Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 11-12-2014, 10:09 PM

Default Getting into bow hunting

I've only been hunting for 4 years or so but I wouldn't mind the possibility of getting into bow hunting in the near future.

My question is, where does a guy start? Can a guy go shoot arrows and practice without having to buy his own, or do guys buy their own bows and just practice as much as possible? Are there any tips/sites that can been given to increase my interest/knowledge for the discipline?

I'm sure I'll have more questions
Old 11-12-2014, 11:15 PM

Usually the lane rental bows are pretty lame, but it will give you an Idea if you want to pursue it farther.
Be realistic with the budget you set for equipment, and decide if you want to go compound or traditional. each has it's followers and pro's and cons.

Remember bow hunting is about getting close, not shooting far, and archery is supposed to be fun.
You do not need a lot of draw weight either. So be realistic about what you can draw and shoot well. To much draw weight for your ability is not a good thing.

If you are intrested in the traditional side, Longbows and recurves get in contact with me and I can help .
Pete
Old 11-13-2014, 12:04 PM

your best friend to answer your questions is your local archery shop who can provide advice and rent bows
Old 11-13-2014, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B. View Post
your best friend to answer your questions is your local archery shop who can provide advice and rent bows
What Richard said..........

lol

Neil
Old 11-13-2014, 01:00 PM

Archery talk.com

If you go to a store, they will try to sell product.
Old 11-13-2014, 01:11 PM

Wait until Jimbows opens the doors up there, go see them and they will help you out, or go see Neil at Lost, he seems to be really helpful with everyone on here. I started bow hunting 10 years ago and Jim helped me out big time without the pressure of buying anything. Best thing you can do is hopefully have a friend that bow hunts and have him/her mentor you on the in/outs of the sport.
Old 11-13-2014, 02:27 PM

Archery shops are a great place to learn and meet fellow shooters. Most are more than happy to chat about bows and archery. The good salespeople will share the ins and outs of archery with out pushing a bow on you and it will give you a chance to hold bows and give you an idea of what kind of money you might need to spend. The big box stores are hit and miss. There are some great staff and some not so great at Cabela's etc.
Accurate archery, Wyld archery and Jimbow's when it opens will all be worth checking out. If you could make it to Wainwright to see Neil at Lost Arrow that would be a great place to check out.

As far as websites go check out Hunters friend.com it has a lot of great info on bows and arrows.

Enjoy your research. Archery is a great hobby!
Old 11-13-2014, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by double gun View Post
Archery talk.com

Old 11-13-2014, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallAirFever View Post
Archery shops are a great place to learn and meet fellow shooters. Most are more than happy to chat about bows and archery. The good salespeople will share the ins and outs of archery with out pushing a bow on you and it will give you a chance to hold bows and give you an idea of what kind of money you might need to spend. The big box stores are hit and miss. There are some great staff and some not so great at Cabela's etc.
Accurate archery, Wyld archery and Jimbow's when it opens will all be worth checking out. If you could make it to Wainwright to see Neil at Lost Arrow that would be a great place to check out.

As far as websites go check out Hunters friend.com it has a lot of great info on bows and arrows.

^^ Definitely this.

I also learned a lot from Archery Talk but this forum and speaking to owners (employees) and customers in archery shops has helped the most.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 11-14-2014, 08:28 AM

I've had awesome dealings with the guys at Wholesale Edmonton North and Cabelas Edmonton South. Great guys that will let you try before you buy and most are very knowledgeable. Of course nothing compares to the specialty stores where the staff there have an invested interest in what they sell and service. I know Cabelas will set up a bow and let you throw some arrows down range to see if you like the bow.
Read up on the archery forums and try some bows.
How do you know you actually like something without trying it?
Old 11-14-2014, 09:24 AM

I cannot stress this enough...Find someone that is a bow hunter already and get a good lesson and ask a million questions! Shoot at least 5 different bows before you choose 1, that includes if possible different releases also. I was lucky enough to have a very ANAL MENTOR that would quiz me on different scenarios of what he taught me......my 2nd time out i harvested my 1st deer. Having someone with experience will make it way more enjoyable for you !!!
Old 11-14-2014, 09:47 AM

X2 for what SCHOOCH said!!!

Shoot as many different bows as you can and talk to some experienced people on the subject!
Find the bow that YOU like and that you are CONFIDENT in!
Old 11-16-2014, 08:11 PM

thanks for the advice, everyone. I'll keep this all in mind.
Old 11-23-2014, 07:12 PM

http://www.bowtraining.com/archery-essentials

would doing this 1 hour course be a waste of time? is it worth it at all? just curious.
Old 11-23-2014, 07:52 PM

I have never seen this training but at $15 im sure it wouldn't hurt.
Old 11-23-2014, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Archery talk.com

depends, if you have a qualitypro shopnear you I suggest going there since your gonna have to go there anyways to get your bow setup but the archerytalk classifieds is a great way to buy bows on the cheap, just be careful its addicting
Old 11-23-2014, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy17 View Post
http://www.bowtraining.com/archery-essentials

would doing this 1 hour course be a waste of time? is it worth it at all? just curious.
google hunters friend, and archerytalk, everything you could possibly want to know is explained in those 2 places
Old 11-23-2014, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallAirFever View Post

this
Old 11-24-2014, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Archery talk.com

In a sence you may be correct as that is how they put food on the table...more so with box stores...

Smaller shops will take the time...

As a shooter/bowhunter... most of us are "fanboys" of different brands..so suggestions and opinions may be one sided...

As a dealer...you can actually shoot several different brands and decide for yourself...Technical analysis may be more vast as they work on all or many brands...agreed they might not suggest a brand they dont carry...but there is usually a good reason for that!

Neil
Old 11-28-2014, 09:26 PM

Got another questions, ill just add them to this thread when I keep coming up with them..

In rifle hunting, if you shoot an animal and its still alive when you walk up to it, you just shoot it to put it out of its misery. Is it the same with bow hunting in the sense that you go up, draw the bow and shoot?
probably a dumb question but bare with me
Old 11-28-2014, 11:37 PM

All depends on the circumstance, walking up to any animal that is injured and is still showing some kick i would put another arrow, a animal that is pretty close to death and pretty much on their last little bit of life and suffering i have used my knife to finish it quickly.
Old 11-29-2014, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy17 View Post
Got another questions, ill just add them to this thread when I keep coming up with them..

In rifle hunting, if you shoot an animal and its still alive when you walk up to it, you just shoot it to put it out of its misery. Is it the same with bow hunting in the sense that you go up, draw the bow and shoot?
probably a dumb question but bare with me
A larger more powerful animal like a moose...if you can get a good shot then go for it.

All animals always approach from the back (out of kicking range) and you can use your knife....if you want to save the cape straight in and turn and wiggle the knife....sewing may be required

LC
Old 11-29-2014, 10:32 PM

It's great to practice at an indoor archery facililty over the winter but also try to get involved with the 3D archery sport. It's a really good simulation for huntiing as you are shooting at actual life size foam targets. It teaches you the kill zones and helps with your yardage estimates. There are quite a few
3D shoots over the winter. The first, I believe, is Lloydminster's shoot which is usually the first weekend after New Years. You don't have to be an expert to shoot in one of these shoots and you can learn a lot from your fellow archers. Several of us have been addicted to 3D for a number of years and don't mind helping the newbies out at all.

Sherwood Park Archery Club shoots indoors over the winter up to 50 yards and I think it's three days a week. You could certainly sight in your bow on one of these nights. Non-members are welcome and pay a fee for each night they shoot. Check their website.

A word of caution though, YOU WILL BECOME ADDICTED TO 3D!!
Old 11-29-2014, 10:40 PM

I am definitely interested. I will look into it for sure, I got to if I want to be at all ready for september 2015.

I'll probably have to rent equipment for the first while, depending on whether or not i get into NAIT in January for my 4th year electrical. Ive gotta physically get my hands on a bow cuz right now I don't even know which way I'd shoot. I think Left but stance wise they both feel pretty natural.
Old 11-30-2014, 07:44 PM

If you are asking that many questions, I think you already have the bug so find a way and just go for it. When I started, I was just looking for a way to be allowed to go after mule deer and not wait forever for a draw. After my first season I was hooked, I shot a small 2X2 buck and a doe. What a blast. Now I always feel a little disapointed when rifle season start, it's the time of the year when my area get really busy and it's not so peacefull anymore. Don't get me wrong, I still go out with the rifle since I have yet to arrow a bull elk and I sure want some meat for the table. But it's a bitter sweet vitory every year when the rifle goes off and I have my elk down because it mean that I will have to wait another 9 to 10 month before I can go after them with my bow again. It is a great sport, and if you start practicing soon, you should be good to go by September.

X-mas is coming, you could give suggestion to Santa.

Also you don't need all the most expensive equipment. There is a lot of very decent starter kit that are really good and won't break the bank too much.
Old 12-01-2014, 06:54 AM

If you don't the limbd you can but limb decals from onestirnger

good luck with the with the seatfh
Old 12-01-2014, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brohymn2 View Post

? huh...lol
Old 12-01-2014, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brohymn2 View Post

LOL......ya need more sleep
Old 12-01-2014, 02:15 PM

If Jim-bows North is anything like Jim-bows south get yourself in there. i ended up buying a second had bow off here...and got burned with a dry fired bow (different story), Jim-bows sorted me out great and had me fixed and shooting in no time.
Ask every question you can think off, it may sound stupid but you will not be the first to ask, also from personal experience if you want to get into hunting for next season get a bow very soon and shoot that thing until it is like second nature, your hunting experience will be a lot better.
good luck
Old 03-20-2015, 08:13 PM

well, as of today I am officially a journeyman electrician. I passed my branch exam and Im totally stoked I can stop focusing so much on school and get right into archery full on.
Id be a liar if I said that I wasn't distracted sitting on my computer looking up bowhunting information when I should have been doing homework or studying.. that seemed to happen often haha