Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-20-2022, 01:28 PM
Banned

Default looking for knowledge on antique rifle

years ago, i obtained an antique single shot rifle that is absolutely exquisite in workmanship and condition. it was reportedly brought back from belgium in 1898, and has the words "WILH: von Kreyfelt, Rotterdam" inlaid in gold on the side of the receiver. In the years since I obtained it, i have tried everywhere to get information on it, but failed.

recently, while surfing the web, information on the maker seemingly miraculously appeared! there is precious little info on him, but what there is seems to fit with the limited info i have on the gun, and pics on the internet sure make my rifle look very close to some of the features that are shown there.

my question is.....do any of you know a high end gun resource i could check to see if i can find out more information? there used to be a shop in edmonton called Kearns & McMurchy, buy i haven't been able to contact them...phone # no longer in service, so am wondering if they are still open.

i don't do much gun research, but am thinking i may have to find a gun resource in europe to determine the origin/value/etc, etc of this weapon.

as an aside, i did take it to the 'antiques roadshow' 20 or so years ago, but they couldn't give me any info. fellow there said without a doubt, it was the finest weapon he had ever had the privilege to hold, but that was the best he could do.

i don't do pics here, but if anyone is interested in fine old rifles, drop me a message......it will probably be for sale if i can find out some more about it.
Old 04-20-2022, 06:46 PM

CGN is the place to ask…or accuratereloading
Old 04-20-2022, 07:14 PM

Is it a Shuetzen style rifle? Ron Smith may be able to help you if it is.
There is also a single shot rifle facebook page.
Cat
Old 04-20-2022, 07:26 PM
Banned

its not really a schuetzen style (fancy trigger guard and long but hardware...though there is one of his rifles on the net that is definitely that style.

mine is quite a bit fancier than his guns on the net (that i can find)
Old 04-20-2022, 08:07 PM

Most likely a Martini breech loader made (customized) by Wilhelm Von Kreyfelt. There are a few items when doing a Google search to confirm, however while cleaning out my grandmothers house we found the rear stock of a rifle with an inlaid medallion in the stock labelled the same as yours. She emigrated from Holland in the 40's with her family. Most likely was broken and my Grandfather tried to repair it at some point. I have a book of Dutch Gunmakers that if I remember correctly makes reference to Kreyfelt. I will have a look for you.
Old 04-20-2022, 08:15 PM

Do you have any photos, especially of the proof marks?
Old 04-20-2022, 09:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
Do you have any photos, especially of the proof marks?
i have taken the stock off and done a thourough inspection of the rifle. the only mark on the rifle, other than kreyfelt's name inlaid in gold, are the initials RB.
Old 04-20-2022, 09:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fowl91 View Post
Most likely a Martini breech loader made (customized) by Wilhelm Von Kreyfelt. There are a few items when doing a Google search to confirm, however while cleaning out my grandmothers house we found the rear stock of a rifle with an inlaid medallion in the stock labelled the same as yours. She emigrated from Holland in the 40's with her family. Most likely was broken and my Grandfather tried to repair it at some point. I have a book of Dutch Gunmakers that if I remember correctly makes reference to Kreyfelt. I will have a look for you.
now that, is very interesting...do you still have the stock?
Old 04-21-2022, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiledsaskhunter View Post
now that, is very interesting...do you still have the stock?
Unfortunately no. We gave the stock, a box of firearms parts and a prohibited pistol to a family friend who was retired RCMP. At the time neither myself or my dad had any idea what some of that stuff was. Being there was only the rear portion we thought the stock to be of little value.
Old 04-21-2022, 07:52 AM

Something like this?

https://www.gunstar.co.uk/wilhelm-vo.../rifles/946795

Wilhelm Von Kreyfelt was a Dutch gunmaker active around 1870 until 1900. Little is known about Von Kreyfelt other than he made or modified this best quality, heavy, rolling block match grade target rifle which is in the obsolete calibre 9.5 x 60R Mauser introduced C1887 for the Peabody Martini Action rifle.
Old 04-21-2022, 09:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
Something like this?

https://www.gunstar.co.uk/wilhelm-vo.../rifles/946795

Wilhelm Von Kreyfelt was a Dutch gunmaker active around 1870 until 1900. Little is known about Von Kreyfelt other than he made or modified this best quality, heavy, rolling block match grade target rifle which is in the obsolete calibre 9.5 x 60R Mauser introduced C1887 for the Peabody Martini Action rifle.
well, the rear sight is the same, but that's about all. there is a pic of another one of his rifles on the web, that has the same rear sight and the same tapered wedge that drives through the stock/action to hold it together, but mine is quite a bit nicer. it is a single shot bolt action and has a lion carved out of steel for the bolt handle, and a detailed barrel that i won't even try to explain (its kind of like an octagon, but instead of octagon, it has long lines from one end of the barrel to the other that stand proud of the round barrel). i did get a casting of the chamber done many years ago, but it turned out rough and i've never been able to find anyone who could look at it and tell me what the cartridge is. i'm pretty sure that whatever it is, it will be obsolete, but if i could figure it out i might even try to find a place to make some for me. ($$)