Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-23-2021, 07:02 PM

Default Frank Lake

Many years joking about fishing in Frank Lake and then this pops up on Youtube. I guess the jokes on me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmuSijePqpA
Old 02-23-2021, 07:06 PM

I keep tellin ya. too bad they didnt get into those giant pike that eat those carp there!
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 02-23-2021, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
I keep tellin ya. too bad they didnt get into those giant pike that eat those carp there!
Old 02-23-2021, 08:04 PM

big burbots in there if u where to look.
Old 02-23-2021, 08:40 PM

In the video pike were mentioned swimming around there. Could be some big ones based on what they are eating. He makes reference to bad water in the video I wonder how bad it really is for the fish. The carp seem to like it.

Quote:
Old 02-23-2021, 08:56 PM

The water is actually up to snuff as far as tertiary water goes. It is tested stringently & the plant has a settling pond before it's pumped. The Town water I don't know if there's a settling pond first.

Our friend & hunting partner has farmland bordering the lake, & water tests say it's safe to irrigate with, just need more supply.
Old 02-25-2021, 09:44 AM

dont mention these things they are secret in there
Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 02-25-2021, 10:12 AM

When you see the carp stacked up like that it makes a fellow want to use a cast net and scoop them out by the hundreds. I’ve seen multiple videos of multiple lakes where the carp stack up in big numbers and density, using a cast net may be one of the only ways to actually make a dent in their numbers.
Old 02-25-2021, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slough shark View Post
When you see the carp stacked up like that it makes a fellow want to use a cast net and scoop them out by the hundreds. I’ve seen multiple videos of multiple lakes where the carp stack up in big numbers and density, using a cast net may be one of the only ways to actually make a dent in their numbers.
you might get a net full but they are very spooky and I doubt if you would get close enough for a second. This would be a great spot to practice bow fishing for them! be nice to know thats all there is there, a couple grenades could make for an interesting fishing video no way we will ever get rid of these things now they are in Alberta to stay. too bad they dont feed on the crayfish too
Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 02-25-2021, 11:15 AM

Quote:
you might get a net full but they are very spooky and I doubt if you would get close enough for a second. This would be a great spot to practice bow fishing for them! be nice to know thats all there is there, a couple grenades could make for an interesting fishing video no way we will ever get rid of these things now they are in Alberta to stay. too bad they dont feed on the crayfish too
I know they’re here to stay, that part sucks, trying to remove as many as possible is the main goal at this point so that our other fish don’t get overrun hence the throw net suggestion. If a fellow was patient he could likely remove a couple thousand if you target them in key areas at key times. Grenades would be awesome although I somehow don’t see that happening anytime soon whil we have a prime minister who is scared of airsoft guns. Bow fishing for small fish would be tough, a lot of fun but not very effective at knocking down numbers.
Old 02-25-2021, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Shhhhhhhhh! Keep that to yourself (and me! ha ha) We're headed down Saturday for a Sat Eve/Sun Day rip to find those. Have found a bunch of really healthy low 20s, but haven't seen 25"+ yet. Might do a bit more exploring this weekend!
Old 02-25-2021, 06:27 PM

Great video.
Old 02-25-2021, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Small feet = small..........

I couldn't let this slip by. Plus you know I owe you !

Dodger.
Old 02-27-2021, 09:39 AM

I wonder how they got in there? Unless they have been there since before TVR was dammed? Impassible fishway at TVR downstream. Perhaps there were some in the Highwood when the big flood blasted the Highwood through High river into the little bow diversion? Birds another possibility. Likely plenty of pike as prior to TVR could swim upstream, so have always been present in the little bow; walleye, burbot etc. the same route. That is some gross water there, but also full of life. I think the bow river had more fish in it upstream when there was a bit of sewage from the towns above Calgary...within reason of course...first fill of TVR was 2003 so before the first confirmed population of Prussian carp in 2006. Hmmm. Pike are heroes!

Last edited by trainerdave; 02-27-2021 at 09:48 AM.
Old 02-27-2021, 09:45 AM

Maybe they should stock pike in there? Looks like they can't keep up.
Old 02-28-2021, 12:57 AM

Default dead prussian carp as bait

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger View Post
Many years joking about fishing in Frank Lake and then this pops up on Youtube. I guess the jokes on me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmuSijePqpA
is it legal to use dead prussian carp from frank lake as bait at crawling valley reservoir. its probably great since body doesn't turn to mush, not easily stolen , sizable meal for big fish. free too but is it ethical
Old 02-28-2021, 08:05 AM

Absolutely not. Read the regs. And to add these things dont die easily either. They go dormant and come back to life. Besides illegal there would be a great chance of them coming back to life and being introduced into even more places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goku88 View Post
is it legal to use dead prussian carp from frank lake as bait at crawling valley reservoir. its probably great since body doesn't turn to mush, not easily stolen , sizable meal for big fish. free too but is it ethical