Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-04-2015, 07:56 PM

Does this mean my backpack over the Jeep hood under my forearm hand and rolled up coveralls under the butt isn't uber enough. I shoot moa down cutlines when practicing with my 444, minute of animal.

You can tell there are a bunch of die hard hunters on this forum. It is amazing the rabbit trails we go down on from a friendly question.

We need a, "My bag is the best, prove it" thread to make it all the way to the rabbit, lol! did I write that down?
Old 01-04-2015, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck Bob View Post
Does this mean my backpack over the Jeep hood under my forearm hand and rolled up coveralls under the butt isn't uber enough.
Nope, but it is illegal.

-Billy Molls
Old 01-04-2015, 08:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Does this mean my backpack over the Jeep hood under my forearm hand and rolled up coveralls under the butt isn't uber enough. I shoot moa down cutlines when practicing with my 444, minute of animal.

You can tell there are a bunch of die hard hunters on this forum. It is amazing the rabbit trails we go down on from a friendly question.

We need a, "My bag is the best, prove it" thread to make it all the way to the rabbit, lol! did I write that down?
You run a 444? you are forgiven my son. we gottta talk sometime.....
Old 01-04-2015, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
Add some soysauce, egg, black pepper, diced onion and optional chicken. Put in a heated skillet for 3-4 minutes medium high and its ready to serve.

I see this as a win-win situation.
Lmao. Copy. I'll rig up a tactical chef pouch next to my dump pouch and magazine pouches
Old 01-06-2015, 09:22 AM
Precisionshooter

Find a steel casting foundry - possibly others. They may use zircon or chromite sand. Quality steel foundry in edmonton was a source some time ago. Google and make some phone calls.......
Old 01-06-2015, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Nope, but it is illegal.
Please note the word practice as in targeting not hunting. Shooting targets safely on Crown land remains legal.
Old 01-06-2015, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Please note the word practice as in targeting not hunting. Shooting targets safely on Crown land remains legal.
I think what Chuck was getting at is shooting off the hood of a vehicle technically is not legal....no matter what the purpose, target or hunting.

LC
Old 01-06-2015, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Not off the hood of your truck.

-Billy Molls
Old 01-06-2015, 11:33 AM
Banned

Chuck is correct. In fact, if your gun is leaning against the tire with ammo in the magazine (doesn't have to be in chamber) and the fish cop is having a bad day, technically it is considered the same as having it on the seat or inside the truck.
Old 01-06-2015, 12:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
Chuck is correct. In fact, if your gun is leaning against the tire with ammo in the magazine (doesn't have to be in chamber) and the fish cop is having a bad day, technically it is considered the same as having it on the seat or inside the truck.
The only exception is a handicapped person who is in possession of a Weapons Discharge Permit. This authorizes the person to have a loaded firearm on or in, or discharge a weapon from a parked vehicle.
Old 01-06-2015, 04:43 PM

Thanks for the update guys, it is really appreciated! Wow, can't shoot a tin can using the Jeep hood as a rest. I thought using the hood as a rest was different because it was not hunting and the rifle was outside the vehicle.
Old 01-06-2015, 06:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lclund1946 View Post
The only exception is a handicapped person who is in possession of a Weapons Discharge Permit. This authorizes the person to have a loaded firearm on or in, or discharge a weapon from a parked vehicle.
Well I learn something new everday. I wasn't áware of that, but it makes perfect sense.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the update guys, it is really appreciated! Wow, can't shoot a tin can using the Jeep hood as a rest. I thought using the hood as a rest was different because it was not hunting and the rifle was outside the vehicle.
Lol yea foresure.and when fish and feathers sees me target shooting behind the barn over the hood of my truck on private property hes gunna storm the place hay.hope he didnt see me shoot that gopher.love to see what that ticket is gunna be written out for LOL.
Old 01-07-2015, 10:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret coulee View Post
Lol yea foresure.and when fish and feathers sees me target shooting behind the barn over the hood of my truck on private property hes gunna storm the place hay.hope he didnt see me shoot that gopher.love to see what that ticket is gunna be written out for LOL.
Unfortunately the ticket for shooting a gopher from in or on your truck will be the same as if you were shooting at a deer or any other wildlife on private land. I spent quite a bit of time trying to get the Alberta SRD minister to change the law so that gophers and other varmints would not be classified as wildlife, under the Wildlife Act. Also lobbied to have the minister change the law so that everyone could legally shoot varmints from a stationary vehicle, where it was lawful to do so. I appealed to fellow AOF members to join in the lobby but got mostly the same BS as is still being perpetuated by many on this forum.

The only AOF member that helped me in this endeavor was Alberta Separatist and thanks mainly to his help the law was changed in 2011 to allow handicapped people to shoot all wildlife from in or on a stationary, licensed, vehicle. Perhaps if a few more people had helped we would have been successful in our endeavor to make it legal for everyone to shoot gophers, and other varmints, from a stationary vehicle.
Old 01-07-2015, 10:39 PM

Thanks for posting IcIund 1946 and great post.
Wish i was around the time or mabey was while you were trying to make head way,thank you for all you tried to do for us.
Very unfortunate on the other hand with the limited backing you had but by the sounds of your post,by true outdoorsemen that bitch and belly ache,even to this stage that try to converse any argument as it seems a big majority are the AOF police and always trying to obtain the all mighty roll.
Im sorry to all for saying whats on my mind because the gunns&ammo thread is a good one with very limited confrontations and runs very true.i speak very little because i enjoy the passion and knowledge that many go out of there way to always help out one in need.
Thanks guys
Old 01-07-2015, 11:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
IMHO,this is an urban legend/rural myth that's been regurgitated nation wide so many times that it's now accepted as truth.Ive "heard" this from hunters literally coast to coast over 30+ years......I've never heard tell of a single person being charged for same.
I'd love to see the legislation,assuming it exists,keep in mind presumably exists in every province(?) that defines and prohibits leaning your rifle against a tire while you eat a sandwich.Id also question the mental stability of any fish n feathers that would actually charge somebody for same....again,if such a law even exists,bad day for fish cop notwithstanding,I think one would have to a special kind of deserving,obnoxious ***** to force that charge unto themself?
Old 01-08-2015, 12:12 AM

So you're saying that of all the rifles ever propped against trucks, most resulted in the rifle being run over than in the owner being ticketed.

Old 01-08-2015, 05:07 PM
Banned

Default Who knows

OP is happy he asked what question?LOL
Old 01-08-2015, 05:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepwoods View Post
IMHO,this is an urban legend/rural myth that's been regurgitated nation wide so many times that it's now accepted as truth.Ive "heard" this from hunters literally coast to coast over 30+ years......I've never heard tell of a single person being charged for same.
I'd love to see the legislation,assuming it exists,keep in mind presumably exists in every province(?) that defines and prohibits leaning your rifle against a tire while you eat a sandwich.Id also question the mental stability of any fish n feathers that would actually charge somebody for same....again,if such a law even exists,bad day for fish cop notwithstanding,I think one would have to a special kind of deserving,obnoxious ***** to force that charge unto themself?
My dad was charged for that very same thing. I need not explain it nor prove it to you. Take my word for what it is or not, I couldn't careless.
Old 01-08-2015, 05:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
Darn, I fell for it. Such distance from the original post and now unto legalities. I shoulda know better and stayed outta of it. My apologies to the OP for such a derail.
Old 01-09-2015, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
I asked a question... oh ya, i got a bit distracted after trying to reclassify gophers...

So, back to the task at hand here, guess I should have started out with this.

" I am not a pro bench rest shooter, I purchased Caldwell bags, saw them on sale so I picked up the pair. I am looking for an effective fill for them. Organic or manmade, I don't really care what, just something that will work."

Thanks for the suggestions, experiences and the laughs gentleman!!!

Always an interesting read in these forums! lol
Old 01-09-2015, 07:45 PM

Quote:
My dad was charged for that very same thing. I need not explain it nor prove it to you. Take my word for what it is or not, I couldn't careless.
My dad was as well! Gun leaning against the tire while he was eating lunch.

-Billy Molls
Old 01-09-2015, 11:02 PM

To get back to sandbags.... When I first started shooting a BR rifle I figured it must be called a sandbag for a reaon so I filled mine with sand. Over the years, I have had a few different bags and continued to fill them with sand. Seems to work alright. My first sand was from along the North Thompson river north of Kamloops. Subsequent bags were filled with sand from wherever I could get it with the latest coming from along the Kootenay river. It really seems to work OK. Of course, others do a better job of keeping up with the latest trends and I am undoubtedly out of step. Leeper
Old 01-09-2015, 11:20 PM
Banned

Thank you, I have sand from an unnamed golf course.
Old 01-10-2015, 09:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by purgatory.sv View Post
Thank you, I have sand from an unnamed golf course.
Golf Course sand could end up being above par...don't want that!

R.