Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 04-19-2014, 09:41 AM
Banned

Default Favourite gloves for fly fishing this time of year?

I was wondering what sort of hand warming systems you gentlemen use for fly fishing at this time of year?

Thank you
Old 04-19-2014, 09:56 AM

same as the winter glove, simms finger-less wool.

on the occasions I forget the woolies I have a pair of glacier gloves stripping gloves. the glaciar gloves come off as soon as they get wet. great summer glove maybe.
Old 04-19-2014, 01:02 PM

I just use those knitted gloves with rubberized palms.
Old 04-19-2014, 01:09 PM

No gloves = hands that you can dry and warm up. Gloves even wool ones get wet = cold really cold hands all day.
Old 04-19-2014, 02:35 PM

I use a hemostat to release fish .Hands only contact with water is line but rubberized palms take care of that.Rarely use extra pair that I always carry.
Old 04-19-2014, 05:32 PM

Wool fingerless gloves. Warm even when wet.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 04-19-2014, 05:34 PM
Banned

Cool

I had a set of fingerless ones from these guys years ago . Hot pocket in the palm and your good to go in most any weather. Cant find the fingerless on the sight. http://www.universal-textiles.com/UK-UT/utgl259.php
Old 04-19-2014, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
Wool fingerless gloves. Warm even when wet.
before this winter, i had no idea how warm wool clothing could be. now its gloves, long sleeve first layer, long johns, socks. toasty and dry.
Old 04-20-2014, 08:06 AM

Over the last 55 years on woods and water I've tried most of the so called hi-teck clothing with lots of promises from manufacturers, most of its BS. I keep going back to wool. Still the warmest winter jacket I have are a couple of wool Mackinaw Jackets handed down from my Dad. They are most likely well over 70 years old but still in great shape after 2 generations.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 04-20-2014, 08:15 AM

Wool Stanfield underwear... the only acceptable legitimate excuse for scratching your junk in public. I love my smartwool though
Old 04-20-2014, 08:18 AM

Taco,

Where ya' getting the Stanfields greatest product? I've cleaned out nearly every place in Central Alberta.
Nothing better than Kroy Wool Undies.

Don
Old 04-20-2014, 08:46 AM

I got a couple pair of one piece's floatin' around but they ain't seen much use since I discovered Helly Hansen's use of polypropylene.

The same warmth at half the itch and 3 times the cost............Helluva thing to say to a all natural fibres man such as yourself.
Old 04-20-2014, 09:34 AM

I've been wearing those x armour wicking long Johns under a pair of regular stanfields they move the moisture away from the skin and it gets trapped in the second layer never been warmer with so little under my waders
Old 04-20-2014, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rycoma View Post
I've been wearing those x armour wicking long Johns under a pair of regular stanfields they move the moisture away from the skin and it gets trapped in the second layer never been warmer with so little under my waders
for most of the winter I wore the HH polypropylene long johns under a pair of MEC fleece pants. This combo moved so much moisture I brought my waders into the shop to check for leaks. "where is all this dampness coming from?"

thin liner socks from simms, a pair of smartwool socks and even the toes made it through most of the coldest days in the river.

back to gloves. tried many. mentioned earlier, glaciar gloves sun stripping glove, simms fingerless wool, seal skins supposedly submersible, looked into the patagonia R1 neoprene. none of these gloves keep your hands dry, go with the fabric that will at least keep you warm when wet. and wool gloves are cheap too.
Old 04-20-2014, 12:27 PM

If it's cold enough, I have a pair if Canadian Tire mechanics gloves that I use. They fit snug and have the thumb, middle, and pointy finger exposed just below the middle joint. They work absolutely perfect, I can fish all day in these and keep my digits warm. Not bad for 12 bucks.