Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 05-27-2014, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
Because of an online tournament that I am in I have to take pictures of almost every fish I catch. A net makes a huge difference and makes it so much easier. The key is to have a good net that the lures/fish don't get tangled up into.

Once I get the fish to the kayak I net it and then set the net handle on my lap so that the fish is still in the water. That gives me time to grab pliers and to get camera etc ready all while the fish is still in the water. Then I remove hook and lift fish out of water for picture and then release him. Most fish are not out of the water for more then 15 seconds unless they are hooked really bad.

Not bringing a net because you don't plan on taking pictures is fine but if you think there is a chance you want a picture I wouldn't leave home without the net. It makes things so much easier for me and the fish.
I agree with you 100% with everything you said. The nets that are made these days are much better on the fish than the old braid nets that used to leave the net pattern on the fish.
Old 05-28-2014, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fackaroo View Post
i was a fishing guide up on great slave for 4 years and i have landed everything from a 1 pound grayling all the way up to a 43 pound trout all with my hands nets just take the slime off of a fish. To me that has always been cruelty so if you are going to keep it then sure a net would work but other wise just be a man and use your hands
It really depends on what kind of net you are talking about. The old fashion cotton ones did remove the slime but the new plastic nets do not and are much safer than hands. A dry hand will immediately remove a patch of protective slime from Trout especially. I've seen Trout with fungus infectins that where hand shaped.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 05-28-2014, 05:31 PM
Banned

I like a net anytime I'm dealing with fish larger then lil pansize trout,and even then,it's easier to control them from flopping around,squirting out of your hand etc. As often as possible I don't touch the fish at all,simply slide my hand down the leader,grab the hook and turn it upside down with trout in the water.If I must touch a trout to remove a hook,I always soak my hand first.
With bigger,stronger trout,say 14-15"+ and salmon,steelhead etc.,I beleive a net just simply allows me to land a fish that much quicker,rather then playing it to near exhaustion and/or excessive time muckn around trying to tail a spunky fish that I probably could have netted and released 6x over in the same timeframe.
Old 05-28-2014, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinr View Post
I like a net anytime I'm dealing with fish larger then lil pansize trout,and even then,it's easier to control them from flopping around,squirting out of your hand etc. As often as possible I don't touch the fish at all,simply slide my hand down the leader,grab the hook and turn it upside down with trout in the water.If I must touch a trout to remove a hook,I always soak my hand first.
With bigger,stronger trout,say 14-15"+ and salmon,steelhead etc.,I beleive a net just simply allows me to land a fish that much quicker,rather then playing it to near exhaustion and/or excessive time muckn around trying to tail a spunky fish that I probably could have netted and released 6x over in the same timeframe.
Some very good points
Old 05-28-2014, 06:09 PM

I swear by my Ketchum 'de-hooker'!
With a little tension on the leader, just slide it down the line and it pops the hook out - even hooks way down the gullet. You never even touch the fish.

If I'm taking photos of trout - then using a net to hold them while I get organized works best for me. The odd time I'll slide a pike or bass up onto the grass for a quick shot - bad form, I know!

http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=230y
Old 05-28-2014, 06:46 PM

This looks like a great tool to help aid in the removal of hooks from fish. Might have to give iy a try this open water season.
Old 05-28-2014, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
I swear by my Ketchum 'de-hooker'!
With a little tension on the leader, just slide it down the line and it pops the hook out - even hooks way down the gullet. You never even touch the fish.

http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=230y
Yep, this is, by far, the best method I've found for releasing fish. Be sure your hook is barbless. Barbed hooks are considerably harder to remove causing more wear and tear on the fish's mouth.
Old 05-28-2014, 09:34 PM

convinced me.just ordered one.tks!
Old 05-28-2014, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin1949 View Post
convinced me.just ordered one.tks!
Great thread that turned Into something very positive!
Old 05-29-2014, 06:26 AM

The reason I really like nets is it gives fish of any size a bit of time for recovery. A small exhausted trout for example is a great target for a big Bull or Brown. It give me a chance to admire the fish without touching it and keeping it in the water till it recovers and can swim away full strength. its also a great way to hold it for a pix without harm. I especially like the new Ghost nets that are clear and dont scare fish as much as a black mesh.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations