Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-07-2022, 05:42 PM

Default 1911 grips

I'm looking at purchasing some grips for my 1911. Two companies I've been looking at are VZ, and Lok. Their grips are kind of similar. Does anyone have any experience with any of these?

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
Old 09-08-2022, 03:50 AM

I have LOK grips on on of my CZ pistols and I really like them. I also looked at VZ grips, and as you mentioned, they both offer similar products.

I have the "bogie'" / golf ball dimple style pattern on my grips, and the biggest complaint that I have heard is that they are too aggressive and some people find them uncomfortable. Personally I don't find that.... to me they offer a sure grip. There are lots of options though, from both companies.

G10 is a nice material for grips, huge # of color / pattern choices, durable and low weight, it would be hard to go wrong with either company I think. I'd buy LOK grips again in a heartbeat, but I would also give VZ a try if I saw a style or color that caught my eye.
Old 09-10-2022, 05:13 PM

My new grips. Skip the writeup. I'm just blabbing on.

I picked up a set of VZ grips. It's what they had in stock. This is actually the colour I was originally looking for, black and grey. I had changed my mind to a bright blue version but they would have had to order them. This was the last set in this colour. All the others were black, or military tan.

They have waaayyy more grip than the factory wood grips do. Like Scott ^^ mentioned, some may find them too aggressive. The boss thinks they're too sharp, and likes the original wood grips better. I won't get into my opinion on that.

To me, the original wood grips have an elegant sort of look. Which I like a lot. They have class. But I'm more of a bad mamajama. So these are more my style.

VZ has screw kits, but the colour of the original screws matched these new grips so I didn't get them. The upper screws stick up a bit past the grip. I'm not sure if this is an acceptable design flaw, or if there is a solution. You can see in the last pic.

I used a 5/64 hex bit to swap the grips. I'd like to thank VZ, Snap-On, and Coors for making this all possible.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
Old 09-10-2022, 06:41 PM

Those look absolutely fantastic SB, love them. I have had a couple sets of the VZ over the years as well, very well made (good fit) and durable. I'm sure you will love them. The set I had on my S&W 657 looked awesome...but shooting the spicy .41 magnum loads, it was too aggressive texture. Like holding a cheese grater. so I had to go to Pachmyr Grippers. With the 1911, you won't have any issues.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 09-10-2022, 08:26 PM

Nice
I’d like to get a set of mother of pearl grips to pimp out my old nickel plated Browning Hi-power