Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-13-2016, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter1602 View Post
15 years on... Just fraud? Unless there was an attempted murder charge in there no way fellas sitting on a 15 year sentence.
wasn't just one count
it was like 30
as well as theft and I understand he also had auto theft
and was also charged with statutory rape
they threw the book at him and hit him hard with it
they all added up to 15 years consecutively
don't matter they took a scumbag douchebag off the streets
I just would have been happy with my money back but that didn't happen
Old 02-17-2016, 02:51 PM

Default Daniel Duta scammer!

Good day!
For those who have been scammed by Daniel Duta, just to let you know that his real name is Israel Akpotu Edo, from Nigeria.
Many complaints have been launched against him for trying to sell a Tavor.
He uses a false PAL #12662735.001
The e-mail he has been using is: wh4nut@yahoo.ca
Don't get caught in his scam!
Old 02-17-2016, 03:38 PM
Banned

Short or long action stock?
Old 02-17-2016, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papabear484 View Post
Good day!
For those who have been scammed by Daniel Duta, just to let you know that his real name is Israel Akpotu Edo, from Nigeria.
Many complaints have been launched against him for trying to sell a Tavor.
He uses a false PAL #12662735.001
The e-mail he has been using is: wh4nut@yahoo.ca
Don't get caught in his scam!
You are not alone always google all information when making an online purchase

http://ip.dexcms.com/spammer/maester...m-306-988-4047
Old 02-18-2016, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
On the other had, I have completed over a hundred transactions between this site and CGN, and I have never been scammed. I have walked away because I wasn't comfortable, but I can't say for sure that the person was a scammer. The site that I avoid altogether is Firearms Canada, because scams seem to be an everyday occurrence there.
Me too I have done a number of deals both here and CGN and never any problems, but scamming is more and more coming into everyday life, where it wasn't even 2 0r 3 years ago... FS
Old 02-18-2016, 07:44 AM

Default making a deal

Maybe it is my age but I would never send a payment for something completely on faith alone.C.o.d is an option but not perfect.A phone call and references you can talk with helps.I would make more deals if it was safer for sure
Old 02-18-2016, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
Just because its the "accepted standard" does it make it correct and efficient?
Yes, it does. Absolutely. If you want to see the item in person you're free to travel to meet the seller. It's not the sellers fault that you live somewhere else.

If the seller doesn't want to deal face to face then avoid them like the plague.

Last edited by CaberTosser; 02-18-2016 at 08:05 AM.
Old 02-18-2016, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Yes, it does. Absolutely. If you want to see the item in person you're free to travel to meet the seller. It's not the sellers fault that you live somewhere else.

If the seller doesn't want to deal face to face then avoid them like the plague.

This........

Great Post!!!
Old 02-18-2016, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adogwiththumbs View Post
This is what I have always done, please correct me if I'm wrong, cause I really want to keep the risk down.

I always get the sellers bank account info or give mine if I'm selling. You need proper identification to open/access a bank account. This gives a certain validity to the names involved in the transaction. You have a REAL name that way, and location.
I don't think that even if you have my account number, branch id and location, you can do anything with them. ?? This is the safest way I could think of and I haven't been scammed yet. If they don't want my money deposited into their account, that's fishy to me.
This is actually a really clever idea, never occurred to me. Worry of scammers has thus far kept me from doing any buying or selling, here, on CGN or HBC. The flip side is that because of that people may be reluctant to deal with me as I have no trade rating. People suck, the few always seem to ruin it for the many.
Old 02-19-2016, 06:56 AM

Unless the guy has a good rating over an extended period of time by a number of different people it's in person only until I have met the guy and done a deal with him, after that will deal with him again via emt and shipping but go meet the guy first and feel him out, talk to him face to face for 10 minutes and believe me a scammer or shyster will stick out like a sore thumb, if he doesn't want to meet you in person .......... well you know why, you will loose a few deals like this but spending $20 bucks on gas beats loosing $500 to a scammer.

Had a guy in Summerside PEI on CGN had exactly what I was looking for, rem 700 sendero 375 RUM send me 6 pics nice gun, something just didn't feel right though, luckily I knew a guy from past working days that lived in Summerside so I told him I had a buddy that lived there and would get him to come over and inspect the gun, pay him, pick up the gun and that my buddy would then ship it to me, he made excuses for days why he couldn't meet, would not give me his address or phone # or PAL # finally he just stopped communications and the trail went cold, saved $1200, when I started to inspect the pictures real close and blew them up big it turned out the gun was actually a 300 RUM and not a 375 RUM at all.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 02-19-2016, 08:35 AM

Default Scammers

"If" the RCMP really wanted to solve crime it would be nothing short of easy to post some WTB ads in different online forums like this one. The scammers would wander right into the RC's trap. I suppose that's too hard for them to figure out?
Old 02-19-2016, 09:07 AM

Default blackie9999

Some time ago I negotiated with this person about an item, apparently from Gibson,BC. I lived in Gibson years ago and recalled a story of a Blackie who at that time was the local coke dealer that died on the wrong end of a gun. I asked a number of questions and the correspondence just stopped. Coincidence perhaps, but it sounds like I got off lucky. Any major purchase I make on line now is thru paypal. I don't like giving them a % but don't trust emt anymore, there are too many scammers and too little enforcement of the laws.
Old 02-19-2016, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
"If" the RCMP really wanted to solve crime it would be nothing short of easy to post some WTB ads in different online forums like this one. The scammers would wander right into the RC's trap. I suppose that's too hard for them to figure out?
The Mounties, will use these crimes an as justification to ask the the government being back the long gun registry.

Use your own method to avoid getting scammed, for me that's trader rating, longevity on the forum, and checking who's left feedback. And most of all, finding someone or even myself doing a face to face.

There are no absolutes
Old 02-19-2016, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fil_Can_Yakker View Post
You cant go wrong using Paypal except buying firearms, both seller and buyer are protected.
How is this so?
I thought PayPal didn't guarantee firearms related transactions?
By that I mean they are anti firearms and don't have my proof at the moment, but had always heard they didn't back up the gun related stuff.
Well, this has given me the urge to go and look my statement up and see if it is true.
Rob
Old 02-19-2016, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
May be different if people scammed were "transgendered". Working class redneck gun buyers are not important enough politically to protect. Need to transform scam into hate crime for any response from police.
Old 02-19-2016, 12:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleJ View Post
May be different if people scammed were "transgendered". Working class redneck gun buyers are not important enough politically to protect. Need to transform scam into hate crime for any response from police.
X2
Old 02-19-2016, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbuzz View Post
Some time ago I negotiated with this person about an item, apparently from Gibson,BC. I lived in Gibson years ago and recalled a story of a Blackie who at that time was the local coke dealer that died on the wrong end of a gun. I asked a number of questions and the correspondence just stopped. Coincidence perhaps, but it sounds like I got off lucky. Any major purchase I make on line now is thru paypal. I don't like giving them a % but don't trust emt anymore, there are too many scammers and too little enforcement of the laws.
He is on CGN. Good trader rating, but a little bit different. Hardly gives feedback. Buys or trades, and then sells a week later.

He could be from Gibson, I don't recall. Did a gun trade with him, and it was an alright deal, but it was on a gun that turned out to be a pain to mount a scope on. Ended up selling the gun I got on trade to a friend.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 02-19-2016, 04:02 PM

I'm not sure if it's been said yet or not. My story is I was looking for a Remington titanium(still am) and a guy replied. Sent pictures. Looking good. No trader rating on here and very limited on cgn. I wanted the gun bad. I found a gun shop close to him and made arrangements for them to look the gun over and basically buy through them, have them ship it etc. Agreed on a price as basically commission. When I told the seller he would have nothing of taking the gun to them for this arrangement. Had to be emt. No deal. Scammer.
Old 02-19-2016, 04:45 PM

There is a guy selling on CGN who listed a bunch of guns for sale with no details about a week ago. Gave his email address for contact for info/pics. Trader rating shows some activity and he is on AO as well although has not posted in 3-4 years or so.

I emailed him about one of the guns.

He edits the ad - removed email contact info, puts up pics of half the guns

I PM and tell him I sent an email to the previous address and ask for pics. He replies that he will send me pics as soon as he has the gun in his hands - uhhh....WTF?

Checked the post again and he now has put up links to a few more of the guns but still not the one I was interested in. I did however notice that he has jacked up the price on the one I wanted info on by $250 now - still no pics or details on condition etc

I emailed him a couple of days back asking again for pics and whether he had now jacked the price up? - No response received.

Think I will forget about this guy - too many red flags. He is either a scammer or a flake who is selling guns for other people
Old 02-19-2016, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebrake View Post
I look at the persons trader rating and how long he has been a member of the site
I bought an item from a member that had a stellar trader rating and lots of them. The item I received from him was junk. I'm glad it was only $40.00. Was disappointed to the least. Didn't leave a negative I trader rating because it's tak n me a long time to build a good one for myself and didn't need anything negative on mine.
I wonder how many times that happens?
Old 02-19-2016, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
I bought an item from a member that had a stellar trader rating and lots of them. The item I received from him was junk. I'm glad it was only $40.00. Was disappointed to the least. Didn't leave a negative I trader rating because it's tak n me a long time to build a good one for myself and didn't need anything negative on mine.
I wonder how many times that happens?
That is a BIG mistake. Most places will make sure a seller can't leave you a negative rating for posting a rating about the seller. If we don't post honest trader ratings after giving the seller reasonable opportunity to make it right and be willing to fight them out then the whole trader rating thing turns to bull ****e. I would NEVER do something like this, posting true ratings is the only way to keep it safe for every one.
Old 02-19-2016, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
That is a BIG mistake. Most places will make sure a seller can't leave you a negative rating for posting a rating about the seller. If we don't post honest trader ratings after giving the seller reasonable opportunity to make it right and be willing to fight them out then the whole trader rating thing turns to bull ****e. I would NEVER do something like this, posting true ratings is the only way to keep it safe for every one.
Advice taken and it won't happen again.
To the OP, we learn from our mistakes, at least we should.
Old 02-21-2016, 01:26 PM
Banned

Default scammed

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardy View Post
I posted a want add, he replied. Should have listened to my gut right there. Not sure how to report to the mods, cause he was on here again today his user name is xdee.
Sorry Man
Old 02-29-2016, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
You are not alone always google all information when making an online purchase

http://ip.dexcms.com/spammer/maester...m-306-988-4047
He is at it still. Has his ad on guncellar.ca
Email address has changed to centuryarms@outlook.com
Going by someone's name that he no doubt scammed before.
He's using phone number : 902-708-0248
New alias: Paul Duncun McKinnon
I've contacted the RCMP to let them know that he is fraudulently using his pal information.
Old 02-29-2016, 11:02 AM

He has been busy

http://www.townpost.ca/buysell/halif...ment-xcr-l-223
Feb 12, 2016 - Price: $2000. Phone: 902-708-0248. Town: Halifax. E-mail: wh4nut@yahoo.ca. Robinson XCR rifle in 5.56mm. This gun is a factory built piston ...

This ad was pulled before I could get details looks another email he has been using
Old 02-29-2016, 07:49 PM

I got scammed a couple years ago for $1200 from a guy on here. I wasn't the only one and I bet he made probably $6k off the one ad. The payment was made through EMT. Yes you need id to open an account so it shouldn't be hard to track the person down you would think and the bank can do it with police request. However the police won't help you which is what I don't understand. It wouldn't be that hard for them and the scams add up. I bet you a scammer can make $30-60k a month. I would have thought that would get attention from a LEO but it doesn't seem to warrant any interest.

PCFGA on Facebook