Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-25-2022, 03:25 PM

Default Fuel injector cleaner

Any one been putting fuel injector cleaner additive into their fuel tanks inparticular for 4 strokes?

I always put fuel stabilizer in for winter but am thinking I should maybe add a cleaner this spring.
Old 03-25-2022, 04:17 PM

I run my boat year round and put 300-400 hours a year on it. It’s a four banger Suzuki on the back. The filters are changed frequently and the fuel doesn’t have ethanol in it. About a year ago I noticed mileage was going down. An average day is about 100-110 nautical miles and about 45 of those miles are on plane running to and from with the rest trolling. I went from burning 115-120 litres a day to burning 160-170 litres a day over the course of a year.
The maintenance was all good, plugs changed every 200 hrs, valve set done every 200 hours, I checked the timing, idle speed and O2 feedback loop. I didn’t check compression or vacuum but it seemed everything was within spec. I was considering getting the injectors rebuilt but instead decided to try and clean them the east way.
I ran two cans of seafoam through a tank of fuel. On that trip while trolling it sputtered two times, both just a single miss a few minutes apart. After that trip my fuel economy was right back where it should be. I’ll do a 100-110 NM day and burn around 115 litres. So from my experience, yes they need a little extra every now and then. Pick your poison on the additive but I don’t think it’s a bad idea.
Old 03-25-2022, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLER View Post
Any one been putting fuel injector cleaner additive into their fuel tanks inparticular for 4 strokes?

I always put fuel stabilizer in for winter but am thinking I should maybe add a cleaner this spring.
IS your engine acting up like CoilOil37 was describing or doing something different. Check what he suggests for sure before putting additives in first. Sea foam worked for him but maybe not you. Maybe try it. Do you do regular maintenance?
Old 03-25-2022, 07:00 PM

99% of the bottled miracle fixes are junk. I am a believer in sea foam when used for its intended purpose....I never rely on it to fix an issue though.
Getting injectors professionally cleaned and flow tested is cheap and easy. The guy I use charges like $20/injector and can correct any issue and in some cases flow match them closer than they came from the factory.
Our fuel is junk at the best of times and you'd be surprised at just how poor an injectors performance can get over a relatively short period of time.
Old 03-25-2022, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
99% of the bottled miracle fixes are junk. I am a believer in sea foam when used for its intended purpose....I never rely on it to fix an issue though.
Getting injectors professionally cleaned and flow tested is cheap and easy. The guy I use charges like $20/injector and can correct any issue and in some cases flow match them closer than they came from the factory.
Our fuel is junk at the best of times and you'd be surprised at just how poor an injectors performance can get over a relatively short period of time.
If 99% are junk...what is the 1% ... I use amax which is reccomended by my aviation friends and aka zmax ... I also use amsoil injector cleaner ... what do others use?
Old 03-25-2022, 07:57 PM

Not just the injector itself there are filters behind them that need to be checked cleaned or changed.
I am no mechanic by no means but if you find one that will explain things to you and you listen to what they say you can kinda figure it out. If not take it in and spend a few bucks to have it assessed. Be better if they would take it to the lake with you and then crack it or use it where it happens.
As said before CoilOil37 has some good points.

Last edited by barbless; 03-25-2022 at 08:08 PM.
Old 03-25-2022, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stob View Post
If 99% are junk...what is the 1% ... I use amax which is reccomended by my aviation friends and aka zmax ... I also use amsoil injector cleaner ... what do others use?
There are products to do good job when used for their intended purpose....such as sea foam. I use it all the time as a stabilizer/treatment in jerry cans and equipment that aren't run on a regular basis. Zmax is advertised as an additive. It's intended to be used as a fuel treatment/preventative maintenance....not a fix in a can.
My initial point was to the OP....if he suspects an issue on an injected engine....getting the injectors professionally serviced isn't really much more than the fix in can. Running a quality fuel additive would likely prevent the issue or at least extend the serviceability of the fuel system.
Old 03-25-2022, 08:18 PM

Who is your go to guy for your service work mlee? Thanks.
Old 03-26-2022, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
Who is your go to guy for your service work mlee? Thanks.
Performance Fuel Injection in High River
Old 03-26-2022, 08:16 AM

All regular maintainence is up to date. No issues just wondering if I should consider a fuel injector cleaner.
Old 03-26-2022, 11:05 AM

Give Mercury Quickleen a try I also use Amoil fuel stabilzer in my outbroads .
Old 03-26-2022, 11:29 AM

I have used nothing but Yamaha products for my big engine and kicker. Always OEM parts when needed. Oils and lubes and recommended fuel stabils. But that's me. Serviced always if needed by mechanic, I do my own minor maintenance on both. Then again my main is a 150 HPDI 2 stroke and kicker is a 6HP 4 stroke. Have had since 2007 and no major problems. Two injectors and their filters replaced. Have not had a need for any additives other than fuel stabil