Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-14-2009, 08:20 PM

Default Best all round knife

I want to buy a good hunting knife that will last me for years. I understand there are different knifes for caping, gutting etc. i am just curious to see what you all think the best all around hunting knife is? thanks for your input
Old 10-14-2009, 08:34 PM
Banned

I don't think you would go wrong with one of these:
http://pumaknifecompanyusa.com/Packer-230465-P27C7.aspx
Old 10-14-2009, 08:37 PM

that Puma look s like a sweet knife. Any dealers in Calgary?
Old 10-14-2009, 08:38 PM

Take a look at the Outdoor Edge Swing Blade.....google it.

That curved blade will go thru a moose hide as fast as if he had a zipper on his hide.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benrudmik View Post
I want to buy a good hunting knife that will last me for years. I understand there are different knifes for caping, gutting etc. i am just curious to see what you all think the best all around hunting knife is? thanks for your input
Without a doubt for me, my favourite is my Puma Jagermeister.
This folder will and has done it all.
Cat
Old 10-14-2009, 08:56 PM
Banned

I don't know where there might be dealers around - haven't had to look for the last 20 years as mine is still working great.

I have owned and used knives by Schrade OldTimer, Schrade Uncle Henry (unfortunately they are out of business I think), Buck, Cutco, Puma, Gerber, Swiss Army, Normark and other sundry manufacturers not worthy of mention. It is my opinion that Puma makes the best steel of them all for ease of sharpening and edge holding. I really like my OldTimer as it is the quickest and keenest edge but it doesn't hold for a long time. The Buck and the Cutco I no longer own. I would not hesitate to own a Gerber knife either.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:59 PM

im gonna look into puma for sure. thanks again
Old 10-14-2009, 09:02 PM

canadian belt knife and a close second would be a pizza wheel
Old 10-14-2009, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post

That curved blade will go thru a moose hide as fast as if he had a zipper on his hide.
my brother just bought one of these....very cool knife for sure..haven't been able to use iton anything yet....
Old 10-14-2009, 09:03 PM
Banned

Is that this one cat?
Old 10-14-2009, 09:28 PM

http://www.gerbergear.com/index.php/product/id/56

I just bought one of these a couple months ago. A little on the large side and the sheath is kinda cheesy but, I like the knife. Good grip on the handle when wet alslo. And I made a leather sheath for it.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:48 PM

Default Bark River Knife & Tool

My preference when in the bush is for a fixed blade knife.

I highly recommend Bark River Knife & Tool products. Great knives for a reasonable price. Not cheap, but reasonable. Lots of different models to choose from.

My personal favorites and the ones I still own are the Aurora, a bushcraft design, and the Bravo1, a bushcraft/ survival design developed in conjunction with the US Marine Corp. Good all around designs...

Another make worth mentioning is Fallkniven. They put out some great knives with laminated VG10 steel blades. They manufacture the Swedish military's survival knife, the A1. The Fallkniven S1, F1 or H1 would all make great general purpose knives.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:52 PM

I have had a few but bought a knives of alaska camp knife on impulse recently, I gutted a wt buck with it including splitting the pelvic bone and ribs, skinned it and then used it to butcher it and could still shave hair off my arm with it easily. I was impressed as other knives I have had would not be as sharp as the D2 steel they use. Hard to sharpen though and it will rust.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vindalbakken View Post
Is that this one cat?
YUP - but not QUITE!

Cat
Old 10-14-2009, 10:18 PM

Grohmann, Canadian made stay sharp forever great prices.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post

http://www.cabelas.com/p-0050111517883a.shtml

Sorry to disagree. I've had this knife for a year. It has been used on 3 deer and 3 antelope. It is OK, but not a very inspiring knife. It is not as well made as some other blades. Gutting blade is a little awkward. Also, to use other blade, you have to flip it around and pull hair and crap into the handle. When it is cold and knife is wet and dirty, switching blades is not as easy as the videos make it seem.

Gerber has this new gutting blade:

http://www.gerberstore.com/index.php...empage&xid=985

this little honey opens hides like a zipper, 4 antelope this year. I see they offer it in a 2 blade folder that wasn't available when I was in Montana.

http://www.gerberstore.com/index.php...mpage&xid=1020

If you want a long lasting, durable knife, I can recommend the Coldsteel Pendleton Hunter, or the mini hunter.

http://www.coldsteel.com/pehu.html

OR Coldsteel folder, about as rugged a folder as you will find.

http://www.coldsteel.com/ultimatehunter.html

Finally, this Kershaw looks a little gaudy, but it is rugged and retains an edge (4 or more deer sized critters gutted and skinned without needing sharpening):

http://www.kershawknives.com/product...&brand=kershaw

For a portable saw to open ribs and pelvis, this little Gerber saw is light weight, compact and works well:

http://www.gerberstore.com/index.php...empage&xid=565

They make a bigger version for elk and moose.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:36 PM

I like the Falkniven F1
Old 10-15-2009, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntingcrazzy View Post
Grohmann, Canadian made stay sharp forever great prices.
For everyday work, the grohmanns are very hard to beat, yes ( have have 6 of them)
My Puma, although my favourite, is outside the realm of most hunters because it is not available in North America, and is very expensive to import - as much as some guys spend on a rifle.
It was given to me, otherwise I would not have given it a second look!
The Russles, on the other hand are Canadian made, and super good quality!
Cat
Old 10-15-2009, 06:29 AM

i love my cutco hunting knife, orange handle, easy to find if you put it down, holds a good edge, and good grip when wet. i'll get another one soon!
Old 10-15-2009, 06:33 AM
Banned

Cat, the picture I posted of your knife was from the Puma USA website where the knife was available for online sale. While expensive, it was not as much as a rifle - I think $350 without looking it up again.
Old 10-15-2009, 07:31 AM

x2 on the falkniven knives they are great knives.love mine and it holds an edge for ever.
Old 10-15-2009, 07:36 AM

Quote:
I don't think you would go wrong with one of these:
http://pumaknifecompanyusa.com/Packer-230465-P27C7.aspx
Right you are VIND: Thats the kniife that is always on my jeans. Had the Puma "Sergeant" for a long time...but had to bring the "General" outta Idaho a cpl of years ago.

I've use the "Sergeant" on a ton of deer, moose and bears.. Great knifes. A
Old 10-15-2009, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Cat, the picture I posted of your knife was from the Puma USA website where the knife was available for online sale. While expensive, it was not as much as a rifle - I think $350 without looking it up again.
Like Cat said "as much as some guys spend on a rifle." Its true how many guys spend less than this for a rifle just to get in the game!
Puma knives are a great knife my dad owns one and I have made him promise that he has to will it to me! For the money it would be hard to beat a Coldsteel folder, $65 or so at Wholesale and no doubt other reputable knife dealerships. I apologize for not knowing the model but it does come in two sizes, it is a one hand opener which is really convenient and has a liner lock plus a safety for the liner lock. It maintains an excellent edge and is easy to sharpen to boot! It is a tough tough knife!
Truthfully there are lots of good knives on the market with excellent steel but as always you "usually" get what you pay for! I have so many knives...I consider myself to be a knife-aholic! There is just something about a shiny piece of sharp steel that gets the adrenalin going!
Old 10-15-2009, 09:00 AM

My vote goes to Knives of Alaska
Old 10-15-2009, 09:05 AM

Holly you guy's spend a lot on a knife.. I go for the cheap knives, one's that if I loose I don't sweat it. I got one of the cabelas outfitter knives liked it and lost it, now I have a buck knife like it and had it for 2 years. It works great, it cleaned 2 elk already this year with one sharpening, I paid 50 bucks for it. but I will loose it one day. My father has 2 cutco knives and loves them, they hold a edge good.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:13 AM

i have used this one for years great price and I have yet to find another that stays as sharp as long
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 06069_lg.jpg (7.1 KB, 113 views)
Old 10-15-2009, 04:29 PM

I personally like the grohman/russell belt knives. They are solid and durable with models to fit every hand and job. That being said several guys I know swear by Helle knives from Finland, some very good looking knives and hold an ultra sharp edge. I haven't got one but it is on my wish list (don't really need either but you know how it is).
Old 10-15-2009, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by live2bout View Post
I personally like the grohman/russell belt knives. They are solid and durable with models to fit every hand and job. That being said several guys I know swear by Helle knives from Finland, some very good looking knives and hold an ultra sharp edge. I haven't got one but it is on my wish list (don't really need either but you know how it is).
I believe the Helle knives are from Norway, not that it matters . I'm part Fin so I checked
Old 10-15-2009, 05:01 PM

What? No one uses a 10 dollar Mora from Peavy mart anymore?! You guys are fancy!
Old 10-15-2009, 05:31 PM

http://www.crkt.com/

CRKT makes some of my personal favs. Been carrying an M16 for the last couple of years. Never let me down, supposedly with the locking mech on this folder its as close as it gets to fixed. Super sturdy!! Check em out, they're from B.C and won't break the bank!