Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-23-2014, 08:27 PM

Default 353 elk

Ok here's the deal ... I'm NOT asking where to go - I simply would like to know from someone that has been there recently if the cows are herding up yet. Looking to be up there in early Dec.
Old 11-23-2014, 08:43 PM

From what I have seen yes they are.
Old 11-24-2014, 01:44 PM

Was there for a week in Sept and a week in Nov and didn't see an elk, nor very few tracks. We covered lots of ground but no luck
Old 11-24-2014, 02:21 PM

was there for 4 days last week, trail cam had cows and calves with a single bull in there for good measure. Active from about midnight until 6 am. Good luck finding them in the daylight!
Old 11-24-2014, 04:16 PM

Well that isn't sounding very good. Was up in early Nov. but they hadn't really herded up. Was hoping they'd started 😁😁😁
Old 11-24-2014, 05:21 PM

353 is part of my trapline on the outh end. I was up there last week and coverd over 50Km and ot one Elk track. Seen a bunch in the summer. I suspect they are south alone the Athabasca river or further west.
Old 11-29-2014, 02:07 AM

Been up there a few times this season, looking to fill my Undersubscribed Elk tag. Personally I haven't been seeing much for tracks, have yet to see any elk in their tracks, lol.
I figure that they, like mentioned by Critter are nocturnal and bedding down during daylight.

I have been focusing on the south west portion of the WMU, walking cutblocks and cutlines between 734 and ghost main... maybe I am in the wrong area.

On my way out last time, I saw a group of cow elk, about 7 or so right on the side of hiway 40, well south of 353, can't recall where I saw them. Caught a glimpse as I was driving along.. was more focused on the road but I saw them pawing at the hill side.

Cheers,

Anvil
Old 11-30-2014, 05:28 PM

Well I'm thinking of heading up the trunk road and going to give it a shot. Hope the snow isn't to bad!!!
Old 11-30-2014, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1savagehunter View Post
Well I'm thinking of heading up the trunk road and going to give it a shot. Hope the snow isn't to bad!!!
Curious as to how the conditions are out there myself hope the snow isn't too bad, I wanted to get up this weekend, but just couldn't pull off a trip out, budget, chores around the acreage and school work wouldn't allow for it.

I am studying for Final exams this week and write next week 10-12th, after that I hope to get out at least once more for a day or so before season end on the 20th.

Hope you find a herd of cow elk!

Cheers,

Jonathan
Old 11-30-2014, 10:25 PM

Went out to the trap line to check traps Thursday night. Took the side x side had to retreat and get the skidoo. snowed almost 2 feet overnight. Down the big stone. Only snowed a little over a foot. Was straight powder though might settle this week with the warmer temps.
Old 12-01-2014, 07:37 AM

They are down in the River Valleys well away from activity, find areas that hunters couldn't access early in the season by quad. South or West facing slopes. They are there, totally nocturnal.
Old 12-01-2014, 09:38 AM

The trunk road right now is in pretty poor conditions, was up there yesterday and I was glad I brought my chains, the road got awfully sketchy in a couple areas, especially around the hills and the mountain passes

I wouldn't go back out there without chains and 4x4

Last edited by backcountry cowboy; 12-01-2014 at 09:45 AM.
Old 12-01-2014, 06:18 PM

I thought they'd be plowing the trunk road for sure by now? I thought up to the smoky tower and up to frying pan creek would be cleared up???
Old 12-10-2014, 12:26 AM

Hey everyone,

How goes the 353 cow elk hunt?
The season for my cow elk draw is coming up to an end in 10 days...

I am itching to get out again, been really plugging away at my studies and plan to reward myself with some more hunting.

Was unable to fill my WT supplemental tags this past season, as I was just too busy with classes and could not get out when I wanted to

Final exams are this week, I am writing 3 finals Wed -Fri then this semester is done with and I will have some time off to get out and hopefully have a chance to fill my tag. Things have been tough financially while I have been at NAIT, so filling the freezer with some elk meat would be a huge help to get myself through the rest of winter and into the next two semesters. I imagine an elk would last me a long time.

I am hoping to get out during the 15th-20th...

That being said anyone been out there as of late? How are the road conditions?
Anyone seeing anything? Feel free to PM myself.

Cheers,

Jonny Anvil
Old 12-10-2014, 01:41 AM

Take the above advice and hunt hard in the river valleys and bottoms.

We are expecting pics.........good luck!!!