Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-07-2016, 06:31 PM

Default Computer help??

I use a Lenovo laptop and it recently crashed. I was told by 2 different shops it was pooched and my info was gone. So the one guy put a new hardrive in for me and I am trying to get everything back to "normal". The one site I'm having troubles with is a resort in Hawaii I have been to. It has a beach webcam but I can't get the webcam to work . The site opens for me but no cam. I checked on another computer and it worked. Is there some setting I need to turn on ? Youtube etc. works....sort of, lots of stalling etc but that's normal here.

Last edited by Bushmaster; 03-07-2016 at 06:42 PM.
Old 03-07-2016, 06:48 PM

You probably need to re-download and install Adobe Flash Player, a tiny program that allows videos to play on certain websites. I'd recommend downloading Chrome (a great internet browser from Google) instead, it negates the need for additional programs like Flash player or JavaScript and will likely fix your issue as well as run faster.

https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrom...top/index.html
Old 03-07-2016, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushmaster View Post
I use a Lenovo laptop and it recently crashed. I was told by 2 different shops it was pooched and my info was gone. So the one guy put a new hardrive in for me and I am trying to get everything back to "normal". The one site I'm having troubles with is a resort in Hawaii I have been to. It has a beach webcam but I can't get the webcam to work . The site opens for me but no cam. I checked on another computer and it worked. Is there some setting I need to turn on ? Youtube etc. works....sort of, lots of stalling etc but that's normal here.
Do you have your old Hard drive (always get the old hard drive if you did not in the future)? If you do and you have any important info, there is a good chance you can get that info back. I am assuming a few things with that, but I do it quite frequent for friends and family.
Old 03-07-2016, 06:59 PM

I do have the old hardrive. The one guy thought he might be able to get it back. In the end he said he couldn't but had a place he could send it to and they might.....but cost would be $1600 to $1800 with no guarantee.
Old 03-07-2016, 07:20 PM

Thanks AC, that solved the problem. Haven't tried it on youtube yet but the webcam works.

Didn't help with youtube though.
Old 03-08-2016, 06:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushmaster View Post
I do have the old hardrive. The one guy thought he might be able to get it back. In the end he said he couldn't but had a place he could send it to and they might.....but cost would be $1600 to $1800 with no guarantee.
If they are talking data recovery services, then the drive is most likely pooched.

What browser are you using and what version of windows? If internet explorer, download and install firefox - http://mozilla.com
Old 03-08-2016, 07:02 AM

Yeah, both stores told me the hard drive was pooched. I was running IE but switched to google chrome last nite. And its Windows 7 Professional.