achieve? Might there be a similar move to similarly increase fishing some fishing licence fees?
Old 05-16-2024, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
If you charge people for every tag they draw, before they can enter any draws again, it would deter POOR people from applying for every tag.
There fixed it for you.
Old 05-16-2024, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious View Post
There fixed it for you.
Buy a tag and go hunting. I’ve been hunting all spring on a $25 tag. I’m hardly seeing anyone else doing it. But it is work. You will have to get out and walk a bit.

-Billy Molls
Old 05-16-2024, 09:05 PM

The only tag increase that really blows my mind is Non trophy Antelope...$30 to now $90

At that price wait times might be going down
Old 05-16-2024, 09:35 PM

I dont see moose draws up north around GP in the booklet, im assuming they are going to a straight general season for rifle too.
Old 05-18-2024, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
I dont see moose draws up north around GP in the booklet, im assuming they are going to a straight general season for rifle too.
Looks to me like no change, still split season draws listed in the draw booklet.

Craig
Old 05-18-2024, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
Lol, no they aren’t having a general moose season

Keep reading… the split season draws are listed.

LC
Old 05-18-2024, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post
The only tag increase that really blows my mind is Non trophy Antelope...$30 to now $90

At that price wait times might be going down
How about wild turkey jumping to $60. I know...marginal increase, but can those implementing the increase provide some rationale? Like where the excess will end up and how it will be utilized? I don't think it's fair to just say it was too low to start with.
Old 05-19-2024, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wind drift View Post
So much for making life more affordable for Albertans. I wonder what the compelling reason for the big fee hikes is…
Well they have to pay for the wildlife service some how and now that there is hundreds of folks that no longer need to buy tags, how do they make up the short fall? Raise the price of the tags of course for the average Joe!
Just wait its only going to get worse, the way we know as hunting will be gone in 10 years or less.

some day I'll shoot a deer bigger than my son's.
Old 05-19-2024, 11:30 AM

Quote:
That's because you have this strange belief that charging more will reduce YOUR wait times on draws.

The unfortunate reality is that draw wait times will not change, the extra funds will go into General Revenue as always, the state of our fish and wildlife will remain abysmal, and we'll have less money in our pocket.
I agree 100%

some day I'll shoot a deer bigger than my son's.
Old 05-19-2024, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious View Post
There fixed it for you.
Being forced to buy the tags you draw won't deter the people that are serious, and that have looked into what the hunt involves. It will however deter the people that just apply for every tag they can, with no clue, as to what the hunt involves. Those are the people that draw tags, then look into the travel and expense, and hunt conditions, and then don't purchase the tag.
Old 05-19-2024, 12:19 PM

Again. You have opportunity. Inexpensive opportunity. Are you taking advantage of it?

-Billy Molls
Old 05-19-2024, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntin'fool View Post
How about wild turkey jumping to $60. I know...marginal increase, but can those implementing the increase provide some rationale? Like where the excess will end up and how it will be utilized? I don't think it's fair to just say it was too low to start with.
The turkey tag is a perfect illustration of this issue. That tag should be $500. I for one would bow out at that price. I’m not that enthralled by it. I wouldn’t be the only one. You don’t think that will reduce wait times for someone serious about it?

-Billy Molls
Old 05-19-2024, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder76 View Post
The turkey tag is a perfect illustration of this issue. That tag should be $500. I for one would bow out at that price. I’m not that enthralled by it. I wouldn’t be the only one. You don’t think that will reduce wait times for someone serious about it?
If you’re going that far why not make all tags (general or draw) $500. May as well make hunting for the rich and elite. I could just imagine the bitching and whining that would go on if the draws were like the old days where it was a random draw and no priority.
Old 05-19-2024, 01:13 PM

Quote:
If you’re going that far why not make all tags (general or draw) $500. May as well make hunting for the rich and elite. I could just imagine the bitching and whining that would go on if the draws were like the old days where it was a random draw and no priority.
See, the sky is now falling. Let’s do a little math shall we. Let’s say that making this tag reduces wait times by half. Optimistic I know, but let’s say that it does. 8X12 is 96. That is 96 months to put a $5 bill in your piggy bank to draw that tag. And you may actually draw the tag. Your kids might actually draw the tag.

Now apply that to antelope, moose (in certain zones), elk (in certain zone), and mule deer the same. For $100 a year you could likely double your trophy hunting opportunity. You could even reduce the price for general tags. Make them $5 if it makes you feel better.

Another happy plus to all this is potentially better trophy quality. For $500 I’m a lot more serious about what I harvest. It might actually fix the horrible job this Province does in managing trophy potential.

Now my question to you. What did you spend on fuel in 2023 scouting and hunting sheep?

-Billy Molls
Old 05-19-2024, 01:16 PM

Quote:
How myopic to conflate money, seriousness and hunting....

It's easy to obtain results by being prejudicial.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 05-19-2024, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
How myopic to conflate money, seriousness and hunting....

It's easy to obtain results by being prejudicial.
I’m myopic? I’m results driven, not feelings driven. Look at the math example above for tips and tricks to afford such lavishness. Look past today and plan for the future. Myopic indeed.

Google “Stanford Marshmallow Experiment” to help understand lengthened vision.

-Billy Molls
Old 05-19-2024, 01:31 PM

Quote:
I’m myopic? I’m results driven, not feelings driven. Look at the math example above for tips and tricks to afford such lavishness. Look past today and plan for the future. Myopic indeed.

Google “Stanford Marshmallow Experiment” to help understand lengthened vision.
Yes, you are quite shortsighted on this matter.
I guess that may explain why you keep missing the ball.

Sure, you would achieve your desired results,
at the cost to others that don't reflect the image you desire to see.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 05-19-2024, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
Yes, you are quite shortsighted on this matter.
I guess that may explain why you keep missing the ball.

Sure, you would achieve your desired results,
at the cost to others that don't reflect the image you desire to see.
Glad to see you admit it would work. All for $5 a month.

-Billy Molls
Old 05-19-2024, 01:36 PM

Quote:
See, the sky is now falling. Let’s do a little math shall we. Let’s say that making this tag reduces wait times by half. Optimistic I know, but let’s say that it does. 8X12 is 96. That is 96 months to put a $5 bill in your piggy bank to draw that tag. And you may actually draw the tag. Your kids might actually draw the tag.

Now apply that to antelope, moose (in certain zones), elk (in certain zone), and mule deer the same. For $100 a year you could likely double your trophy hunting opportunity. You could even reduce the price for general tags. Make them $5 if it makes you feel better.

Another happy plus to all this is potentially better trophy quality. For $500 I’m a lot more serious about what I harvest. It might actually fix the horrible job this Province does in managing trophy potential.

Now my question to you. What did you spend on fuel in 2023 scouting and hunting sheep?
Sky is not falling at all! Just saying may as well make all tags $500 it would control the horrible job the province is doing at managing trophy potential. This would possibly make people pick one tag to buy or apply for.

Maybe they should make it where you can only apply for 2 draws and get rid of the build priority code. That may cut wait times.
Old 05-19-2024, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Sky is not falling at all! Just saying may as well make all tags $500 it would control the horrible job the province is doing at managing trophy potential. This would possibly make people pick one tag to buy or apply for.

Maybe they should make it where you can only apply for 2 draws and get rid of the build priority code. That may cut wait times.
Why would you make all tags $500? Maybe we should price all houses at two million dollars?

-Billy Molls
Old 05-19-2024, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Why would you make all tags $500? Maybe we should price all houses at two million dollars?
May as well make it a straight fee across the board.

Here’s another way of making wait times less. Why doesn’t the government make 2 draws. One is the priority system and one is random draw system. When you go to put your draws in you pick which one you want to put in for. In the priority system there would be no build priority code either. Now people would have a choice, do I feel lucky or do I just keep building priority. Now if there are 100 tags for a zone 50 would go to the priority system and 50 would go to the random draw system.