Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-07-2021, 04:41 AM

Default What would you do?

Hypothetical question, let’s say that on a public forum, a person posts about their and their friends successful day of ice fishing here in Alberta. In reading their post, you realize they may have been in contravention of the regulations, specifically the paragraph under Daily Limits on page 20 of the sportfishing regulation.

For this discussion, you do not know the people involved.

Do you

1) just move along, nothing to see here

2) send the OP a private message congratulating them on a fine day of fishing but note the potential regulation infraction

3) post what is stated in 2 above in reply to their post on the forum for the world to see and make sure you have your burn suit on for the inevitable gong show that would be ensured to follow

Or 4) now this is the least desirable choice for myself, report to the powers that be, ie Report a Poacher.

Their forum post would be along the lines of, comment on how many walleyes they caught, that they took home 1 walleye each and also cooked some up on the ice during the day which they ate which puts them over their daily limit. Daily limit at said lake is 1 walleye over 50 cms.

Obviously this regulation does not apply to those with a harvesting right which is not bound by the regulations of which lets say none of those involved were.

Last edited by JohninAB; 03-07-2021 at 04:50 AM.
Old 03-07-2021, 05:16 AM

First I would want to be sure I was not miss interpreting their posts and was 100% I knew the regs for that lake. After that I would send them a PM regarding the issue giving them the benefit of the doubt it was an honest mistake.

If it’s seen again in the future or they respond poorly then things will be different
Old 03-07-2021, 05:18 AM

For me personally, I know that people make honest mistakes and I would start with option #2 on your list. Depending on how the respond to a private message, I would have no issue whatsoever moving onto option #4 on your list.
Old 03-07-2021, 05:42 AM
Banned

Default Perhaps

Hypothetically you have nothing but a story (that may or may not be true) told on a public b.s. platform to people who demand "pics or it didn't happen" that is forcing you to wrestle with your conscience.

If you are that badly troubled by the on-line confession you have no choice but to claim the reward. Hypothetically.

It is my view that asking your anonymous associates to also be troubled by the scenario and to assuage your guilt about a potential, and hypothetical, non-issue is the least likely way to get the answer you may want to hear.

Free (maybe)
Old 03-07-2021, 08:01 AM

Option #2 - with a caveat "I may have misunderstood stood your post, but it seems to indicate that you exceeded your daily limit of 1 walleye .... "
Old 03-07-2021, 08:09 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

hmmm since its a forum...ask questions.....ya never know what the OP left out or put forth was a misunderstanding etc....and it can go any direction depending if its a full moon or not

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-07-2021, 10:16 AM

#2 is likely the most reasonable approach to the situation. But, I do believe there is a place for some level of public shaming. Doesn't mean everyone points and laughs and belittles the guilty party, but being held accountable in a public setting I believe holds more weight.

I know in the work force, there's a lot of stupid **** that happens. And when it happens the guilty parties are protected by "FOIP" and other HR safety nets. And because of this the individuals aren't held accountable and usually that results in the entire group being punished on some level. This kind of thing drives me nuts.

In my opinion, a lesson learned publicly will stick more so than one privately.
Old 03-07-2021, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
Option #2 - with a caveat "I may have misunderstood stood your post, but it seems to indicate that you exceeded your daily limit of 1 walleye .... "
I like this ^^^^and it would probably be my reaction......or I may go the route of option 1 depending on the clarity of the OP.

What I dislike from fellow outdoorsmen is the race to claim a reward from a perceived infraction. Don't get me wrong.....poachers should pay, but there seems to be to great a response from people who themselves are not knowledgeable enough to make a judgement or insufficient grounds to make an accusation.
Old 03-07-2021, 03:28 PM

Likely #2, maybe #3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-07-2021, 03:47 PM

To me your second sentence sums it up. You stated they MAY have.... Since you can not say with 100% certainty that they broke the law then there is no point in reporting it to RAP as the only way they would get a conviction is if the suspect admitted guilt. If you are talking about this forum, there are already F&W on here that might pursue the issue if they feel it is worth their time.
I would go route 3 as PM's only serve to warn the person to hide their crimes better next time. If you call them out in public at least you have the public shaming aspect. If they posted pictures of their crimes then at least the rest of the forum might be inclined to keep an eye on them if they are seen fishing again. Sometimes it better to let a "maybe" case go until it becomes a "slam dunk" case.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 03-07-2021, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
For me personally, I know that people make honest mistakes and I would start with option #2 on your list. Depending on how the respond to a private message, I would have no issue whatsoever moving onto option #4 on your list.
People also lie about which lake they were actually fishing. I wouldnt rule out the chance that the catch limit might have been legal for where said poster was actually fishing, though possibly not where he claimed to be fishing. Tough to keep that straight sometimes
Old 03-07-2021, 04:32 PM

Quit being a do gooder and get on with your life sheesh
Old 03-07-2021, 04:39 PM

Oh No I might cancelled over a hypothetical. Get a job or a life. I'm sick of people like this always looking to control what other people do. Snowflakes or worse
Old 03-07-2021, 06:04 PM
Banned

I tell people that "it's scientifically proven that you will live longer if you mind you're own business".

👌🤣
Old 03-07-2021, 10:01 PM

Yup, alot of people post a pile of fish just to get a reaction from us Albertans. Do your research and ask your questions before calling in the swat team. The rest of the world manages and sustains their fisheries WAY different than alberta...they are just rubbing our faces in it. Nobody likes a rat, but if you see people poaching in alberta and keeping over their limits with your own eyes then yes you should let the authorities know. Most poachers don't take pictures and post them online any more.
Old 03-07-2021, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
People also lie about which lake they were actually fishing. I wouldnt rule out the chance that the catch limit might have been legal for where said poster was actually fishing, though possibly not where he claimed to be fishing. Tough to keep that straight sometimes
Pretty much this. I wouldn't take anything posted online as absolutely factual lol. People may feel the need to contribute but may also understand the idea of spot burning and how that might directly effect their future fishing endeavors.
Old 03-08-2021, 09:03 AM

It's a good question. Part of it depends on how involved you want to get.

There's also the possibility that that our defenders of fish and game who watch this site may already be actioning on that case.