Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-20-2016, 12:53 PM

Default youth semi-auto shotgun

I am think to buy a youth semi-auto 12G. Medium price or low price range.. any suggestion?
Old 10-20-2016, 01:50 PM

There isn't a great variety of youth semi autos in 12 gauge. The Browning Silver Micro Midas is a great gun, but they are at the upper end of what I would call "medium" priced shotguns. At the lower end, I would look for a used standard model semi auto, and cut the stock to fit.
Old 10-20-2016, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
There isn't a great variety of youth semi autos in 12 gauge. The Browning Silver Micro Midas is a great gun, but they are at the upper end of what I would call "medium" priced shotguns. At the lower end, I would look for a used standard model semi auto, and cut the stock to fit.
good suggestion, but where is the place to look for the used ones?
Old 10-20-2016, 02:22 PM

Try the Buy&Sell here, or join the EE at Canadiangunnutz. Several dealers also stock used shotguns, and they have online listings.
Old 10-20-2016, 02:33 PM

I picked up a very nice Remington 1100 LW (light weight) off the CGN exchange a year ago for my daughter in 20g. Built on the 28 gauge receiver instead of the 12, with a mahogany stock. She loves it, and she beats me here and there at clays/skeet with it. They only made them a few years in the 70s, but if you can find one, they are a jewel. Mine was in VG+ condition, just a couple minute scuffs on furniture, and paid $575 shipped. I figured that was a deal. I would highly recommend it, if you can't find the LW, the 1100 LT is also a really great semi if a bit bigger. LOP on it is perfectly suited for a smaller framed shooter, and at the same time I can throw that thing to my shoulder and it just 'fits'. A friend borrowed it last year for the pheasant shoot in Taber, and he limited out with it, totally loved shooting it. And he is a larger individual. The older 1100s are a winner, and if you are set on a 12 instead of 20, you can find it in an LT as well. You can pick them up for under $600 in VG condition on CGN if you are patient. There is a 20g LT for sale there now, but buddy is asking over a grand, which is ridiculous.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 10-20-2016 at 02:39 PM.
Old 10-20-2016, 02:51 PM

Wholesale sports had some whetherby sa-08 on sale

Picked up the gh2 for the wife
Seems like a nice gun, havent shot it yet

I think the gh2 sale ended last night.. but the 20g deluxe still shows on sale for $599

Shows the deluxe 20 as 6 pounds if your interested.
Old 10-20-2016, 02:59 PM

Weatherby SA-08 in 20 gauge is a good gun for the money. Bought one last fall, shot about 400 rounds hunting, shot it this past summer shooting clays, another 500-600 rounds and using it currently this fall for geese and ducks, another 300 rounds, so far. Hasn't skipped a beat. Easy to clean and shoot/points pretty well. We also have a guy in our group who is shooting a Hatsan magnum 12 gauge that is a cheap gun but runs like a tank!
Old 10-22-2016, 06:36 AM

I'm looking to buy a Winchester sx3 compact 20 ga for my son next summer. We will likely buy it in July and shoot clays all summer. Just before wTerfowl opener he will be popping out of his blind shooting clay birds. I will probably start him with a fully plugged gun with only room for one in the chamber. He can get first crack at the birds and I'll shoot clean up. It should be fun.

Sorry. Didn't see the medium to low price range. Really the sx3 is medium price range for a semi at 1275 at P D Ent. You are probably looking for a lower priced gun. The weatherby can be had for 8-9 hundred new. With a little searching you could probably find a used gas semi for 5-6. Good luck and have fun.

Last edited by Ithaca Dog; 10-22-2016 at 06:42 AM.
Old 10-22-2016, 12:07 PM

Stoeger 3500!!!! Got mine last year, an awesome gun! $700 at Cabellas. Takes any size, from 23/4 to 3 1/2 inch shells.
It is made in Turkey by Binelli and has exactly the same action. The only difference is it is a bit heavier. Comes with 4 chokes. Great value for the dollar.