Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-14-2024, 06:56 PM

Default Cold lake - First Trip

Hey all,

Looking to book a week at a campsite at cold lake this summer. Be first time out, looking for recommendations for sites you can reserve at that are boat friendly. Be nice to be able to leave it in the water for the full duration. Looks like several government ones so having a tough time identifying which is the best option
Old 05-14-2024, 10:03 PM

I used Baywood campground. They have a small, private dock. It was the perfect setup for me for a few nights. I never left my boat there though. Water level might be a concern from there this year. To get to the main lake you have to traverse a sandbar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-15-2024, 08:38 AM

Cold Lake is not a place where I would want to leave my boat in the water unattended overnight. That lake can blow up with weather. If you need to do this I would only look at the marina.

SS

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 05-15-2024, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSteele View Post
Cold Lake is not a place where I would want to leave my boat in the water unattended overnight. That lake can blow up with weather. If you need to do this I would only look at the marina.

SS

2x
Old 05-15-2024, 12:04 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45-70GOV View Post
Hey all,

Looking to book a week at a campsite at cold lake this summer. Be first time out, looking for recommendations for sites you can reserve at that are boat friendly. Be nice to be able to leave it in the water for the full duration. Looks like several government ones so having a tough time identifying which is the best option

Book the MD campground at French bay, launch your boat at the provincial campground and have someone drive your vehicle and trailer to the MD campground.
This place is sheltered to protect your boat, many leave there boats pushed up on shore.
The reason I am saying to launch elsewhere is that the MD campground at French bay is really low unless you got a tin boat.
PM me if you want more details, I am hammering lakers 200 yards out right now in my kayak!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-15-2024, 03:58 PM

Just a shout out to anyone that leaves there truck and trailer at the provincial boat launch ....over night . There is a 75% chance it will get broken into .
Last year I got there around 7 am and all 5 trucks that where left over night had there windows smashed in ,so they could get in without setting off the alarm system .

It would be nice if they had some camp stalls to rent near the parking lot so other can keep an eye on them when the sun goes down ,like they have at english bay .
Old 05-15-2024, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
Just a shout out to anyone that leaves there truck and trailer at the provincial boat launch ....over night . There is a 75% chance it will get broken into .
Last year I got there around 7 am and all 5 trucks that where left over night had there windows smashed in ,so they could get in without setting off the alarm system .

It would be nice if they had some camp stalls to rent near the parking lot so other can keep an eye on them when the sun goes down ,like they have at english bay .
Listen to this!!!! DO NOT LEAVE ANYTHING ANYWHERE YOU CAN NOT SEE IT!!! Don't risk it....haul it out everytime and park it in your campsite...I also seen this personally. Horrible feeling going back to see your stuff ransacked, broken or stolen. Local RCMP will tell you...if you leave your rigs unattended in the provincial park unattended over night, expect it to be busted or stolen. Even seen trucks and rigs broken into during the day when you are out on the water for the day. So do your due diligence. Get everything insured properly, and hope for the best.
Old 05-15-2024, 07:16 PM

Remember the day when you could leave you vehicle and trailer unlocked and never had to worry about things going missing. Those days are gone forever.
Old 05-15-2024, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorne View Post
Listen to this!!!! DO NOT LEAVE ANYTHING ANYWHERE YOU CAN NOT SEE IT!!! Don't risk it....haul it out everytime and park it in your campsite...I also seen this personally. Horrible feeling going back to see your stuff ransacked, broken or stolen. Local RCMP will tell you...if you leave your rigs unattended in the provincial park unattended over night, expect it to be busted or stolen. Even seen trucks and rigs broken into during the day when you are out on the water for the day. So do your due diligence. Get everything insured properly, and hope for the best.

Totally agree the provincial parking lot is a haven for your crap to be broken into and in the day time too.

Not gonna say much but justice is served by those who sit and wait .

So that being said it comes in waves of crime around here like other places.

Like many places in Alberta great place to visit but….

Old 05-15-2024, 10:02 PM

Never again, not even during the day. Last year mr and every single gle other vehicle parked there got a nice hole drilled in the gas tank.
Old 05-16-2024, 05:33 AM

Appreciate the insight into how things work there gents. Maybe I’ll explore other options all together
Old 05-16-2024, 08:08 AM

Default Cold lake - First Trip

I wouldn’t let it keep you from fishing the lake entirely, but just tweak the plan a bit. I would launch and take out at the Marina in town each day. It’s relatively cheap to launch and it’s free if you launch early enough. Good parking lot to leave your vehicle and it’s as safe as anywhere these days. I just wouldn’t leave any valuables in the open.

The fishing is certainly worth making the effort, just go in with eyes open.

SS

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 05-16-2024, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorne View Post
One would think that the RCMP would set up a sting vehicle and trailer to catch these scumbags!

I know its a catch and release system for these low lifes, but at least make an attempt to curb this.

BW
Old 05-16-2024, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45-70GOV View Post
Appreciate the insight into how things work there gents. Maybe I’ll explore other options all together
Have a look at english pay provincial campgrounds at cold lake . They have a few stall about 20 ft from the shore line which has a sandy beach to pull your boat up on . They also have about 5 stalls right beside the boat launch and parking lot .

Ethal lake also has shore line camping stalls which is 20 mins from english bay boat launch ,so you can hit two lake on your trip .

Last edited by -JR-; 05-16-2024 at 10:44 AM.
Old 05-16-2024, 11:12 AM

Don’t want to point fingers here but I’m sure everybody knows the people that are causing all the problems with vandalism and stolen property. Gotta be careful I’m that north country and the police do nothing for they are part of the problem also. Don’t think that they don’t know who is doin it either. It’s the time of the year where non residents of cold lake come there to enjoy fishing and the locals take advantage. Pretty sad if you ask me!!! Not only in cold lake does this happen.
Old 05-16-2024, 11:50 AM

So easy to catch them also . Just need to sit back in a tint car and wait for them
Old 05-16-2024, 12:32 PM

Trust me our local RCMP are swamped with crap but I tell ya straight up for the most part it is nice to come home to your stuff still where you left it.
Neighbours are watchful and with social media etc we jump on things right away but still not enough as these criminals are very relentless so we too take that approach.
As with all communities in Canada criminals will run amuck so we in conjunction with law enforcement can at least throw a wrench in their gearbox.
The lake and surrounding area has lots to offer for outdoor activities and as said there are many places to enjoy and have a peace of mind that your items won’t be vandalized or stolen.