Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-19-2022, 03:01 PM

Default Lost my PAL card. How to renew?

So I lost my PAL card the other day and I'm looking for the quickest way to get a replacement issued to me. Problem is, I don't know where to even start. Do I go into a service canada and ask to get it replaced? If not where do I go?

I am also in year 4 of for the card before it expires. Would it be better to get it renewed as opposed to getting it replaced?

Any info is appreciated. I'm really hoping I can get this resolved before bear season starts, so thank you.

Mike
Old 04-19-2022, 03:32 PM

Call the Canadian Firearms Center.
Old 04-19-2022, 03:33 PM

Here is the link to the RCMP PAL/RPAL application site.
Use form RCMP 5614 for a renewal.
Use form RCMP 5515 to request a replacement document. (scroll to the bottom of the page for this one)

https://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/firear...earms-forms#f9

If your renewal date is less than a year away, you might as well apply for the renewal. Just not sure if you need to inform the RCMP, CFC, and CFO about the lost document?

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 04-19-2022, 05:09 PM

I just tried calling them and was put on hold for 2 hours. I then got an automated voice saying they can't connect my call right now and got disconnected.

Does anybody know if I need a PAL if I take my rifle into the bush? I know you need it to purchase guns and ammo but if I already have the gun/ammo will I get in trouble if I take them into the bush without having my PAL card?
Old 04-19-2022, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macdrizzle View Post
I just tried calling them and was put on hold for 2 hours. I then got an automated voice saying they can't connect my call right now and got disconnected.

Does anybody know if I need a PAL if I take my rifle into the bush? I know you need it to purchase guns and ammo but if I already have the gun/ammo will I get in trouble if I take them into the bush without having my PAL card?
The P in PAL stands for possession……..

Section. 91 Of the Criminal Code spells it out.

91 (1) Subject to subsection (4), every person commits an offence who possesses a prohibited firearm, a restricted firearm or a non-restricted firearm without being the holder of

(a) a licence under which the person may possess it; and

Section 117 states:

117.03 (1) Despite section 117.02, a peace officer who finds

(a) a person in possession of a prohibited firearm, a restricted firearm or a non-restricted firearm who fails, on demand, to produce, for inspection by the peace officer, an authorization or a licence under which the person may lawfully possess the firearm and, in the case of a prohibited firearm or a restricted firearm, a registration certificate for it, or

Now is every cop, fish cop, CO, Warden, Sheriff, DOT officer going to ask for your PAL, probably not, but they certainly can………..

There are no absolutes

Last edited by Dick284; 04-19-2022 at 06:03 PM.
Old 04-19-2022, 05:58 PM

It states right on the replacement application:

If renewed online, the card usually gets to your mail box within a few days; got mine (RPAL) less then week later after submitting the application. I don’t know if replacement takes longer (paper application will definitely take longer, even a while).

If you go to the woods with someone who is licensed and has their card, you don’t need yours.
Old 04-20-2022, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
It states right on the replacement application:

If renewed online, the card usually gets to your mail box within a few days; got mine (RPAL) less then week later after submitting the application. I don’t know if replacement takes longer (paper application will definitely take longer, even a while).

If you go to the woods with someone who is licensed and has their card, you don’t need yours.
Thanks for the info. I'm looking at the renew application and it asks for PAL# and expiry date, possession and acquisition. I'm not sure what it means by possession and acquisition. But if I lost my card, I wouldn't know the PAL# and expiry date either...

Just tried calling them again and can't get through to anybody. Just circling through automated responses.
Old 04-20-2022, 11:10 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I'm looking at the renew application and it asks for PAL# and expiry date, possession and acquisition. I'm not sure what it means by possession and acquisition. But if I lost my card, I wouldn't know the PAL# and expiry date either...

Just tried calling them again and can't get through to anybody. Just circling through automated responses.
For the future, I would suggest taking a photo of your card so you have all the information. Makes life so much easier in a case like this.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 04-20-2022, 02:44 PM

Exclamation You need that stinkin' paper!

Quote:
All the information they are asking for is on the paper document that came with your PAL; a document you are legally required to carry with you, along with your PAL, and produce when asked by a LEO. Hopefully you put that document somewhere safe.

FWIW- I doubt that many actually carry it with them. Everyone I've asked about says the same thing: it's safe in my files at home, where it won't get ruined.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 04-20-2022, 02:52 PM

I had to replace mine a while back (dropped into well with wallet from shirt pocket) not lost but could not access it. Took forever cause they treated it as lost /stolen, real jerk around ordeal. You want to get on that right away,if can, fastest way is probably gonna be a trip to your favorite RCMP detatchment they have a inside line for reporting these types of mishaps (part of our super safe registry you know) and they can fast track you to speak with someone, in Mirimichi I was able to go thru our OPP detachment. They get really choked when you leave it for very long

Last edited by brass410; 04-20-2022 at 02:54 PM. Reason: grammer
Old 04-20-2022, 03:43 PM

You will need to attend your local police department (RCMP or Municipal) and report the PAL as lost. The Police will then add your PAL information to CPIC the same as a lost DL or passport. This is to assist in preventing someone from using your found PAL fraudulently. The Police will also be able to give you the PAL information you need by running your name and date of birth on CPIC through the CFRO portal. You will then be able to apply for a replacement PAL card online.
Old 04-20-2022, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban rednek View Post
All the information they are asking for is on the paper document that came with your PAL; a document you are legally required to carry with you, along with your PAL, and produce when asked by a LEO. Hopefully you put that document somewhere safe.

FWIW- I doubt that many actually carry it with them. Everyone I've asked about says the same thing: it's safe in my files at home, where it won't get ruined.
Is there anywhere I can get access to this paper? I just got through to the Firearms association and they said they don't have anything temporary or interim for me to use and that I have to wait for the new card to come in. On top of this their website to renew online has been down for the past like 3 days... and they have no idea when it'll come back up... ridiculous.
Old 04-21-2022, 11:20 AM

Quote:

Dick answered in post #5 and that is correct. The thing is you are in violation of all the laws quoted in post 5 whether you leave your home with a firearm or not. A firearm sitting in your safe is no more legal without a PAL than it is in the bush without a PAL. There is just a greater percentage of being caught in that predicament if you are out and about outside your home with a firearm. The odds of you being asked to produce a PAL are slim, but you never know........and you have already done your due diligence by reporting that you lost your PAL. Therefore the CFO knows this and still allows you to possess your firearm. If that weren't the case they should have advised you to turn in any firearms in your possession when you reported the loss. In your circumstance, would I take my .22 out to go rabbit hunting today? Yes I would take the risk. You decide what you are going to do........but keep on top of getting a replacement card asap.

Last edited by CNP; 04-21-2022 at 11:42 AM.